admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi.

I'm thinking of buying the new Arcam dac, to improve the sound from my sonos equipment.If i do, what is the best connection to use, optical or coax (what brand would be best).

Thanks Paul.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Yes the dac will improve the sound of your Sonos. Don't forget you can only plug into a Z90. I connect mine with a coaxial cable and it's ok, haven't tried optical. As far as diff' brands it's a mine field, as long as you get a popular brand you wont go wrong. I use a QED on mine.

A

Anonymous

My choice would be optical. It's a short distance between the components i'm guessing? I generally find that the two don't sound much different. However in saying that I have read a few DAC articles where the reviewer has liked the sound of coax more.

I don't think this was mentioned in an rDac review, though I could be wrong.

A

Anonymous

Thank's Andy H and Peter,it's good to hear from member's that have one.

Paul.

scene

Andrew Everard:Yes, it should improve the sound; I'd go coaxial, simply because it involves less state changes for the digital signal

+1 on that (I was halfway through the post - just too slow...)

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Yes, it should improve the sound; I'd go coaxial, simply because it involves less state changes for the digital signal

Interesting, I haven't heard mention of this before. If i'm understanding correctly this is because the optical output changes the signal into a blinking light? I assume coaxial feeds the information much the same way as the data is read?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed, and then back again. And while there are advantages in terms of interference resistance over very long runs with optical cable, I've often found electrical digital sounds better over the kind of runs we're talking about in hi-fi/home cinema systems.

scene

Peter Foate:

Interesting, I haven't heard mention of this before. If i'm understanding correctly this is because the optical output changes the signal into a blinking light? I assume coaxial feeds the information much the same way as the data is read?

Pretty much yes. To go from digital to optical and back again involves two state changes, with concomitant risk of signal degradation. Coaxial spdif pretty much just sends out the signal that's in the Sonos, no blinking lights involved...

A

Anonymous

Brilliant. You learn something new everyday.

Time to invest in a digital coax

scene

FYI: Arcam AV AMP documentation actually states that for audio output from a DVD player "The preferred audio hook-up is using the coaxial digital connector" (This is from the AVR500/600/AV888 manual, but it says the same in my AVR250 one). So Arcam prefer Coaxial for digital to optical...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts