Arcam CD 73 DAC addition.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Looking for some advice please.

Thinking of adding an exterior DAC to my Arcam CD73 and I'm wondering what level of DAC would be needed to make a significant difference to the onboard chips ?

What about budget DACs like the rDac , Chord Mojo , Music Fidelity M1, that sort of thing, would that level of DAC really bring about a significant improvement or would I have to go up another price point to really out perform the 73's DAC ?

Amp is Cyrus 8vs2 , speakers TBD.

Thanks in advance for any input.

There's definitely more performance to be had than the cd73 can offer....I previously owned a cd 72t....a fine player but I got the upgrade module fitted to cd82 spec and the difference was very evident...I have done a side by side comparison between the cd82 and my arcam ir dac and they are very similar in performance..in fact I couldn't detect any difference between the two and I was using the cd82 as a transport for the ir dac.....so what I'm pretty much saying is..I'm pretty sure you'll get gains from the newest ir dac 2 and maybe (probably)even better from the mojo.

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
There's definitely more performance to be had than the cd73 can offer....I previously owned a cd 72t....a fine player but I got the upgrade module  fitted to cd82 spec and the difference was very evident...I have done a side by side comparison between the cd82 and my arcam ir dac and they are very similar in performance..in fact I couldn't detect any difference between the two and I was using the cd82 as a transport for the ir dac.....so what I'm pretty much saying is..I'm pretty sure you'll get gains from the newest ir dac 2 and maybe (probably)even better from the mojo.

Thanks Mark.

I'd probably lean towards the irDAC so , as I'd like if possible to retain the Arcam sound for my source.
Even the first irDAC i could pick up for a decent price second hand. Probably the way to go.
Cheers.

A couple of years ago I tried a Rega Dac with my CD73T. It was a pretty good match. That said, I found a Naim CD5i to be an improvement over the Arcam/Rega combo. The Naim had a better balance whereas the combo sounded warm and a little cluttered in its presentation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts