Arcam Solo Mini vs Arcam DiVA CD73 + Arcam DiVA A70

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
As an Arcam Solo-Mini owner, I have no doubts that the CD-73 and A70 should sound better despite certain elements of the Solo-Mini coming from the more expensive seperates.

I cannot imagine anyone listening to one against the other. I bought the Arcam Solo-Mini because of space/budget/style considerations.

Remember that the Solo-Mini also has a decent FM tuner (and DAB) so to be fair you should be comparing (at least) a three box Diva set-up against the Solo-Mini.

daveh75

i agree with bigcris, go for seperates, i have arcam amps, as well as a solo mini for the bedroom, which mainly gets used as a very expensive alarm clock, i have to say, although solo is very good, doesn't really compare to my a32/p35 set up,

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:i agree with bigcris, go for seperates, i have arcamÿ amps, as well as a solo mini for the bedroom, which mainly gets used as a very expensive alarm clock, i have to say, although solo is very good, doesn't really compare to my a32/p35 set up,

ÿ

It may well compare against a cd73/a70 though given that's what the internals are.

ÿ

ÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:It may well compare against a cd73/a70 though given that's what the internals are.

According to Arcam the Solo-Mini only inherits the "DACs and high precision clock" from the CD73.

Parts of the power amp section come from the Solo Music rather than the A70. (I think)

daveh75

into the pre outs of the solo mini? can honestly say i havn't, as i only use the mini as a second system in my bedroom, i'll give it a go though over the next few days, and let you know the result

daveh75

you wont be disapointed, the p35 made a noticable difference to my a32, apart from the extra power of course, the most noticable difference i found was how much more detail you can hear

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Could you let me know how much of a difference you found adding the P35 to the Arcam solo mini and move made for both of you?!

I know one could say t kind of defeats the point of a one box system, but I've found an excellent deal on the Arcam Solo Music and although it sounds great on it's own, the speakers I am using ruark sabre III, have quite a low sensitivty of 86db, which I expect the Solo music may struggle to drive that well, and was thinking if it did have upgrade potential through being able to add a power amp that I would probably opt for it!

Thanks

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Just to expand the questiom, has anyone used an Arcam power amp in conjunction with any of the products in Arcam's Solo range, and can they give an indication of how the sound compared?

matthewpiano

The A70 is a very very average amplifier. Dull and lifeless. I certainly wouldn't buy one without a really long audition to make sure it suits you. I had one for a while and just couldn't live with it. Out of all the amplifiers I've had, I would say it was one of the worst.

The CD73 is very capable though. If you can afford to, I'd recommend partnering the CD73 with one of Arcam's better amplifiers or looking at another manufacturer for the amp.

chebby:As an Arcam Solo-Mini owner, I have no doubts that the CD-73 and A70 should sound better despite certain elements of the Solo-Mini coming from the more expensive seperates. I cannot imagine anyone listening to one against the other. I bought the Arcam Solo-Mini because of space/budget/style considerations. Remember that the Solo-Mini also has a decent FM tuner (and DAB) so to be fair you should be comparing (at least) a three box Diva set-up against the Solo-Mini.

Two years ago when i attended WHFI @ Novotel I had a chin-wag the rep at the Arcam stand, he reckoned the Solo [not mini] was roughly the sonic equivelant to the A65 Plus, this is based purely on the Arcam boys appraisal - not my own assumption, I've never heard the Solo or Mini.

But i agree with most the separates should give better all round sonic presentation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts