Arcam Solo Partners

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I need some ideas as to which speakers will complement an Arcam Solo.

Not too bothered whether Standmount or Floorstander, but unsure which way to look!

Budget would be anything upto £850 but is this too high for the Solo as only 50w per channel??

John Duncan

Not at all, the more money the better. I won't pre-empt drummerman's suggestion, but I'm a standmount kind of bloke, so will suggest Spendor (S3/5r), PMC (DB1i) and ProAc (Tablette Reference 8) for starters.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i have the solo movie but use the rear surrounds to bi-amp my fronts - i use the Quad 12L2s and i am very happy with the sound - although these are a lot less than what your suggesting to spend but personaaly think they are a great match sonically. However i use this as a second system in my bedroom so guess would also depend on th sixe of your room

I can't disagree with what has been suggested, although I haven't heard the new Quads, so cannot comment on those.

As regards floorstanders, MA BR5's would match well with the Solo. Likewise give Kef a whirl, the IQ5SE's & IQ7SE's (£400 & £600 respectively).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You could do worse than Dali Ikon 6 floorstanders. They are 1m tall but quite thin so will fit in narrow gaps and I have some in a small room and they work very well with Arcam and positioning. If you were to go to audiologica.com you could get some ex demo.

JohnDuncan:Not at all, the more money the better. I won't pre-empt drummerman's suggestion, but I'm a standmount kind of bloke, so will suggest Spendor (S3/5r), PMC (DB1i) and ProAc (Tablette Reference 8) for starters.

Surely, JD, you have to draw the line somewhere. I can understand the logic behind your suggestion but an amp is limited by the quality of its internals.

I personally would only spend around £200 either side of the cost of the amplifier. I can't see how pound for pound there would be a significant difference on what is essentially an A70? (sound quality-wise, I mean).

John Duncan

plastic penguin:JohnDuncan:Not at all, the more money the better. I won't pre-empt drummerman's suggestion, but I'm a standmount kind of bloke, so will suggest Spendor (S3/5r), PMC (DB1i) and ProAc (Tablette Reference 8) for starters.

Surely, JD, you have to draw the line somewhere. I can understand the logic behind your suggestion but an amp is limited by the quality of its internals.

I personally would only spend around £200 either side of the cost of the amplifier. I can't see how pound for pound there would be a significant difference on what is essentially an A70? (sound quality-wise, I mean).

You'd think, yeah, but I say this because speakers are the one area where the more and more expensive the speaker I've heard, the better and better the sound (with good examples, obviously). I have heard three- and eight-grand speakers on the end of a Rega Mira and they were a revelation.

Now I'm not saying if you buy a two hundred quid amp and a four grand pair of speakers that you're sorted, I think there is a balance to be achieved, but with a Solo that's all you've got - the only thing you can do to improve it is speakers, so spend as much as you possibly can.

jd

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Not at all, the more money the better. I won't pre-empt drummerman's suggestion, but I'm a standmount kind of bloke, so will suggest Spendor (S3/5r), PMC (DB1i) and ProAc (Tablette Reference 8) for starters.

Monitor Audio or B&W 685?

John Duncan

drummerman:

Don't confuse the man. Repeat after me..........
emotion-5.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:drummerman:

Don't confuse the man. Repeat after me..........
emotion-5.gif

Don't confuse the man ...
emotion-13.gif

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
MA GS10. Tried some with my A80 a while ago, and they were about the best thing I'd ever heard up to that point. Fantastic match.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:fr0g you would like my ProAcs and my Dalis actually. Totally different but both have their time

Dont forget, my current speakers are Dali Ikon 6 ;)...and yes I like them very much. The room I am in now really benefits a floorstander.

However, the GS10s are probably my favorite speaker I have listened to with the Arcam amp. It was a match made in heaven that unfortunately I couldn't afford at the time.

A

Anonymous

Thankyou for all you comments, I appreciate all of your help.

In the end I had a crazy moment and opted for some ProAc Studio 140's -

personally, these were stunningly good with a glorious weighty sound, rich

in detail and perfect with either delicate recordings or simply belting out

harder stuff. Blew the budget completely but heh, my ears didn't lie!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts