Arcam fmj A29

robdmarsh

I have heard of people having problems with the output relays on this amp. The price used, though, is pretty good and has similar specs to the SA20, also class G but with a built-in DAC. A lot of people think pure analogue is better and I'm extremely happy with my stand-alone DAC so I don't need one built in.

I have heard of people having problems with the output relays on this amp. The price used, though, is pretty good and has similar specs to the SA20, also class G but with a built-in DAC. A lot of people think pure analogue is better and I'm extremely happy with my stand-alone DAC so I don't need one built in.
I’d rather have your Denon, or save up for a A39 tbh.

Reactions: plastic penguin
Why do you say that?
I wouldn’t trust a fairly average amp that must be four or five years old with a history of relay issues, over a thoroughly well engineered Denon.

As I mentioned, I think the senior models are worth considering, but I’d pass on the A19 and A29 unless you’re an Arcam fan trying to match boxes. But that’s just me, and maybe some A29 enthusiasts will be along later.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldie and Al ears

robdmarsh

most second-hand A39s are £750+ that sort of buys some nice new stuff....
Well, this is why I'm wondering at under £400 the A29 isn't a bargain. The SA20 has similar specs to the A29, same class G power, and is £1k, but it has a DAC. I'm sure this DAC won't be as good as the stand alone ifi Zen One signature, which I own and am very happy with.

Emark600

Dec 31, 2022
Visit site
I wouldn’t trust a fairly average amp that must be four or five years old with a history of relay issues, over a thoroughly well engineered Denon.

As I mentioned, I think the senior models are worth considering, but I’d pass on the A19 and A29 unless you’re an Arcam fan trying to match boxes. But that’s just me, and maybe some A29 enthusiasts will be along later.
Nothing wrong with my A19, worked flawlessly for over 10 years, and still going strong.

Reactions: nopiano
So are these doubts about the A29 purely based on the relay issues or is it generally considered not a good amp by Arcam. The design seems pretty similar to the A39, which is also class G, but the A39 has a lot more power.
I have heard the A29 has issues, can't remember what they were or who owned it. Certainly not the most rounded Arcam either sonically or reliability wise. I would save up extra pennies for the A39 or the Leema. I've seen good A39s & Leemas for about £600. For that you get excellent VFM amps. Or just stick to your current amp.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I brought one of these 3 months ago from eBay for £285. I can't say what it will be like in 6 months but it's been used almost daily and I've had no problems with it.

Are there better amps out there, of course there are. But, you cut your cloth accordingly and for the money you pay for these second hand I'd say you get a great deal. I already had a pre amp for my TT and also already had a stand alone DAC so the amp has one job to do and it does it pretty well.

I'm happy with it so why not take a punt. If you don't like I guess you could sell it on without much loss.

Regards

Reactions: Al ears
Hi, I brought one of these 3 months ago from eBay for £285. I can't say what it will be like in 6 months but it's been used almost daily and I've had no problems with it.

Are there better amps out there, of course there are. But, you cut your cloth accordingly and for the money you pay for these second hand I'd say you get a great deal. I already had a pre amp for my TT and also already had a stand alone DAC so the amp has one job to do and it does it pretty well.

I'm happy with it so why not take a punt. If you don't like I guess you could sell it on without much loss.

Regards
At that price I’d agree it’s worth a punt. Glad you’re enjoying it!

Reactions: Gonepostal

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts