Arcam CD192, Cyrus CD8x or Rega Apollo?

baldy38

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
I have a new Rega Brio 3 amp and B&W 686 speakers. I had been planning to buy a Rega Apollo as a replacement for my ageing CD player, but I notice there are some deals around at the moment whereby you can get a Cyrus CD8X for £699, a CD6S for £499 and an Arcam CD192 for £650.

What would you recommend I do?

A

Anonymous

I cant comment on the Rega but the Cyrus and Arcam are both good players. The Cyrus was a touch bright for me so went for the Arcam at £900!!

Where have you seen it for £650?
Always audition before you buy.

A

Anonymous

At that price I'd be straight to the shop to audition the 192...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="baldy38"]
and an Arcam CD192 for £650.

[/quote]

Sorry, could you run that past me again?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="baldy38"]

[/quote]

Sorry, could you run that past me again?[/quote]

I have an Arcam CD93 and wondered if the CD192 would make much difference considering the electronics are the same, and I believe transport is the only difference, but someone put me right if this is not the case..........

I've been tempted by the award the Cyrus CD8x gained, but prefer a laid back sound.

I wondered is anyone has demoed or has the MF X-Ray v8 CD or CD 3.5, as I have the MF 3.5 amp and MA GR20s.

Any help appreciated thanks.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Graham_Thomas"]
I wondered is anyone has demoed or has the MF X-Ray v8 CD or CD 3.5, as I have the MD 3.5 amp and MA GR20s.

[/quote]

I assume your amp is MF A3.5? if yes then it is a very good amp indeed. X-Ray V8 is smooth enough not to become bright and have plenty of details, great buy.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="Graham_Thomas"]
I wondered is anyone has demoed or has the MF X-Ray v8 CD or CD 3.5, as I have the MD 3.5 amp and MA GR20s.

[/quote]

I assume your amp is MF A3.5? if yes then it is a very good amp indeed. X-Ray V8 is smooth enough not to become bright and have plenty of details, great buy.
[/quote]

Thanks Thaiman, and an upgrade on my CD93?

Yes, MF 3.5 amp.

I always worry there will be no difference. I've gone Arcam CD73 to CD82 to CD93 so have become 'used' to the Arcam house sound...........

A

Anonymous

Not a fan of Cyrus myself, much too bright for my tastes. The Apollo is a nice cdp but the Arcam cannot be turned down for that money! It's far and away the best cdp in your list. Are you sure you don't mean the CD73? (still a very good machine)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
GT......I really like the A308 range, the last of a classic british builded MF. Now that would be the upgrade you might need to think about.

1). Tri-vista, 2). A308, 3). Nu-vista, 4). A5 5). A3.5 my little MF rating
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
GT......I really like the A308 range, the last of a classic british builded MF. Now that would be the upgrade you might need to think about.

1). Tri-vista, 2). A308, 3). Nu-vista, 4). A5 5). A3.5 my little MF rating
emotion-5.gif

[/quote]

So the X-Ray v8 is below that lot? :)

baldy38

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I'm intrigued by the way many of you have responded to these prices, though. Why is it that you are more shocked to hear about a CD192 at £650 - £250 below list price - than a CD8X at £699 - £300 below list price? It seems you all think the Arcam is the better deal, even though the discount is less and the Arcam is less highly rated by What Hifi.

Is that right?

Have any of you out there heard the CD192, the CD8X and the Apollo? And are there any implications surrounding the system I'm using - the 686s and the Brio 3?

I read in some places that the CD192 might lack a bit of life and attack. And although I don't think What Hifi's review of the 686s this month was correct (they're miles better than the Monitor Audio BR2s, in my opinion), they do have a warm, sophisticated, smooth sound, and, although I like that, I don't want to go too far down that road. Is that a risk with the CD192?

Finally, is it basically the case that, good as the Apollo is (and it is really, very good - it's the only one of the three players I've heard so far), the other two are fundamentally in a different league? If that's true, does the presumed family links between the Apollo and Brio cancel any of that out?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The Arcam CD192 is a superb CDP and it will fit in very well mwith most systems. It also blows alot of new, expensive CDP's out of the water in my opinion.

The only issue i can see though is that it's a bit 'over-kill' for the rest of your system, personally i think the Arcam would suit a much better amp, say the Arcam FMJ A32 and better speakers BUT at the end of the day its your choice as whether to purchase the CDP or not.

I have an Arcam Alpha 9 CDP and the sound is amazing, again, ive listend to quite a few expensive CDP's lately and only one that i listened to bear it, just, the Arcam CD192.

For your system though i think you;d be best going for the Rega Apollo. Its a fantastic CDP and will suit the Brio and 686's down to a tee.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Graham_Thomas"]So the X-Ray v8 is below that lot? :)[/quote]

Ah sorry forgot to mention that the original A3 is the X-ray in bigger box! and X-Ray V8 and A3.5 is almost identical in sound
emotion-5.gif

A308 is very similar to Nu-vista but without any tubes (sound more solid).

Musical fidelity marketing manager is the best in business (he should start up a re-cycle company)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="Graham_Thomas"]So the X-Ray v8 is below that lot? :)[/quote]

Ah sorry forgot to mention that the original A3 is the X-ray in bigger box! and X-Ray V8 and A3.5 is almost identical in sound
emotion-5.gif

A308 is very similar to Nu-vista but without any tubes (sound more solid).

Musical fidelity marketing manager is the best in business (he should start up a re-cycle company)

[/quote]

Thank you sir. There's a Tri-Vista DAC on eBay at the mo for £650 buy it now, hmmmmmmm.

Now then, toslink, digital or co-axial? :)

A

Anonymous

Is that Tri-Vista DAC worth the dosh? and would it be an upgrade to my CD92.............

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have the CD92 and if the 192 is better then you are getting a very very good CD player. At the end of the day it's about what sort of sound you want. If you like the Arcam detail, musicality and laid-back demeanor then you can't go wrong. If you're looking for a bit more attack at the expense of mellow then look elsewhere.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Why I am not using DAC anymore??

Because as good as the sound was, I always wondered what would it sound like with different transports?!!!

I think it would be an improvment over the many cd players but can't say for sure, sorry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts