Arcam cd player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is the CD192 a significant jump in quality from a CD72, and would the A65+ be a sufficient amp to use or would this need some improvement also.

Thanks like to hear what you think

RS

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Bluboy:

Is the CD192 a significant jump in quality from a CD72, and would the A65+ be a sufficient amp to use or would this need some improvement also.

Thanks like to hear what you think

RS

I think BigChris has just gone from a CD72 to a CD192 and he has the A65 amp so he may be the best person to answer this.

A

Anonymous

Cheers mate maybe if he sees this he'll let me know thanks again

RS

A

Anonymous

There is a definite jump. I have taken the same upgrade path as Chris. However, I have also gone one step further and recently chopped my A65 for an A32 which really brought out the depth of bass and detail of the cd192 which was not present with the A65+. I would recommend the upgrade but upgrading the amp to an A85 or A32 - both still available second hand - will bring far greater benefits for similar money in my view.

Our to you Chris...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
LowFeller:
There is a definite jump. I have taken the same upgrade path as Chris. However, I have also gone one step further and recently chopped my A65 for an A32 which really brought out the depth of bass and detail of the cd192 which was not present with the A65+. I would recommendÿthe upgrade butÿupgrading the amp to an A85 or A32 - both still available second hand - will bringÿfar greater benefits for similar money in my view.

Our to you Chris...ÿÿ

Couldn't agree more.

I think you'll find that the 192 has a harder edge than the 72, a lot more sparkle in every area. The amps mentioned above are also a great improvement and can be imprved further with the addition of a power amp later on.

What speakers?ÿ

ÿ

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi BluBoy.

As stated above, I've recently gone from a 72T to a 192.

It's been a mini revelation. I can honestly say I've heard stuff in recordings I know extremely well, which I've not heard before. No B.S. Subtle things granted, and they were undoubtedly there before, but probably swamped in the mix. The 192 has created more space for the music.

I don't like to roll out tired cliches, but it's made things more live and natural sounding. More sense of natural reverb and greater seperation and imaging.

If you can find one, then I'd go for it (Arcam can still convert 72s to 192s for around £500, but you can probably find a new/nearly new 192 for less than that). And be safe in the knowledge your amp upgrade whenever it comes will reveal even more.

*I will say that only a matter of weeks before getting my 192, I introduced some Rothwell attenuators into my system. These had a '2-steps-forward, 1-step-back' effect on my system, with more detail and space, but a slightly too warm sound (Which did decrease after an extended listen). The 192 redressed the balance towards a faster, leaner (But far from lean) sound. Now it sounds great, and it's easier to do small adjustments of the volume as a bonus.

A

Anonymous

Cheers guys, by the way is it worthwhile adding a power amp to the CD72 and A65+ or would you get better results from improving either the 72 or 65 or both and adding the power amp later. I am sort of in the notion to add the power amp but don't want to spend the money in the wrong area if you know what I mean. One other thing if I add the arcam power amp does it have to be the P75, or can I use the P80, P85 or P90. Is it important which one I use.

Thanks again

RS

A

Anonymous

I would go for the cd192. I had a 73 but the 192 is at a higher level and better in every way.

Then get the a32 when you can afford it.

Then it will be the interconnects, speaker cable, speakers, squash balls, rugs, curtains ect, ect...................................

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts