Arcam clobber - 2 questions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello you good people.

I have had the following system for yonks:-

Arcam A65+ and CD62t with Mission 782se speakers. Its a pretty uninspiring sound. I have just upgraded the cd player to the excellent cd192 (at £400) and now want to upgrade the amp and speakers as well. I have considered an A90 (also discounted to a tempting £400) but I would rather get a second hand A85. Is fleebay my only option to get one of these - as this amp is now rather old - or can you recommend alternatives? Are there any websites or shops I should be visiting? (I live in Cambridgeshire)

I will be throwing most of my money - upto £700 - at a decent pair of standmounts. On my shortlist I would like to audition the following - Spendor S3e; ProAc Studio 110; Dali Ikon 2. Anything else I am missing? (I listen to all sorts of music but want a good sound from everything, including rock). I know many people on here either love or loath Arcam. I think that paired with the right kit, it can sound fantastic. I also appreciate that an A85 needs to be bi-amped. Having been to too many gigs my ears do not appreciate an overly bright sound presentation.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Is there a particular reason why you have opted to go with Arcam? It is no surprise that you find your kit uninspiring, as Arcam kit and the word exciting do not co-exist. You can do much better with so many other brands out there.

Anyway, if if you still insist on going with Arcam, I'm sure it is only a matter of time before a bloke that goes by the nick JoelSim comes to your 'rescue'.

A

Anonymous

One can only wonder.
emotion-18.gif

EvilWolf:One can only wonder.
emotion-18.gif

Easy guys! Arcam may not be everyone's cuppa, if that make does it for him, like myself, please give some constructive advice rather than just insulting a make you clearly don't like.
emotion-4.gif

Yes the A85 was a very good amp [I say was because I've never tested one with a modern amp] and certainly if you can track one down in any of your dealers, snap it up.

Speakers? Well, when it comes to synergy, Monitor Audio gels well with Arcam - and so do Dali. Other brands like B&W and Wharfedale will also match well with Arcam.

A

Anonymous

Well here I go again on my own...

My local guy happens to be an Arcam and a Totem dealer (among others), I can say that the Totem Rainmaker is very punchy with the A90. It gives more life to the slightly sedate Arcam sound.

And, if I may be so bold. If Arcam is boring to you, why not try say; Rotel? Or NAD?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
raypalmer:Well here I go again on my own...My local guy happens to be an Arcam and a Totem dealer (among others), I can say that the Totem Rainmaker is very punchy with the A90. It gives more life to the slightly sedate Arcam sound.

Totem Rainmaker must be amazing speakers.ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

batonwielder:
raypalmer:Well here I go again on my own...My local guy happens to be an Arcam and a Totem dealer (among others), I can say that the Totem Rainmaker is very punchy with the A90. It gives more life to the slightly sedate Arcam sound.

Totem Rainmaker must be amazing speakers.ÿ

ÿ
You jest but they really are!:p

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
The Arcam FMJ A32 is excellent and is also discounted in various places at the moment to under £700. Arcam has always sounded great to me, it is not bright and harsh like a number of other makes!

I demo'd a few standmounts and found the Neat Motive 3 to be my favourite. Arcam's do allow you choose quite dynamic speakers without vocals becoming sharp and piercing. Also i would also recommend the PMC GB1i.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Ignore what they are saying above. Everything above the basic entry-level Arcam kit is very good indeed. The 192 is a good match for the A85, and even better when biamped with a P85. Having said that the A85 is a talented amp in its own right.

If you want bright, forward music then look elsewhere, Arcam will give you a detailed, involving and ultimately rewarding musical experience that you can listen to for hours and hours when partnered with the right speakers.

From my experience, Dali and ProAc both work well albeit in different ways, Dali is a little more mellow, ProAc more foot-tapping and exciting (don't bother slagging this off guys, as most have you have no idea what a good Arcam set-up sounds like).

I would also be tempted to try the AVI Neutron IV or V (new), if you don't want to biamp. Likewise some of the EPOS range are worth auditioning, the m12.2 is a nice speaker and would go well if you are looking at second hand.

I have to say I absolutely love the sound of my Arcam kit with the Dali Ikon 6 speakers, it's a huge sound with much subtlety too. 2nd hand or ex-demo and you should be able to get an A85 and these for about £800 ish. Then an upgrade for the future would be a matching power amp.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

I think it would be advisable to visit your dealer and have a listen, or better still a home demo. Amplifiers tend to sound very similar but speakers sound very different. I would also try replacing the speakers first.

A

Anonymous

Arcam isn't popular for no reason! I have tested my fair share of Arcam equipment and I still find it to be the best equipment in the hi-fi world regardless of price for the following reasons: The sound isn't dull, it's just not bright in comparison to Roksan, Cyrus etc. Something which modern manafacturers are doing too much of these days!
The sound is incredibly life-like and the dynamic range and soundstage are superb.
And they are the most reliable and asthetically pleasing boxes on the market at the moment.

Why don't you try and get yourself a second-hand (or even new!) Arcam FMJ A32? I absolutly love mine now I got some better speakers for it! Yes, don't go for recessed sounding speakers or speakers with too much bass as it will wreck the timing that Arcam are so good at!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:

The sound is incredibly life-like and the dynamic range and soundstage are superb.

They are not all bad but that is pushing the boat out a little to much
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Hughes123:

They are not all bad but that is pushing the boat out a little to much
emotion-40.gif

They are! Completly neutral - add nothing and take nothing...and it's not a Quad lol!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:Arcam isn't popular for no reason! I have tested my fair share of Arcam equipment and I still find it to be the best equipment in the hi-fi world regardless of price for the following reasons:

That is pushing the boat out and then sinking it in the middle of the ocean ...

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
He he. Gorra love a spot of unadultered Arcam bashing, always amusing.

ps ive never heard any of their stuff so dont have an opinion on them. Just enjoy the banter as a third party spectator...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... but to be more constructive, try and audition Rega's small, slim floorstanders too. They are fast with tight bass and easy to place. Should match Arcam well. Some good deals soon as replacements seem to be imminent.

A

Anonymous

Always got on well with Arcam stuff - good honest bit of kit - does what it says on the (fmj) tin! - Bit pricey, but you can get most of it half price if you shop around. . . .Them EPOS M22 speakers of mine - theyre givin em away now the new ones are available and the Quads. . . . .givinem away I tell thee!

ILMM

emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:
Arcam isn't popular for no reason! I have tested my fair share of Arcam equipment and I still find it to be the best equipment in the hi-fi world regardless of price for the following reasons:

I doubt if even JoelSim thinks this!!!! Hughes - thanks for the laugh mate! You certainly made my day!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for everyone's replies and suggestions (banter included) - really appreciated as a first time poster on here. You're a crazy bunch and no mistake!

Raypalmer - I have not heard or seen these Totem's; you're obviousy a big fan ;o) Frankly mate you appear to be very happy with your music set up so fair play to you. I will also keep an eye/ear out for the Neat Motive 3s and PMC GB1is (nod to Crusaderlord) and Rega (Drummerman)

Joel - I think we may be coming from a similar place. I am not an outright rock monster, although I do have hundreds of drums & guitar and drum & bass cds. I want my system to be able to do a good job with all types of music. I am not up for a listening experience that is too bright or forward - I just think that if I carefully pick and match the most punchy end of Arcam models I am getting close to a great sound for a very fair price.

Cds I have been listening to so far this week include The Blue Nile, Suzanne Vega, Massive Attack, Boards of Canada, Calexico, Cocteau Twins, Brian Eno, Kirsty MacColl.

I would love to go for the FMJ A32 but this only leaves £300 for speakers and I would rather get new (and good) speakers and second hand amp (ie weight my £1k budget in favour of the speakers). Lots for me to think about there - thanks.

Just off to catch the 3rd series of Heroes...(Just who did shoot Nathan?)

daveh75

found this fmj a32 on ebay, which would leave a healthy budget for speakers, dont think you can go wrong with an a32, personally i think it's one of the best amps arcam has ever made, and is ideally suited to your tastes

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:: The sound isn't dull, it's just not bright in comparison to Roksan, Cyrus etc.

Roksan bright??? really? The only minor complaint i have of my kandy cdp is if anything its too warm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts