Arcam FMJ A22

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

An Arcam dealer once told me that the only difference between the A22 and A32 is the improved menu system in the A32. Otherwise, there's no real difference.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
brock_boogie:An Arcam dealer once told me that the only difference between the A22 and A32 is the improved menu system in the A32. Otherwise, there's no real difference.

Do they ever sound any different?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

brock_boogie:

Cheers, DM.

My room is 4m x 8m with 3.5m concrete ceilings, hard-wood floors and floor-to-ceiling windows. Quite a lively room for sure.

Your room could be a real problem for decent sound. It sounds like you really could do with some book cases, books, large curtains and rugs to dampen things down a little, or what ever you buy could sound brash.

I recently had a similar experience. The difference in using some sound dampening furniture was a revelation. Experimentation is the key
emotion-2.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Indeed. I find that a couple of gorgeous busty blondes lying on the floor between me and speakers normally do the trick though for some reason a brunette seems to affect higher frequencies in a different way.

Afterwards just deflate and pack 'em away
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

LOL - Sounds like I should look into some blow-up dolls to improve the errrr...acoustics of the room, then!

I ended up buying the Arcam FMJ A22 today & went to a local MA dealer to audition it with the RS6. I wasn't blown away by any means, but it wasn't the worst pair of speakers I've ever heard.

I definitely think that RS6's are not for me, though. I found the bass to be a bit loose & lacking control & punch (something I remember from the last audition when the RS6 was paired with a CA 840A).

I'll have to audition the new amp with some Neats & Regas soon. Can you suggest any other floorstanders to listen to in the sub-1000 pound budget? They need to have tight, controlled bass with good pace and timing. I also want them to be a bit forgiving with some sub-par recordings (a la hip-hop, etc).

Cheers!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Can i just ask Brock; Was the amp run in and were the speakers run in or were they brand new?

This makes hell of a difference.

I auditoned my RS6's when they were brand new but i'd also heard a pair that had 200hours running in time partnered with an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated amp and the sound difference was amazing.

I also first thought that the RS6's didnt sound too good at all, bass was a little muddled and the midrange was muddy.

Now my RS6's are fully run in; they sound phenomenal!

A

Anonymous

This is really interesting how people perceive sound differently (Or maybe it comes down to new / cold equipment) But I found the RS6's with Arcam a really good sound. Excellent intergration, sweet top end and really deep tight bass. They were heads and shoulders abouve the Kef Iq7's, Quad 21L and B&W 684's. They even sounded better than the RS8's which did sound a bit flappy in the bass with poorer intergration of their drive units.

Still waiting on my speakers (RS6) arriving. I will have to post again once I have had an extended listen in my home.

Keep us posted with your demo results!

d_a_n1979:Can i just ask Brock; Was the amp run in and were the speakers run in or were they brand new?

This makes hell of a difference.

I auditoned my RS6's when they were brand new but i'd also heard a pair that had 200hours running in time partnered with an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated amp and the sound difference was amazing.

I also first thought that the RS6's didnt sound too good at all, bass was a little muddled and the midrange was muddy.

Now my RS6's are fully run in; they sound phenomenal!

This is really interesting because when I recently auditioned some amps with my RS6's, they were straight out of the box. The answer is NO. . .the RS6's were not aggressive or fatiguing.

I really do believe if any component is poorly matched you are not going to get the best out of them. I heard the Epos M12.2's powered by Rotel & I have to say I wasn't impressed. On the end of a Cyrus. . .well, different kettle of fish!(as they say).

It is all about synergy. Once you've cracked that you're home and dry - regardless of makes.

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:The same results i got Blueorb I loved the B&W 684's with my Arcam Alpha 9 set up but the RS6's beat them which surprised me!

The 684's are a cracking speaker, really big bold sound, but a little too big and bold with the Arcam amp. I am sure if they were paired with something leaner, they would have been great.

I found the RS'6s just so much more refined than the B&W's, better integration and far more detail while still maintaining a good tight bass. In fact, the depth of bass surprised me for such small boxes, Unlike the large B&W's which look like childrens coffins!!
emotion-40.gif

Anyway, it's all subjective I guess.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

The Arcam FMJ A22 was run-in...although it hadn't been used for a few months (do amps need to be re-run in when left un-used for long periods of time?). The RS6's are definitely run-in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts