Arcam rDac

nbaptista

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I am interested in Rega Dac and Arcam rDac, I would like to know if Arcam can compete with Rega.As soon as possible, I am hearing the Arcam,but I wonder if anyone else did this comparative. I know Arcam is cheaper, but I am interested mainly in usb input,and Arcam usb is asynchronous, which for me is great !However , the Rega looks fancier !

nbaptista

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
I´m playing standard files, not high resolution files

But I think asynchronous USB is better than adaptive USB(Rega Dac) so the reason why I´m keen on Arcam!I might be wrong, but from what I hear from people that have listen asynchronous Dac´s, all say this is the future technology!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
nbaptista said:
I am interested in Rega Dac and Arcam rDac, I would like to know if Arcam can compete with Rega.As soon as possible, I am hearing the Arcam,but I wonder if anyone else did this comparative. I know Arcam is cheaper, but I am interested mainly in usb input,and Arcam usb is asynchronous, which for me is great !However , the Rega looks fancier !

As far as I know, rDAC USB input is much better compared to the Rega DAC. It is up to 24/96 whilst if I recall correctly, on the Rega is 16/44 (USB input of course). So if you are plannig to play high-res files through the USB input you should go for the rDAC which is a nice sounding DAC, great for its price.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I just changed my rdac for the Musical Fidelity M1. The new version of the M1 has asynchronous USB. Don't use this but worth considering.

I much prefer the MF but that's my taste.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
nbaptista said:

But I think asynchronous USB is better than adaptive USB(Rega Dac) so the reason why I´m keen on Arcam!I might be wrong, but from what I hear from people that have listen asynchronous Dac´s, all say this is the future technology!

If you are playing from pc I think the rDAC is the best deal you can get. Cheaper (always important),compact, solid, nicely built, nice sounding and with a very good USB input. It also has big room for improvement and will be easy to resell without losing a lot of money.

SteveR750

nbaptista said:

Not as simple perhaps:

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/USB_SPDIF.htm

DAC manufacturers are concentrating their efforts on USB because every PC has it, and everyone who has a PC knows how to use and has a USB cable. spdif and toslink eliminates half the population straight away.

A

Anonymous

Have a look at Hi-Fi Choice March. rDAC Best Buy and Best Value. Much more expensive Rega best in test. Pay your money etc... PS the asynchronous USB makes a hell of a difference on music form PC/Mac

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I have both of them since yesterday evening through until 5 pm tomorrow, but I won't be using the USB connectvity. I'll let you know my thoughts. So far I've only listened to the Rega DAC, but I can't get antwhere near CD quality with lossless files streamed from iTunes on my iMac.

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
ifor said:
So far I've only listened to the Rega DAC, but I can't get antwhere near CD quality with lossless files streamed from iTunes on my iMac.

Welcome to PC audio :) With that said i dont own a cd player as the convenience a dac brings is worth the hassle IMO. Im currently using optical instead of USB due pops and clicks. :wall:

The rega dac and arcam dac are next on my audition list so am very interested in your findings !!

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Ben123 said:
the convenience a dac brings is worth the hassle IMO.

Sorry Ben, I can't agree with that!

I sorted the original problem; I had switched Airport on on the iMac. Having switched it off again so that all the streaming is wired we got on much better with the Rega DAC. It sounded pretty good, but still a fair bit short of the CD player. We then swapped thr Rega DAC for the Arcam rDAC. Wow! What a difference. The Rega DAC doesn't even come close and we are struggling to hear a difference between the stream and the CD. The Arcam is much cheaper and much better.

A

Anonymous

Musical fidelity m1 gets my vote over both the rega and arcam dacs.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
OK. I got better sound out of the Rega DAC than on the previous day. I had turned WiFi on on the iMac (it is usually off) and only remembered when the stream suffered a drop out. I turned in off again and the Rega DAC sounded much better, but noticeably inferior to the CD player.

I then switched to the Arcam rDAC. The difference was instantly obvious. The Arcam rDAC is vastly superior in my setup than the Rega DAC. We really are struggling to hear a difference between the stream and the CD.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
OK. I got better sound out of the Rega DAC than on the previous day. I had turned WiFi on on the iMac (it is usually off) and only remembered when the stream suffered a drop out. I turned in off again and the Rega DAC sounded much better, but noticeably inferior to the CD player.I then switched to the Arcam rDAC. The difference was instantly obvious. The Arcam rDAC is vastly superior in my setup than the Rega DAC. We really are struggling to hear a difference between the stream and the CD.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
OK. I got better sound out of the Rega DAC than on the previous day. I had turned WiFi on on the iMac (it is usually off) and only remembered when the stream suffered a drop out. I turned in off again and the Rega DAC sounded much better, but noticeably inferior to the CD player.I then switched to the Arcam rDAC. The difference was instantly obvious. The Arcam rDAC is vastly superior in my setup than the Rega DAC. We really are struggling to hear a difference between the stream and the CD.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts