Arcam FMJ A22

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I can pick up a used Arcam FMJ A22 for $700 Canadian (350 pounds). It's four years old, but in excellent condition. Will be pairing it up with either Monitor Audio RS6's or Neat Motive 2's.

I haven't seen much info on the Arcam FMJ A22, but it's the predecessor to the A32. I've heard that the A32 is a rare Arcam that provides some grunt to the typical smooth sound. I'm hoping that's the case, because I listen to a lot of hip-hop, funk & northern soul.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the A22. It's either the Arcam or a new NAD C355bee. Will have to wait a few years to upgrade the system further.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Don't get the RS6's man... they're not even in the same universe as the neats.

A

Anonymous

Do you think the Arcam will serve the Neats well? It may cut the edge off the Naim/Neat combo and make longer listening sessions more tolerable. I can see the Naim/Neat combo getting a bit tiresome in a lively room like mine.

A

Anonymous

I think it would be lovely by my standards. But be prepared to be ensconsed in warmth.

A

Anonymous

The vinyl lover in me will dig the warmth. I was actually a little worried that the Naim would be a bit too lively for me. I'd love to arrange an extended home demo one day to find out, though.

A

Anonymous

I recently decided to upgrade my current speakers (B&W 602 S3) which are paired with my Arcam A65+ and CD82. After a lot of auditioning many brands including Quad, Kef, B&W and various Monitor Audio, I settled for the MA RS6's. In my opinion, they are a great speaker at the price. Beautifully made, seamless intergration of sound, and a great match for Arcam gear (To my ears anyway) I personally think these are a steal. I only paid £460 for mine as an ex-demonstration pair and I am well pleased.

My pair of RS6's should arrive in the post later today, so I am really excited!

Interestingly, I am on the look out for an Arcam A22. It will be my next upgrade over the coming month or so, if I can get one at the right price. I am sure it will sound sweet with the RS6's, however, I will be watching this thread as I am interested to know others views on the A22.

Good luck with your new system, I am sure it will bring you hours of pleasure!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Brock - You need to demo the RS6's to make up your own mind.

Yet again i'm having to rant about other peoples opinions on here!

***Start of rant***

Brock is asking for opinions on how speakers will sound with amps and CDP's. He's not asking for a personal slating of separates etc...

IMO the RS6's would partner very well with the Arcam amp.

I have auditioned my RS6's with the Arcam FMJ A32 amp this weekend and it sounded sublime. That was partnered with my Arcam Alpha 9 CDP and an Arcam CD192 which really opened my eyes and ears!

I also demo'd the Project Debut III turntable as i'd love to get a vinyl collection going again and the whole set-up was superb.

Please bear in mind though that MY hearing and MY music tastes are different to everyone elses on here. All the above is in MY opinion!

If people are replying to posts about certain separates and they dont like them; please state why and what else you could suggest. Dont just say 'you hate them cos they sound cack' as that doesnt help. This also puts people off what could be superb separates for a good price but then start looking at other items that they maybe cant afford or wont want to pay for!

***Sorry... Rant over :)***

d_a_n1979:Brock - You need to demo the RS6's to make up your own mind.

Yet again i'm having to rant about other peoples opinions on here!

***Start of rant***

Brock is asking for opinions on how speakers will sound with amps and CDP's. He's not asking for a personal slating of separates etc...

IMO the RS6's would partner very well with the Arcam amp.

I have auditioned my RS6's with the Arcam FMJ A32 amp this weekend and it sounded sublime. That was partnered with my Arcam Alpha 9 CDP and an Arcam CD192 which really opened my eyes and ears!

I also demo'd the Project Debut III turntable as i'd love to get a vinyl collection going again and the whole set-up was superb.

I second that. I can't understand the negative replies. It's fine if you don't like a particular product, but ALL products have their merits and their place in a certain environment.

Arcam & Monitor Audio is probably one of the best combinations available, in synergy terms.

Please bear in mind though that MY hearing and MY music tastes are different to everyone elses on here. All the above is in MY opinion!

If people are replying to posts about certain separates and they dont like them; please state why and what else you could suggest. Dont just say 'you hate them cos they sound cack' as that doesnt help. This also puts people off what could be superb separates for a good price but then start looking at other items that they maybe cant afford or wont want to pay for!

***Sorry... Rant over :)***

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:Brock - You need to demo the RS6's to make up your own mind. Yet again i'm having to rant about other peoples opinions on here! ***Start of rant*** Brock is asking for opinions on how speakers will sound with amps and CDP's. He's not asking for a personal slating of separates etc... IMO the RS6's would partner very well with the Arcam amp. I have auditioned my RS6's with the Arcam FMJ A32 amp this weekend and it sounded sublime. That was partnered with my Arcam Alpha 9 CDP and an Arcam CD192 which really opened my eyes and ears! I also demo'd the Project Debut III turntable as i'd love to get a vinyl collection going again and the whole set-up was superb. Please bear in mind though that MY hearing and MY music tastes are different to everyone elses on here. All the above is in MY opinion! If people are replying to posts about certain separates and they dont like them; please state why and what else you could suggest. Dont just say 'you hate them cos they sound cack' as that doesnt help. This also puts people off what could be superb separates for a good price but then start looking at other items that they maybe cant afford or wont want to pay for! ***Sorry... Rant over :)***

I totally agree. It's horses for courses. Everybody has very different ideas about what is a good sound. There are also many other variables such as music tastes and room size for instance, which will utimately determine system synergy.

I believe that there is usually some broad concensus on what equipment works well together, for instance, many will argue M.A and cyrus equal bright forward sound, but who is to say some don't like that combo?

With regard to Arcam and M.A, I believe many would agree these are generally a good combination and def worth an audition. Before deciding on the RS 6's, I listened to many different speakers for several hours before reaching a conclusion. One other point you have to consider is your budget. Let's say that PMC and Arcam are a better combination than Arcam and M.A (General consensus) You have to ask are they £1000 better? Same with the Neat Motive 2's. Do they sound twice as good as the RS6's, because they cost nearly twice as much!

I am not arguing that the RS'6s are the better speaker, as already stated it is all about personal taste, what music you want to play and what room they will be housed in. M.A and Arcam are definately a good combination though, in my opinion and I would encourage you to have an extended audion somewhere as soon as poss. Go and demo the Motive 2's and anything else that catches your eye as well and report back. I would love to read more reviews from impartial board members.

d_a_n1979:Plastic Penguin - Your reply is in the middle of my rant haha...

It may need editing so that folks can understand it better :)

Sorry dan. I don't know what's going on. I've tried to change it, when I click on edit it doesn't show up in the text?????? Modern technology, eh?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies, lads!

I've already auditioned the RS6's and the Neat Motives. I do think that the Neats are a better speaker, but it's true...are they worth twice the price if it IS stretching my budget?

I can get the MA RS6 for $1200 (taxes included) and the Neats for $1800 (taxes included). This is my dilemma. The Neats are only $600 more. So I'm probably going to buy the Arcam and then take it back to both dealers to hear the amp with the RS6 & Motive 2.

A

Anonymous

I think you guys have misunderstood me. I wasn't saying don't buy the rs6 because it's rubbish. I was saying that, owing to brock's sheer love for the neats he should shell out now while he has the money. That way, down the road if he has some purse he can more easily upgrade to the 2010s or nait5 and get the system he's dreaming of.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
brock_boogie:

I can pick up a used Arcam FMJ A22 for $700 Canadian (350 pounds). It's four years old, but in excellent condition. Will be pairing it up with either Monitor Audio RS6's or Neat Motive 2's.

I haven't seen much info on the Arcam FMJ A22, but it's the predecessor to the A32. I've heard that the A32 is a rare Arcam that provides some grunt to the typical smooth sound. I'm hoping that's the case, because I listen to a lot of hip-hop, funk & northern soul.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the A22. It's either the Arcam or a new NAD C355bee. Will have to wait a few years to upgrade the system further.

Cheers!

Well, here is another opinionated opinion ...
emotion-2.gif

Imo (!) Arcam is good for undemanding long term listening and is an easy match for a large variety of partnering equipment due to its (relative) neutrality and lack of nasties. For many people thats all that matters and I wont argue about that. To many initally impressive systems grate after a while.

But there are other brands out there that give a bit more 'live' ... liness and pizzaz also without setting your ears on fire after an hour. Personally I have'nt heard an arcam amplifier I would buy (but I will make an effort to listen to the new FMJ soon) but fully understand why some people like them. It'll go fine with the MA's which incidentally I would never consider either due to the second rate tweeters and a mushy, ill timed bass but again, thats just me and the way I hear things.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'd go as far and say that, if you really must have a lower range MA, the BR5 is the better speaker. More punch, better bass same 'not so nice' tweeter.

A

Anonymous

I hear ya, drummerman. I wish I could audition different pairings at home for a week each, but unfortunately that isn't an option for me.

Have you heard the Neat Motives yet? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on them.

As for the earlier part of this thread, Raypalmer and I have been talking kit for quite a while so it's all good. He knows how much I love the Neats and is just trying to guide me to the place I really want to be!
emotion-2.gif

Money is a factor (well, the wife's approval of spending the money) as we just bought our first place and funds are tight. So I will give the MA RS6's a fair shake for sure.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
brock_boogie:

I hear ya, drummerman. I wish I could audition different pairings at home for a week each, but unfortunately that isn't an option for me.

Have you heard the Neat Motives yet? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on them.

As for the earlier part of this thread, Raypalmer and I have been talking kit for quite a while so it's all good. He knows how much I love the Neats and is just trying to guide me to the place I really want to be!
emotion-2.gif

Money is a factor (well, the wife's approval of spending the money) as we just bought our first place and funds are tight. So I will give the MA RS6's a fair shake for sure.

Understand my friend. No I have'nt heard the Motives but I think you answered your own question. If you like them that much why 'waste' your cash on MA's? Save a little and buy what you really want. I've heard many good things about them bar a possible edgy treble unit. Thaiman is the guy to ask re. neat. May I suggest Rega's R3 or 5 as an alternative that matches well with Nait if thats what you aspire to. Regards

A

Anonymous

I eventually want to home demo a Nait 5i, but that will have to wait a year or so.

Until then, it's the Arcam FMJ A22. I'm going to audition the MA RS6 today (with the Arcam) & hopefully the Neats & Rega by the end of the week.

Do you think the Rega R3's would pair well with the Arcam & fill a large, lively living room?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes, they can take a lot of power, are efficient and open sounding with great speed, bass and detail so generally speaking fill rooms with ease. You might have to move up to the 5's if your room is exceptionally large. In any case they are a good future investment if you plan to upgrade.

Like I said, there are many that like MA's so if you have the chance of auditioning all the speakers mentioned go for it mate and if you prefer the RS6's I wont think any less of you ... well, not much less anyway
emotion-1.gif
. Be interesting to hear how you get on.

A

Anonymous

Cheers, DM.

I think the R5's are out of my budget, but I could probably fit the R3's in so I'll definitely consider them. My room is 4m x 8m with 3.5m concrete ceilings, hard-wood floors and floor-to-ceiling windows. Quite a lively room for sure.

Do you think the Arcam FMJ A22 (used model - 3.5 years old) is fairly priced at 350 pounds?

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
In Arcam terms the UK comparative current market prices are.

Arcam Diva A70 £300 to £350 new
Arcam Diva A90 £500 new
Arcam FMJ A32 just under £700 new

A pre-owned FMJ A22 at 50% of an A32 new would seem about right at £300 to £350 as long as you are pretty confident about the seller / condition. Having owned the A70 and the FMJ A32 i would for c£350 personally look at the FMJ A22 given its added power and likely control over things (although ive never heard that particular model i am expecting it to be a close relation to my A32). My brother currently has an A70 paired successfully with MA BR5 - it certainly has a good deal of bass (almost too much for my taste and i really do prefer my faster paced and more detailed Epos speakers with Arcam models).

If you can stretch for a new FMJ A32 then i certainly recommend that one which i have actually demod with the RS1 and found it very compatable. However Arcam do like a more up front and fast paced speaker and i would certainly test a Rega R3 - i desparately want to try that one myself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts