Arcam CD192 vs Rega Apollo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I agree with you joelsim.

I have the Rega system which I don't think lack much. Its good with most types of music and is smooth, details and has punch and attack when it needs to. The Focals are great and bring out the best in the system. One thing I have learned also is that the cables you use can have quite a profound effect on how your system sounds. I tried my kit with the Naim cable and the sound was more forward and had a bit more oomph, but it lost a it of refinement. What I try and do is fined the type of presentation I like from the electrics and them fine tune with cables and isolation until I hone into the sound I like. As you can see from my signiture it is still work in progress but I have found the right presentation now and I am into the fine tuning bit. You dealer sounds like a good one, book a couple of hours in with them and play around with amps, cd players and cables, you may be surprised at what you find out you like, or it may just confirm the path you thought you wanted to progress.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="shari"]I agree with you joelsim.

I have the Rega system which I don't think lack much. Its good with most types of music and is smooth, details and has punch and attack when it needs to. The Focals are great and bring out the best in the system. One thing I have learned also is that the cables you use can have quite a profound effect on how your system sounds. I tried my kit with the Naim cable and the sound was more forward and had a bit more oomph, but it lost a it of refinement. What I try and do is fined the type of presentation I like from the electrics and them fine tune with cables and isolation until I hone into the sound I like. As you can see from my signiture it is still work in progress but I have found the right presentation now and I am into the fine tuning bit. You dealer sounds like a good one, book a couple of hours in with them and play around with amps, cd players and cables, you may be surprised at what you find out you like, or it may just confirm the path you thought you wanted to progress.[/quote]

Right then people!

If i am going to audition some amps, the following are ones that i would consider so far:

Roksan Kandy 3
Naim Nait 5i (My first choice)
Cambridge 840a
Primare I21

My budget is about £750. Any opinions on the above units, or some alternative suggestions. Bearing in mind that i find the A80 somewhat laid back, and the other kit in my system as far as synergy is concerned.

Thanks again

Tom

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]It's down to what rocks your boat. I personally like the Arcam sound, I don't find it pedestrian, and in fact with a few glasses of wine is just perfect. Everyone who has heard my system has been mightily impressed.

If you think a NAD system can hold a candle to an Arcam system then good luck to you.
[/quote]

it's really the Arcam budget,mid budget range that is not so good.The A85 was superb but that amp was the exception rather than the rule for recent Arcam amps. i had a loan of one for a while and it was v good.With the P85 i imagine it sounds sublime. One option for chiefbrody could be to buy an amp that is of similar price to the Arcam, or a little cheaper even, and add a power amp, My cambridge did not have, and i totally agree with you and FrOg on this, the detail or clarity of a diva Arcam. When i added the power amp,that i previously used with the Arcam, to my cambridge everything changed. What i have now is pretty close to, if not as good as, my old A75's clarity and detail but good punchy bass too.A much more enjoyable listen. roksan , nad and audiolab all do power amps. Not sure if rotel still do.

A

Anonymous

kandy could be one to consider , and you could upgrade by adding a power amp later. You did say that you found some amps a little in your face though and the kandy is going to be the same. I was in sevenoaks today and i was asking about audiolab stuff and the guy there said its not as raucous as the kandy but not as pedestrian as the Arcam.Somewhere in the middle. Maybe worth a listen.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="chiefbrody"][quote user="d_a_n1979"]Personally i'd contact Arcam direct.

Theyre great to deal with and great service. I emailed them to get a quote to have my Arcam Alpha 9 integrated and 9P power amps serviced, i sent them 2 days later and had them back in just under 2 weeks and they looked brand-spanking new! They even replaced both the facia's for me as well as the internal service!

They now sound so much better then before and even then they still sounded bloody good!
[/quote]

The Arcam website tells you to contact your local Arcam dealer does it not?[/quote]

It may do but i emailed Arcam via their website and they dealt with me directly. It may have had something to do with the age of the amps, not sure, but we communicated via email to begin with. They were excellent to deal with

A

Anonymous

I have an Arcam CD192 which I auditioned with Arcam amps - this combination was disappointing. I then tried the Cyrus 6 and 8 amps - both were far better than the Arcam and eventually bought the 8vs2. RRP is £850 but at Sevenoaks you can probably negotiate down to your budget.

Certainly worth an audition.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="heystak"]
I have an Arcam CD192 which I auditioned with Arcam amps - this combination was disappointing. I then tried the Cyrus 6 and 8 amps - both were far better than the Arcam and eventually bought the 8vs2. RRP is £850 but at Sevenoaks you can probably negotiate down to your budget.

Certainly worth an audition.
[/quote]

Cheers Heystack,

Funnily enough i am considering the 8vs2 amp as an audition. (See other thread) T.B.O every time i have bought from Sevenoaks they have given me a very decent discount on the RRP.

Heystack

In your opinion will the Cyrus give me that bit more "oomph" that i'm looking for, without sacrificing the clarity and detail?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

If you audition the Cyrus you will definitely hear clarity and detail - these are strengths of Cyrus amps. As for oomph - go for the 8 rather than the 6 - its worth the extra.

Always audition yourself though.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="heystak"]
If you audition the Cyrus you will definitely hear clarity and detail - these are strengths of Cyrus amps. As for oomph - go for the 8 rather than the 6 - its worth the extra.

Always audition yourself though.
[/quote]

I would never buy without auditioining. In fact i would not buy without auditioning at home with all my kit etc. I have already auditioned the Cyrus 6 a while back but this time i would be going for the 8vs2.

A

Anonymous

I would definitely try Arcam CD192 with Creek Classic 5350 SE.......I have this combination that drives Spendors S5e and I have to tell you I am impressed......

P.S.
Be careful with Apollo as it with wrong chosen systems it has a tendency to articulate high transients (example :some female vocals) making listening not so pleasurable. I think Apollo is excellent choice for Tube amps.

I just got CD192 and my jaw dropped.....excellent soundstage, sweet highs with controlled low punch.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I think many people underestimate what Arcam brings to the fold. IMHO they aren't good for Rock music, but if you want Dance, Folk, Acoustic, and if you like voice, then Arcam is superb.

A

Anonymous

So is the Rega apollo better for rock music then when compared to the Arcam CD192? Mainly Red Hot Chilli's, REM, Nirvana, Counting Crows type of music? or is there a better player. my budget is in the Price range of the above two models.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
It might make your decision a bit easier - i was ringing around for cd players to get quotes and i think Lintone audio had brand new cd192s for 400 pounds. I might be wrong so dont quote me on that but it will be worth ringing up and asking. I think it was the head office branch (thers three)...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Fraziel:Clare Newsome:

We'd still opt for the CD192 upgrade. but also look to put an amp-upgrade on your agenda as the next step - the Arcam A80 is a good amp, but can sound a tad pedestrian at times.

Clare is being rather tactful here I think with her description of the A80.To my ears the amp is soft and mushy in the bass with no drive or punch.If you are after more oomph and a less relaxed sound i would say it was a must that you change the amp first. I had an Arcam A75+, very similar sounding amp to the A80, and i have an Arcam CD73t.The soft sound I had was from the amp not the cd player.As soon as i changed the amp i had a punchy livlier sound. If you buy a CD192 your sound will still sound pedestrian, albeit a better quality of pedestrian. Do yourself a favour and change the amp first.

I would agree with that. Just having listened to some new Arcam FMJ amplifiers back to back with Naim and cyrus they do indeed lack some drive and impact. They are also nicely detailed and good to listen to for long periods though. With regards to the players in this instance, the 37 is clearly better than the 17 with the usual differences of more perceived detail, separation, cleaner bass etc etc but it did'nt make up for the amplifiers measured nature.

That it is possible to have good detail and punch without sounding fatiguing (as with the Naims) was evident when we swoped in the cyrus8vs2 and new player. It really was like a breeze of fresh air. Its easy to criticise anything but imo it was a very good combination compared to the others, keeping kind of the best bits of the rest with relatively little of their shortcomings. Incidentally, amongs others we used the R3's which suited perfectly.

This may be out of your budget at the moment but if you can, try and audition the above with your speakers before you spend your money elsewhere. The 8vs2 can be had discounted now and your current player is good enough to see you through until you can afford the cyrus if you happen to like it. Regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've just noticed this is a 7 months old thread. Why do people do this?
emotion-1.gif
. Confuses the hell out of me first thing in the morning, so to save myself further embarrassment I'm going to try and delete both my postings NOW

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts