ARCAM AVR300 + DVR79 + HDMI Switching box? is this the best option

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm being told by the nice man at SSAV that I should buy and Arcam AVR300 amp and the ARCAM DV79 dvd player despite the fact it does not have HDMI switching and that to combat this I should buy a separate HDMI switching box. I need the switching as my Amp to screen cable length is 8m so it would be a too expensive to run multiple cables. Is the AVR300 that good that I should make this compromise???? or should I shop around for a new av amp that has hdmi switching. My budget for the AMP is £650 and the player £500. All advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Matt

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I can see where he's coming from, but I'd make very sure that the switching box you're buying can 'drive' 8m of cable to the TV. IME such boxes can be a bit fussy about the components connected either side of them, and you might well be better off with an AV amp capable of doing the switching for you.

As you've probably noticed, the AVR300 has been discontinued, as has the DV79, so you are buying relatively old, if still very good products. With your kind of budget, I'd be looking at Marantz DV7001 (£600) and Onkyo TX-SR605 (£400), which I think would work together particularly well.

A

Anonymous

The systems just for movies, I have Monitor Audio speakers...Radius 250's at the fronts and centre, radius 45's at the rear and a radius 720 subwoofer. :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice Andrew, can I ask... if I could afford it would it be worth spending a little more on the onkyo amp to get the next models up such as the 705/805? maybe even waiting to upgrade my current dvd player (samsung hd950).

By the way my screen is a Panasonic TH-42px70.

Thanks

Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts