Question Arcam CD37 or CD17?

Barry Watton

Jul 2, 2020
Visit site
I've recently upgraded my amp and speakers to Arcam's A19 and B&W's 606 respectively to partner my Arcam CD73, which I've had for donkeys years. I've also upgraded the speaker cables and interconnects to Chord's Clearway. I'm enjoying the fuller, more open sound immensely. I'm now thinking I should upgrade my CD player, just to eek out that final bit of detail that I can just about hear is there in the mix, but not quite realised. There are plenty of CD17s available second hand and not as many CD37s for a sensible price. I don't think I'll be playing SACDs, so I'm wondering if a CD37 is worth holding out for? Is the CD playback sound between the two models any different? Is the SACD functionality the only real difference between the two and CD playback-wise they're fundamentally the same? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Many thanks.

Maybe Arcam's website lists technical specs - that ought to give you an idea about whether they are very similar bar SACD.

The 37 seemed to have better reviews. I had a CD23t for a very long time, and changed in the last year or so. I would seriously recommend listening to other manufacturers' gear too though - I find Musical Fidelity's stuff to be more musically-engaging than Arcam's, at least from that era.

Reactions: Barry Watton
I've recently upgraded my amp and speakers to Arcam's A19 and B&W's 606 respectively to partner my Arcam CD73, which I've had for donkeys years. I've also upgraded the speaker cables and interconnects to Chord's Clearway. I'm enjoying the fuller, more open sound immensely. I'm now thinking I should upgrade my CD player, just to eek out that final bit of detail that I can just about hear is there in the mix, but not quite realised. There are plenty of CD17s available second hand and not as many CD37s for a sensible price. I don't think I'll be playing SACDs, so I'm wondering if a CD37 is worth holding out for? Is the CD playback sound between the two models any different? Is the SACD functionality the only real difference between the two and CD playback-wise they're fundamentally the same? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Many thanks.

Having owned a CD73T since 2005, I have recently changed it due to mechanical failure.

Traditionally the CD17 should match the A19 well. Whether you'll notice a good enough upgrade is another matter. The CD37 could be an overkill but I'd probably still plump for that.

Other brands that work well with Arcam are (ones I've owned):
Exposure
Rotel.

I've long sold Arcam amps and with my current Leema I've recently purchased an original Exposure CD 2010, not the S2 version. Highly recommend this brand. These rarely come up on the s/hand market due to age.

Reactions: Barry Watton

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts