Arcam fmj A29

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

WayneKerr

Moving hi-fi on can be a lottery, you need the right people there to bid on it, but at least you made a small profit in the end.

I know you are doing comparisons and have another amp ready to test, is this attempting to find a different brand which suits you more than the Denon? You could go through multiple amps and still prefer the Denon... and lose some cash along the way.

robdmarsh

Yes, I'm aware of that. I'm just kind of curious and next up is the Naim Nait 5si. First impressions were very positive but I've had to take it out of my set up for the moment (won't go into it now). Looking forward to putting it back in...

Reactions: WayneKerr

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
But you posted a comment about the Naim Nait 5si and Triangle Esprit Titus in another post didn't you? I thought you had heard this combination.
Oh, I was just recalling the Naim and the Triangle as a recommended setup in one of the Whathifi issues some years back. On paper it seemed like a weird combo.

robdmarsh

Oh, I was just recalling the Naim and the Triangle as a recommended setup in one of the Whathifi issues some years back. On paper it seemed like a weird combo.
Interesting. I was wowed the first time I listened to the Nait 5si with my speakers but second listen not so much. Don't get me wrong, it's good but not as good as I initially thought it was. I'll keep listening and report more as I find it.

Reactions: WayneKerr

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Interesting. I was wowed the first time I listened to the Nait 5si with my speakers but second listen not so much. Don't get me wrong, it's good but not as good as I initially thought it was. I'll keep listening and report more as I find it.
Yeah let us know how it sounds long term. The Nait5si is definitely a wow product on first listen.

robdmarsh

I posted this on the Naim community forum. There's been a very conspicuous silence. So yes, not as good as I initially thought. On the post before I said after my first listen that I felt like a teenager waiting for a second date when the first date had gone quite well.

So I had that second date with the Nait 5si and I’m sorry to say that it didn’t go so well. Neither did subsequent dates and we’ve decided to go our separate ways (ok, I think I’ve taken this date analogy far enough).
Anyway, this is what I found. This amplifier is fast and yes, I did get the PRaT thing that people go on about but my system wasn’t lacking rhythmic agility in the first place. I have an excellent digital front end with the ifi Zen One signature DAC with the ifi iPower X power supply and together with my Triangle Titus EZ bookshelf speakers I have focus, pacing and responsiveness in abundance. With the 5si there’s even more ability to stop/start on a dime, the Roberta Flack track Compared to What is a good example where things sounded faster, but I was kind of left thinking it was fast enough in the first place. What I don’t get is the sustain in notes that the Denon gives me, nor the roundness and sweetness in tone. I had to check this several times as it’s nearly £1500 vs £549 and I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. The British Audiophile talks about how this amplifier doesn’t give a full decay to transients and this is what I was definitely hearing. In the end the sound just lacks a bit of presence, certainly this is noticeable with vocals and then with plenty of instruments also. On Nouvelle Vague’s cover of Making plans for Nigel there’s all sorts percussive elements that sound much more satisfying on the Denon, the triangle sound just goes on for miles (and here I mean the percussion instrument not the speakers) while it’s just lost on the Nait 5si.
Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a good amplifier but not in my system and to my ears and certainly not at nearly 3x the price at full rrp to my little Denon.

Reactions: Al ears
I posted this on the Naim community forum. There's been a very conspicuous silence. So yes, not as good as I initially thought. On the post before I said after my first listen that I felt like a teenager waiting for a second date when the first date had gone quite well.

So I had that second date with the Nait 5si and I’m sorry to say that it didn’t go so well. Neither did subsequent dates and we’ve decided to go our separate ways (ok, I think I’ve taken this date analogy far enough).
Anyway, this is what I found. This amplifier is fast and yes, I did get the PRaT thing that people go on about but my system wasn’t lacking rhythmic agility in the first place. I have an excellent digital front end with the ifi Zen One signature DAC with the ifi iPower X power supply and together with my Triangle Titus EZ bookshelf speakers I have focus, pacing and responsiveness in abundance. With the 5si there’s even more ability to stop/start on a dime, the Roberta Flack track Compared to What is a good example where things sounded faster, but I was kind of left thinking it was fast enough in the first place. What I don’t get is the sustain in notes that the Denon gives me, nor the roundness and sweetness in tone. I had to check this several times as it’s nearly £1500 vs £549 and I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. The British Audiophile talks about how this amplifier doesn’t give a full decay to transients and this is what I was definitely hearing. In the end the sound just lacks a bit of presence, certainly this is noticeable with vocals and then with plenty of instruments also. On Nouvelle Vague’s cover of Making plans for Nigel there’s all sorts percussive elements that sound much more satisfying on the Denon, the triangle sound just goes on for miles (and here I mean the percussion instrument not the speakers) while it’s just lost on the Nait 5si.
Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s a good amplifier but not in my system and to my ears and certainly not at nearly 3x the price at full rrp to my little Denon.
They are a bit marmite aren't they? Some people love them and some simply cannot get on with them.
Synergy is the thing, you cannot comment on an amp alone as it needs to be paired with speakers to audition.
Some seem to love Neat or Focal speakers with Naim amps, cannot say I have heard either combination.

robdmarsh

Are you still looking, or are you happy with the Denon again now it has seen off a few possible contenders?
I think I'm happy for the moment. I'm just pretty amazed at how something like this budget Denon amplifier can do so well and sound so good when compared with much loftier rivals. I've just listened to Nina Simone's My baby Just Cares For Me and the result wasn't even close here in this room. Verve, texture, sweetness, that ascending piano figure with the staccato finish all go to the Denon.

Reactions: nopiano

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
They are a bit marmite aren't they? Some people love them and some simply cannot get on with them.
Synergy is the thing, you cannot comment on an amp alone as it needs to be paired with speakers to audition.
Some seem to love Neat or Focal speakers with Naim amps, cannot say I have heard either combination.
During my ownership of Naim amplifiers, I felt the Supernait line approached what is acceptable for making my speakers sound decent (Proac and Harbeth). Still, the sound was just not remotely realistic enough. I'm told the Naim sound starts with separates though.

robdmarsh

I'm told the Naim sound starts with separates though.
You mean pre-amp, power amp, power supplies etc. We're talking big bucks there. I'm not really very impressed that their entry level integrated amp (at £1500 at current prices!) can't comfortably beat budget amps at about one third of the price. What about the Uniti range? Do those people not get "the Naim sound"?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts