ARCAM AVR 500 problems again

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Keith,

I had the Radius 225HD set up and it was fantastic but the Apex are on another level so if you stretch to them I would say do do.

They also sound superb with the ARCAM 500.

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
ric, I've heard the Apex with Anthems and agree that they sound the dogs, it's trying to find the extra £800 + stands cost over the 270's and new carpet costs when I buy them! Better stop going out at the w/e :)cheers: ) and start saving the cash :boohoo:

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Brief update. Amp settling in, no strange buzzes (yet) and starting to hear some real depth to the sound stage, sofa so good! :clap: Still not saving enough |(

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Hhhm, Interesting one this.

Loving the sound but.....

Although it worked perfectly at first, when I now turn it on (with the TV and Virgin media box) I'm regularly greeted with silence, I have to turn it off and then back on, at which point I have sound. This has gone from being a one off to 90% the time. I've tried switching around the order that I turn the three bits on, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thoughts on a postcard to......

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
This is exactly why I returned my 500. Yes it sounds fantastic but it's all the issues that come with it. As you know I swapped mine for an Anthem MRX 300 and it has more than impressed me. Better DSP, reliable with no issues and most of all ARC room EQ. Not as smooth as the ARCAM with music but I will be adding a power amp anyway.

No I don't miss it one little bit.

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Oddly my local dealer was pretty much dedicated to only demoing me Anthem/Apex combos. Didn't do that much for me at the time.

As for Peter Tyson upgrading me to a 600; can't see that one happening.

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, after many many months of very happy listening I'm starting to get a tad concerned that I have a problem. The sound (on satellite) keeps coming and going. Push the volume up and it comes back to normal level for a while before starting to play up again, definitely more of an issue when it's warm. Will keep an ear on it for a few more days before starting to put calls in.

Unlikley that a firmware update would solve it?

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
So here we go again.

I was watching the news at lunch when the sound went off, the screen display switched to showing Fault and it switched off. Having left it a few hours to cool down, I've switched it off and it is working again. For the moment....!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts