Arcam Solo - best speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi - I'm looking at the Arcam Solo (hifi) as I don't have the appropriate room for a seperate system and was blown away when I heard this and it seems a good compromise. I heard it twinned with Monitor Silver RS1's and it was great but my local hi fi dealer doesn't stock Monitor and is trying to pursuade me to go with the B&W 686, or 685's which sound great and the 685's review very well but I can't compare directly side by side with the RS1's and not with a Solo either.

I now have a flagging doubt that the Rs1's might be too small for my room (long and thin at 4mx9m) and also I've read that the B&W's are not punchy and need to be driven - and wonder if the solo can do this ?

Any advice would be appreciated before I buy and regret.

A

Anonymous

if your mind is set on arcam solo then get it and start doing some home demo with the speakers you think you want and when you find wat you want then you buy dont watever you do buy and hope it sounds good cose it will not work

A

Anonymous

fair point - and I will do - but I was hoping someone could help me narrow my search and give me some opinions on what partners the solo best (generally) and I'll try them out.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If your room is 4m x 9m then I would go for some floorstanders rather than standmounts. B&W are a very good brand with a good reputation, but so are Monitor Audio. Make sure your dealer lets you listen to a few models and just choose the one you prefer.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="markl"]
fair point - and I will do - but I was hoping someone could help me narrow my search and give me some opinions on what partners the solo best (generally) and I'll try them out.
[/quote]

i will not stop going on about this speakers they are just fantastic fo the price (£500) i have a payr boy ho boy they are woth much more then wat thy cost here is the link tho the wesite

http://www.richersounds.com/showbigproductpicture/TANN-EYRIS2-WALN/303952.jpg

A

Anonymous

Shame you can't get monitor audio coz I heard the Solo with some MA GS10's and it sounded superb, brilliant synergy and went loud too.

jules.

A

Anonymous

Prsume form this you think the bookshelf might be too small to cope ? That was my concern reSilver Rs1's but do you think even the B&W 685's might struggle ?

Might also be way off the mark here but I didn't think - not being a system of high class seperates - the solo really needed or deserved floorstanders - s'pose I though it might be overkill ?

A

Anonymous

i recently demo'd the b and w 686's against the RS1's. The b and w's have a slightly smaller bass driver and a smaller cabinet but had easily the same depth of bass and a bit more punch and drive than the RS1's. The b and w speakers were a good bit deeper though which probably helped.The RS1's were still superb though. the 685's are also superb and sound v similar to the 686's but with more bass weight. I would have thought that the 685's would be big enough for your room. How far away will you sit from the speakers? if its right at the other end of the room then the RS1s might be a little small.

Can you tell me what you have heard about the ease of driving of the 685's or 686's? i am thinking of getting a pair of 686's and am slightly concerned about the 84db sensitivity.

A

Anonymous

Forgot to say the b and w's are punchy alright. they are punchier than the RS1's, although not by much. Also arcam amps tend to be a bit mushy in the bass and lacking in driving power. if you must have a solo then i would definitely demo it with the b and ws just to check it can drive them ok.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It'll work, Arcam wouldn't have released the Solo if they didn't think it could cut the mustard. With a £700+ set of floorstanders from B&W or MA, or from Dali, EPOS or the like you will have plenty to fill your room. It's an expensive system really and will do pretty well.

Or a 2nd hand separates system including power amp would be even better if you have the space to have a few boxes.

Hmmm, choices choices.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts