Arcam clobber - 2 questions

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Crusaderlord,

There certainly seems to be more debate around the benefits of bi-wiring whereas not many people would dispute the benefits of bi-amping. Basically the theory behind bi-wiring is to separate the wires going between the different drive units of your speakers, so that lower power, more delicate treble signals do not get deteriorated by the more powerful bass signal. People wonder how that works - after all how could your amp possible know which signals to send down which wires? But the theory is actually sound because an electrical circuit involves the flow of electrons from the negative terminal to the positive terminal and because in the case of a bi-wireable speaker for instance the circuit for each drive unit includes a filter which only allows certain frequencies through, the characteristics of electrical inductance mean that only the frequencies allowed through by the filter can complete the circuit.

Sceptics might argue that the benefit you hear could just as easily be down to doubling the cross section of the conductors, which should reduce the resistance and capacitance of the conductor (my knowledge getting slightly shaky here admittedly, but I think that in theory both capacitance and resistance should be kept low in a speaker cable).

Other arguments suggest that whilst you found a benefit by upgrading to your new Chord cables (was it £34/m in a bi-wire configuration?), perhaps you would have found just as big a benefit by upgrading to a single wire cable of £68/m for instance.

At it's most basic level bi-amping simply doubles the current that your amp can supply to the speakers, which benefits dynamics and controls the speakers much better. If you believe the theory of the benefits of bi-wiring, then in theory bi-amping extends the principle much further - separating the high/low frequency signals right through the power amp section of both integrated and power amps, to the point where the signals leave the pre-amp section of your integrated amp.

Theory aside not many people would argue that bi-amping does bring a substantial benefit if you're using a power amp which matches the power amp section of your integrated (aka A32 & P35). Personally I found a huge benefit, and whilst I've seen plenty of people disputing the benefits of bi-wiring, I've never seen anyone question the benefits of bi-amping.

Hope that helps....

By the way where is that people are seeing the CD192 for £399, I've heard seen that mentioned more than once? (Doesn't mean you've convinced me to stick with Arcam for the CD Joel!
emotion-2.gif
)

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Dan it certainly explains things well.

To confirm my own experience i have indeed compared Chord Epic single run and Chord Epic bi-wire run. I can definately hear an appreciable improvement with 2 cable runs. It opens up the treble and midrange and gives the overall sound more body - therefore i would have to say that somehow it does indeed separate the circuits.

Bear in mind also that Neat Motive in their literative advocate bi-wire as a measurable improvement over single and recommend it so given they make them i am sure they will know why from the speakers perspective that works better.

Finally i am sure bi-amping will do even more - and one day i will get a P35 and find out but for now the system i have is excellent so i am not in any rush.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
leenorris78:I have just replaced my cd73 with a cd192 (arrived yesterday) and, suffice to say after a half hour listen, this was a very good upgrade. It seems that the 192 fills in the 'holes' of the cd73. The sound is fuller and more harmonious with greater articulate bass, something that was missing from the cd73 (though it is still a cracking player for the money). I need to spend time listening to more music though before I can truely comment, but I have a feeling I'm gonna be happy!!!

Just wait until it's run in.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

You can get the CD192 for £399 at Sevenoaks and Lintone - both decent dealers. . .

ILMM

A

Anonymous

LowFeller:

Hello you good people.

I have had the following system for yonks:-

Arcam A65+ and CD62t with Mission 782se speakers. Its a pretty uninspiring sound. I have just upgraded the cd player to the excellent cd192 (at £400) and now want to upgrade the amp and speakers as well. I have considered an A90 (also discounted to a tempting £400) but I would rather get a second hand A85. Is fleebay my only option to get one of these - as this amp is now rather old - or can you recommend alternatives? Are there any websites or shops I should be visiting? (I live in Cambridgeshire)

I will be throwing most of my money - upto £700 - at a decent pair of standmounts. On my shortlist I would like to audition the following - Spendor S3e; ProAc Studio 110; Dali Ikon 2. Anything else I am missing? (I listen to all sorts of music but want a good sound from everything, including rock). I know many people on here either love or loath Arcam. I think that paired with the right kit, it can sound fantastic. I also appreciate that an A85 needs to be bi-amped. Having been to too many gigs my ears do not appreciate an overly bright sound presentation.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi Low Feller, you can get the A32 for £689 at Lintone and also Quad 12L2 book shelf for £250 - well within your budget, but for a bit more the Quad 22L2 floorstanders for £559 all brand new if you like that sort of thing. . . . I have experience of both the amp and the 12L2 which at that price are difficult to beat (my opinion only!!!!!)

ILMM

emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts