Arcam Solo Neo Vs budget separates

Ernie

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi folks I am just after your opinion with the following questions in relation to sound quality it will produce will speakers such at Dali Zensor 3

Is the arcam solo Neo likely to be as good or better than budget seperates e.g marantz 6005 amp cd combo. And will it be considerably better than my denon m37 that I use now.

Is the Neo amp a lot better than the solo mini amp?

I am considering doing what I know you will all advise against and buying without an audition as it will be some time before I find time to travel to hear any kit in action, so I would love some quality opinions.

Many thanks

I would say it'll be a little better than a budget separate kit. I've only heard the original Solo on speakers unfamiliar to me: Musos. This was at a hi-fi show and the Arcam rep did say at the time there would be little between the Solo and my A65+ and CD73T. Now the later 'Neo' version, according to reviews, has more transparency and detail, but I can't personally confirm this.

It'll boil down to your speakers. Both Marantz and Arcam have a different signature and Arcam is generally good with the older Dalis (Ikon II), but not heard the newer Zensors. From that point you'll need to audition to see which sig gives you the biggest thrill.

manicm

Ernie said:
Is the Neo amp a lot better than the solo mini amp?

Not necessarily, I've heard the normal Solo and the tonality was very, very similar to the Mini before I purchased the latter. But it is double the Mini's power and that is a good thing as it gives you a much wider choice of speakers to play with.

My original speakers were the B&W 685s - and tonally they were excellent with a huge soundstage in all directions. The Neo, however, with it's greater power should sound even better as they should grip them better, especially at lower volumes.

If you're getting any Solo product I urge you to audition it with the 685s - I loved this speaker.

My Solo Mini, within its low power limitation, is an excellent sounding device even at higher volumes. And I expect the normal Solo/Neo to be even better.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
I think the Solo Neo/Mini is better, more musical than Marantz 6005 separates and Denon M37, but not better than Arcam separates. You will have radio turner also. I did not liked Maranty 600x separates because of cold, technical sound compared with Arcam and Nad separates.

I think Arcam Solo mini has enough power for a small/medium sized room

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
The Arcam offers a warmer, more detailed soundstage over all, which works well with most speakers, whereas the Marantz can feel a little bit clinical and slightly harder to match in with some speakers.

manicm

audioaffair said:
The Arcam offers a warmer, more detailed soundstage over all, which works well with most speakers, whereas the Marantz can feel a little bit clinical and slightly harder to match in with some speakers.

I don't find my Solo Mini to be warm, it's just pleasingly neutral and fairly transparent too - as has been proven by my 4th speaker with it now. It now sounds slightly 'warm' but that's entirely down to the trait of the speaker - Monitor Audio RX1.

From what I've read elsewhere others would concur too - that the lower down FMJ amps like the A18 sound warm, but not the Solo stuff.

T

the record spot

If you're buying without audition, make sure who you buy from that they will honour the terms of the Distance Selling Regulations, if buying online.

Richer Sounds, Superfi and Peter Tyson all do. Others say that they do, but only if your parcel is unopened. This doesn't hold up under the regulation so save yourself the bother. You are entitled to open and inspect the goods and take reasonable care of them in your possession. You also have to pay return postage if you want to return.

Of course, buying instore is different, but I thought a word to the wise at the outset might be handy. Caveat emptor and all that...!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I would say it'll be a little better than a budget separate kit. I've only heard the original Solo on speakers unfamiliar to me: Musos. This was at a hi-fi show and the Arcam rep did say at the time there would be little between the Solo and my A65+ and CD73T. Now the later 'Neo' version, according to reviews, has more transparency and detail, but I can't personally confirm this.

It'll boil down to your speakers. Both Marantz and Arcam have a different signature and Arcam is generally good with the older Dalis (Ikon II), but not heard the newer Zensors. From that point you'll need to audition to see which sig gives you the biggest thrill.

Ssssssss.... that rep was lying through his teeth - the A65+ was a really great sounding amp, heard that combo was it last decade on a pair of Eltax Liberty 5+ and the combo sounded fantastic - only when the SA tried to bi-wire the amp to the eltax's it started to cut out which put me off buying one. Not saying the Solo does not sound great but.... the amp was good.

to the op - if you are setting up your system as a 'system' to 'listen' to your music i.e speakers 2m or so apart fireing to a sweet spot and want to be able to listen/analyse your music then the Marantz 6005 + a cd will provide you with more scope. If you are beyond all that then the solo is fine and offers alot of flexability with regards sources all in.

But having a 38dab in the house (pretty poorly attinuated system which is never mentioned in its reviews, jumps from quite to loud no inbetween) its a general listening tool thats the design ethic for these things - best to consider what you want from your system then take the plunge.

Thompsonuxb said:
plastic penguin said:

Ssssssss.... that rep was lying through his teeth - the A65+ was a really great sounding amp, heard that combo was it last decade on a pair of Eltax Liberty 5+ and the combo sounded fantastic - only when the SA tried to bi-wire the amp to the eltax's it started to cut out which put me off buying one. Not saying the Solo does not sound great but.... the amp was good.

There's not many bigger fan of the A65+ than me. Even though I love the Leema I still miss the quirky sound the A65+ produced. Having had that and CD73 with RS6s it sounded the dogs for the money....

I was just passing on my observation of the Arc rep, as I've never had the opportunity to hear the Solo against the A65.

matthewpiano

When I had Marantz CD6003 and PM6003 seperates, I considered changing them to an Arcam Solo Mini and I was told by the dealer that I'd be taking a retograde step in sound quality so I never did it.

All-in-one versus seperates seems to remain a fairly contentious issue and so I think the best advice is for you to audition the Solo Neo against some Marantz 6005 seperates to see which you prefer. If you can audition both with the same speakers I think it will tell you more.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
When I had Marantz CD6003 and PM6003 seperates, I considered changing them to an Arcam Solo Mini and I was told by the dealer that I'd be taking a retograde step in sound quality so I never did it.

Do you consider the Marantz M-CR610 the equal of the Marantz 600X seperates?

BTW, you have no signature anymore containing your latest equipment. Are you preparing a surprise? ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts