Arcam cd72

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have an Arcam CD 72 I purchased a few years ago and only played a few times. I have just returned to the UK from working abroad and I need to find a good amp to match. I would like some suggestions on Speakers am my Wharfdale XP2 needs replacing.

Thanks

Barry

baza265:

I have an Arcam CD 72 I purchased a few years ago and only played a few times. I have just returned to the UK from working abroad and I need to find a good amp to match. I would like some suggestions on Speakers am my Wharfdale XP2 needs replacing.

Thanks

Barry

Welcome baza to the forum!

Couple of questions: firstly, what sort of budget do you have? What sort of music do you listen to? and you mention Wharfedale XP2. I used to own Linton XP2s. Which ones are yours?

A

Anonymous

hi.

I have a budget of maybe about 600 pounds. in regard to music I generally play classical music with a few 70s and 80s cd. I also play a few old LP as well.

My Wharfedale are Linton as you had and have never let me down . My other pieces of kit are all old Akai. turntable,amp ( needs replacing finally stopped working) and cassettte deck.

thanks

barry .

baza265:

hi.

I have a budget of maybe about 600 pounds. in regard to music I generally play classical music with a few 70s and 80s cd. I also play a few old LP as well.

My Wharfedale are Linton as you had and have never let me down . My other pieces of kit are all old Akai. turntable,amp ( needs replacing finally stopped working) and cassettte deck.

thanks

barry .

Second hand route seems the way to go if £600 is for amp and speakers. In which case, start to look at Arcam A65+. I had this amp and loved it - still one of my favourite sub-£500 integrated amps (or any of the DIVA range). Has a wonderful built-in phono stage for a turntable, and the sound is very balanced and nicely detailed. If you can stretch your budget to around £600 for the amp alone, then Creek Evo is a must. Both amps mentioned will work brilliantly with your CD72.

The Linton's are fine speakers, but can be bettered. These for example will be closer to the Linton's size but will trounce it for sound.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Monitor-Audio-BX2-Standmount-Speakers-/170583484772?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item27b7916964

Other speakers to look at are Mordaunt Short 902i or the Mezzo range, B&W and Wharfedale's newer 10.1. All will give pride of ownership and will give a balanced sound to either Arcams or Creek.

Good luck, pp

A

Anonymous

thanks
its appreciated that you made the effort and i will have a look to see what i can do.
barry

A

Anonymous

baza265:

Thanks

Barry

I have the Arcam CD72 CD player as well (but just been very luck in landing an Arcam CD192 too)!

Both are superb sounding CD players and they work REALLY well with my NAD C355BEE amplifier but the Arcam CD72 CD player also worked really well with the Arcam Alpha 10 integrated and NAD C352 integrated amps that I had before.

The above Arcam and NAD amps are superb and they suit the Arcam CD players IMO so there could be a few other options.

As for speakers (I'm looking to upgrade my B&W 685's currently) I've listened to the likes of Monitor Audio RX2's, GS10's, QUAD 11L2's and 22L2's, B&W 684's and Monitor Audio RX6's and they all sounded superb.

I think for your budget you could aim to spend around £200 on a 2nd hand amp (the Arcam and NAD options are usually within this range on eBay) and the rest on speakers (i.e. the B&W 685's (if you can find some 2nd hand), Monitor Audio BX2's or maybe RX2's (2nd hand again if you can find them).

Are you looking to change/upgrade speaker cables and interconnects as well?

hifilover1979:baza265:

Thanks

Barry

I have the Arcam CD72 CD player as well (but just been very luck in landing an Arcam CD192 too)!

Both are superb sounding CD players and they work REALLY well with my NAD C355BEE amplifier but the Arcam CD72 CD player also worked really well with the Arcam Alpha 10 integrated and NAD C352 integrated amps that I had before.

The above Arcam and NAD amps are superb and they suit the Arcam CD players IMO so there could be a few other options.

As for speakers (I'm looking to upgrade my B&W 685's currently) I've listened to the likes of Monitor Audio RX2's, GS10's, QUAD 11L2's and 22L2's, B&W 684's and Monitor Audio RX6's and they all sounded superb.

I think for your budget you could aim to spend around £200 on a 2nd hand amp (the Arcam and NAD options are usually within this range on eBay) and the rest on speakers (i.e. the B&W 685's (if you can find some 2nd hand), Monitor Audio BX2's or maybe RX2's (2nd hand again if you can find them).

Are you looking to change/upgrade speaker cables and interconnects as well?

The reason for not mentioning Nad is because the OP has vinyl and the Nad doesn't have a TT input.

A

Anonymous

The NAD PP2's and PP3's can be picked up fairly cheaply on eBay and the likes 2nd hand etc... Should be too expensive.

About £80 new so could have room for one in his budget still
emotion-1.gif

hifilover1979:

The NAD PP2's and PP3's can be picked up fairly cheaply on eBay and the likes 2nd hand etc... Should be too expensive.

About £80 new so could have room for one in his budget still
emotion-1.gif

True, a phono stage is pretty cheap.... my theory was to kill two birds with one stone (hence why I've got the Leema). The Arcam in-built is good I would set that against any budget outboard stage - also with Arcam amp your not only getting great synergy but only need to use one remote. But sure, the Nad is a good choice if the OP wants to add extra boxes.

A

Anonymous

It would go well with a nad amp. I used to have the CD73T with a nad C352 amp and they went well together. It would go well with arcam amps but the overall sound might be a little soft and lacking punch when combined with an A65+, which someone suggested. marantz and Rotel could also be good I think.

A

Anonymous

I also have the arcam cd72, I use it with a marantz pm7001 amp, the sound is very precise and direct with good bass extention, But no boomy. I would suggest The newer 7003 or if you can find it on ebay the 8001 amps from marantz, For speakers b&w dm101s3 also on ebay or the newer 685s. from dessie.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts