Arcam Solo Music v Cyrus Lyric 09

sixofnine

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
I'm changing my Solo Neo for a new all-in-one and have decided to get one of these two. I have the chance to buy the Cyrus for just £100 more than the Arcam. Any advice on which I should go for please?

sixofnine

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks manicm. I'm drawn to the Solo by it's hdmi inputs, as I have a computer, appletv and tv to plug in, but wondering if the Cyrus might be more enjoyable in the long run. Internet radio is not an issue for me.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
How did you manage to acquire one with only a £100 differential? I have just ordered the Arcam, but did not listen to the Cyrus, as it was more £1300 more!

sixofnine said:
I'm changing my Solo Neo for a new all-in-one and have decided to get one of these two. I have the chance to buy the Cyrus for just £100 more than the Arcam. Any advice on which I should go for please?

What speakers are you planning to use with the Cyrus? I heard the Lyric 09 with Tannoy Precision 6.1 and I got the feeling the Cyrus could do with a smoother sounding speaker.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Please do not change on a forum advice alone!

Having owned both arcam and cyrus gear I cannot think of 2 brands that are more apart!
Arcam is smooth maybe slightly laidback and cyrus is detailed and definitely upfront.
I must add that I haven't heard the Lyric but a very big change would be needed to let them come close in presentation!
All in all, also considering the Hdmi port, the way you use it and the speakers you currently own, I strongly advice to stick with Arcam unless you demo with your speakers in your home and are blown away by the Cyrus.

sixofnine

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Superaintit! Sounds like solid advice. I've always loved the sound of the Solo Neo, so perhaps the Lyric would be too much of a change. I'll try and get a listen asap.

Superaintit said:
Please do not change on a forum advice alone!

Having owned both arcam and cyrus gear I cannot think of 2 brands that are more apart! Arcam is smooth maybe slightly laidback and cyrus is detailed and definitely upfront. I must add that I haven't heard the Lyric but a very big change would be needed to let them come close in presentation! All in all, also considering the Hdmi port, the way you use it and the speakers you currently own, I strongly advice to stick with Arcam unless you demo with your speakers in your home and are blown away by the Cyrus.

Agreed: That's why I asked what speakers he has. If he's happy with Arcam/Epos combo I would stick with it.

sixofnine

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks all for your input everyone! I'm probably going to go with the Solo, but I'll give the Lyric a listen - it should be a nice day out to Shrewsbury!

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I've just purcahed the Arcam Solo Music online and am awaiting it's arrival. I haven't much idea how it will sound with my speakers, Neat Petit SX, so I'm taking a bit of a punt. Seems to offer good value, though. Heard it in a different store with Focal speakers and it was to my liking (I think). However, I never really know with HiFi until I've owned it for a few months and by then it's too late! My reasoning is that it's got to be at least acceptable, as I'm after a smooth presentation. Didn't listen to the Cyrus beacause it was roughly twice the price in the same store.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
No I don't have the old Solo. I'm trading in my MK 1 Roksan Caspian and Marantz Pearl Lite SACD player. I am keeping my Neat Pete SX speakers for the moment, but may trade-in for the small Harbeth's in the futire.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts