Question Arcam CD72 running hot

TomcatUK

Jun 27, 2020
Visit site
I have just obtained an Arcam CD72 from eBay. I have been testing it on my hifi and after playing about 5 discs I noticed it was very hot on the right hand side towards the front of the player.

Is this normal or should I return it?

TomcatUK

Jun 27, 2020
Visit site
Thank you both for your input. I haven’t really tried touching my CDP after use before, but I was concerned enough to post this here.

I will check if the heat is further back and closer to the power supply (which I gather is a known weak spot for the CD72).

D

Deleted member 116933

Why not speak to arcam. They might not be able to offer a repair. But they could certainly tell you if it’s normal. Take it you don’t anything else stacked on it?

TomcatUK

Jun 27, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the extra thoughts. Quick clarification on my situation...

The CDP is actually a CD72T. I assume that shouldn’t make too much difference to the running temps? Although I know there’s a bit more kit squeezed in there compared with the standard CD72.

Also, my hifi is inside an almost entirely enclosed Ikea AV unit, with almost no clearance above the CDP to a glass shelf. I have left a larger gap above the amplifier and I run the hifi with the glass door open about 2 centimetres at its widest point (this is a concession to my partner who isn’t that keen on seeing my hifi!). I tested my current Arcam 7SE inside the unit and noticed that it runs a bit warmer in there, and the CD72T is nice and cool when it is running outside of the AV unit.

I am already planning to install some quiet 120mm pc cooling fans to aid ventilation, I’m just waiting on a fan controller unit to become back in stock next week. I think this will help with the high running temps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the extra thoughts. Quick clarification on my situation...

The CDP is actually a CD72T. I assume that shouldn’t make too much difference to the running temps, although I know there’s a bit more kit squeezed in there compared with the CD72.

Also, my hifi is inside an almost entirely enclosed Ikea AV unit, with almost no clearance above the CDP to a glass shelf. I have left a larger gap above the amplifier and I run the hifi with the glass door open about 2 centimetres at its widest point (this is a concession to my partner who isn’t that keen on seeing my hifi!). I tested my current Arcam 7SE inside the unit and noticed that it runs a bit warmer in there, and the CD72T is nice and cool when it is running outside of the AV unit.

I am already planning to install some quiet 120mm pc cooling fans to aid ventilation, I’m just waiting on a fan controller unit to become back in stock next week.
Thanks for update.
That may explain things.
Personally I wouldn't run anything inside an enclosed rack, with my power amp I couldn't it would melt.......
Overheating will kill your kit very rapidly.
Re arrange shelving or fit fans but don't forget that that heat has to be extracted not blown back an itself.

TomcatUK

Jun 27, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for update.
That may explain things.
Personally I wouldn't run anything inside an enclosed rack, with my power amp I couldn't it would melt.......
Overheating will kill your kit very rapidly.
Re arrange shelving or fit fans but don't forget that that heat has to be extracted not blown back an itself.
Thanks - yes I have never run hifi inside a unit before, but needs must until I can afford to move to a larger home again. I will be running up to 3 fans all set to extract heat to the rear of the unit, drawing cooler air in from the front. Does that sounds ok?

Gray

Also, my hifi is inside an almost entirely enclosed Ikea AV unit, with almost no clearance above the CDP to a glass shelf. I have left a larger gap above the amplifier and I run the hifi with the glass door open about 2 centimetres at its widest point (this is a concession to my partner who isn’t that keen on seeing my hifi!)
You're not alone in making concessions to your partner Tomcat. I've read descriptions of people's 'better' halves dictating just about every aspect of their hobby.
(Including one bundle of joy that 'didn't like music' and wanted her partner to sell his hi-fi!!! FFS.)
Every time I read these things, I'm so grateful I live alone.
My equipment is also in an Ikea unit with doors. I bought some (expensive) Parliament hinges which allow the doors to fold back 270 degrees to each side.
Your fans may be quiet, but they won't be silent....hope your partner will be OK with the noise .
"Well at least you didn't have to put up with the fan noise dear......shame the house is a pile of ashes".

TomcatUK

Jun 27, 2020
Visit site
You're not alone in making concessions to your partner Tomcat. I've read descriptions of people's 'better' halves dictating just about every aspect of their hobby.
(Including one bundle of joy that 'didn't like music' and wanted her partner to sell his hi-fi!!! FFS.)
My equipment is also in an Ikea unit with doors. I bought some (expensive) Parliament hinges which allow the doors to fold back 270 degrees to each side.
Your fans may be quiet, but they won't be silent....hope your partner will be OK with the noise .
"Well at least you didn't have to put up with the fan noise dear......shame the house is a pile of ashes".
😆 indeed!!! The hinges sound pretty ingenious- where did you source those? My partner is pretty reasonable, but doesn’t like seeing cables which makes separates hifi a tad challenging!

I’ll just play my music loud enough that I can’t hear the fans!! Fortunately the control unit I’m buying has 3 speed settings so I will experiment with cooling power versus noise. I don’t think the recent warm weather is helping either (no air con in our house).

Reactions: Gray
Quite so, should have seen the set-up I had prior to marriage.
It's been slightly downsized but uprated since and relocated because it couldn't be in the living room any more upon arrival of our daughter.
Took me ages to adapt it to it's new position in the larger of our bedrooms but I think I am there. :)
Let's hope she never tries to sell it for what I told her it cost........
She is happy, however, with the Oppo which allows her to watch bluray discs whilst in bed...
Thankfully I also have a superb DMP and headphone set-up that I can employ both at home and at work.
I do, however, chastise her occasionally on using my Acoustic Zen floorstanders as a clothes-rack
Adaptability is my middle name..... :)

Reactions: TomcatUK and Gray

Gray

I don’t think the recent warm weather is helping either (no air con in our house).
It really wouldn't have helped, the ambient temperature was certainly concerning me.
As for the hinges, can't remember which hardware shop I got them from, but they needed to be brass coloured - I needed 2 pairs which cost me £15.
These are the same things but are double the price!

TomcatUK

Jun 27, 2020
Visit site
Here is an update on the situation as promised ..

I have installed 3 x 120 mm Arctic PC cooling fans at the rear of the AV unit. They are set up to extract hot air out of the unit, with the door being kept open about 2 centimetres to allow cool air in. The fans are powered by a Phanteks fan controller which has a 3 speed, wired remote control.

This has helped significantly, with the outside cases of the CD player and amp being cool to the touch now :).

I located the fans at the same height or slightly higher than the top unit on each shelf (which were the CDP and Amp).

As an aside, the Sky Q box which is notorious for running hot, still runs very hot (which is placed on the very top shelf with its own extracting fan too). I think Sky must source their components from Breville?!!

Last edited:
Here is an update on the situation as promised ..

I have installed 3 x 120 mm Arctic PC cooling fans at the rear of the AV unit. They are set up to extract hot air out of the unit, with the door being kept open about 2 centimetres to allow cool air in. The fans are powered by a Phanteks fan controller which has a 3 speed, wired remote control.

This has helped significantly, with the outside cases of the CD player and amp being cool to the touch now :).

I located the fans at the same height or slightly higher than the top unit on each shelf (which were the CDP and Amp).

As an aside, the Sky Q box which is notorious for running hot, still runs very hot (which is placed on the very top shelf with its own extracting fan too). I think Sky must source their components from Breville?!!
You might have a dodgy Q Box, mine runs warm if anything but then again, like all my gear, it's in an open rack.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts