ARCAM AVR 500 problems again

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Well my 500 has started making popping noises through the speakers every so often when changing channels so I have had enough. It is going back to Peter Tyson on Tuesday.
They said they will test it and see what they can find but as much as l love it's sound this is my second 500 in 9 months, first one kept over heating,I don't want it back.
It has gradually started to have software issues which I have put up with like not switching on from remote about once a week,when muting sets volume to 00db,sound drop outs on audio codec changes etc.
I love it's sound but am not prepared to put up with these issues.
I do hope they do not try and return it to me saying they can find nothing wrong as the issues are all intermittent.

Any views guys?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that. Are you on the latest firmware?.....it may be worth a call to Arcam Technical. There are those who have got their AVR500s working OK, as well as those who couldn't take it any more and changed it. If you haven't already seen it, here is some reading: http://www.avforums.com/forums/arcam-products/1077679-avr500-information.html

The problem is getting something that sounds as good for similar money (particularly for stereo), especially if you got one of the cheap ones.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks CnO,

I was one of the ones who thought they had their 500 working properly. It has started to develop software issues over the last few months. It does sound awesome and I was going to stick with it but I told myself that if this one went wrong then enough would be enough. I am running FW 2.5 not the latest but from all my reading the latest firmware causes new issues. Yes I know it's sound can't be beaten for anything close to its price and yes I got it cheap at £1300 but I am now fed up with its software issues that I have little faith in it even with the latest firmware etc. This will be the second time I have had to take time off work to wait for a courier to collect an AVR 500.

I have a 5 year warranty but am not prepared to wait weeks on end for repairs when it goes wrong leaving me with no AV for the duration. I have contacted MR John Dawson of ARCAM to get his opinion but no reply as of yet.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Keep us informed of your progress.

Just be sure that you can live with the sound of any equivalent replacement...I know I couldn't, as I haven't heard anything I liked as much. In fact I would go 2.1 first.

Some disgruntled AVR500 owners have scored great deals on a AVR 600s. >)

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I will do but due to a loft conversion taking place there is no £ left in the pot for a good deal on a 600 even if it were offered!!!

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I so wanted an Arcam 500 too and have followed your progress with great interest.

I have witnessed your joy and all your frustrations and although tempted (especially when yours were going right) have never swained.

For me, the Arcam 400 may well be gremlin free (as far as I am aware) but its just not gutsy enough and the 600 is financially out of my reach.

Why oh why cant Arcam get it right and give us a bug free replacement model ?

Surely they must be developing something to get us Arcam fans trust back ?

Does anyone know if newer models are on the horizon ?

A working Arcam AV amp would be an immediate credit card purchase.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I love the sound of the 500. I really thought mine was ok. It runs cool for 10 hours plus a day,no fans etc. then the odd software glitch started to happen. Then it got worse things like not turning on from remote, noises through speakers etc. I could live with these cos it sounded fantastic. When it started intermittent loud pops through my speakers this weekend enough was enough. Peter Tyson can test it all they like and if they don't find anything wrong tough I refuse to have it back!!!

Im not taking more time off work awaiting couriers etc and trying to explain to my wife why I spent so much £ on something with so many problems.

It does sound fantastic though and very little can touch it for SQ at anything below £3-4k except the 600.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
ric71 said:
I love the sound of the 500. I really thought mine was ok. It runs cool for 10 hours plus a day,no fans etc. then the odd software glitch started to happen. Then it got worse things like not turning on from remote, noises through speakers etc. I could live with these cos it sounded fantastic. When it started intermittent loud pops through my speakers this weekend enough was enough. Peter Tyson can test it all they like and if they don't find anything wrong tough I refuse to have it back!!!

Im not taking more time off work awaiting couriers etc and trying to explain to my wife why I spent so much £ on something with so many problems.

It does sound fantastic though and very little can touch it for SQ at anything below £3-4k except the 600.

Your wife sounds like mine.

The big question is - where do you go from here ?

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking an Anthem MRX 300 due to its ARC EQ, i am big believer in proper room EQ, then at a later date possibly add an ARCAM multi channel power amp and use the Anthem as a pre/pro.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ric71 said:
I am thinking an Anthem MRX 300 due to its ARC EQ, i am big believer in proper room EQ, then at a later date possibly add an ARCAM multi channel power amp and use the Anthem as a pre/pro.

Anthem are fantastic for AV, but (imo) their affordable kit aren't as good as Arcam for 2 channel; so I think your plan of adding an Arcam Power Amp (if necessary) at a later stage is very sensible.....the P7 is excellent and the P777 outstanding.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree Cno. So this way I will get the best of both worlds AV and music again without having to rely on unreliable ARCAM software. Their power amps are superb and don't go wrong.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Well the ARCAM was collected today and back off to ARCAM.

An Anthem MRX 300 has been reserved by Peter Tyson and will be shipped once they get the ARCAM.

I wil post my findings once all set up and will save for a power amp.

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Now this is interesting. I too bought my 500 from Peter Tyson. Once it was delivered I spent hours sitting on the floor scratching my head to try and work out why I had no sound coming out. I called my local Arcam dealer and two guys came out one evening and couldn't get any sound from it either. They also called the Arcam rep whilst they were here and he talked them through settings. still no sound. So it went back to PT. PT says they have reset the factory settings and it now works. I'm at home today as it's due to be delivered back to me.

Watch this space!!

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I almost bought one of these from PT, as the £1300 price seems brilliant. Granted it's cheap for an Arcam, but it's a lot for an Arcam that doesn't work properly. Was this stock of £1300 AVR500s sold as "B Grade" or "Repaired Returns", or where they all premium grade A stock?

thanks

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
They were all new A grade stock.

This is my second unit so that's why I have had enough. It does sound brilliant but as I said enough already.

A

Anonymous

I bought one 4 months back (not from PT) - loved the SQ but returned it for a refund in the end due to "bugs" and glitches

in the end replaced it with a Denon 4311 - and whilst the baseline SQ is not quite as good - the sophisticated Audyssey XT32 takes the home cinema experience to a genuine different level - so overall an improvement :)

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
ric71,

I waited in all day and no-show, it's with the courier company, so will almost certainly be delivered today when I'm not there! |( Which means Saturday at the earliest will be when I can pick it up from the depot. :wall:

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
ric,

Saw a couple of days ago that Edinburgh hifi had some ex-dem Apex's from December up for sale at £1800. Thought about acquiring them but think that I've missed out.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Keith,

What a pain in the ****. I have been there too with couriers failing to deliver in the past.

The ARCAM 500 is a fantastic receiver and very little else will come close to its SQ even at full retail of £2500. For £1300 it is a bargain. I did want to keep mine but I found the various software issues were starting to annoy. ARCAM have fixed the overheating/fan noise for sure. I would run mine all day 7 days a week and it was perfect. It's just that when I started getting the pops through the speakers I thought forget it.

Arcam said that they could fix this with a new 3D board and all the other issues with a FW upgrade and a re flash but I decided that as much as I love it's sound I will not bother as I want something agro free. I know I will not achieve the SQ but I hope the advanced processing and room EQ make up for it.

Peter Tyson have fantastic customer service as do Arcam so rest assured they will support you with any issues.

By the way the Apex sound amazing through the 500!!!!!!!

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Woo and indeed hoo! :) It arrived back and via a couple of 'phone calls with Terry at PT, it's up and running. :clap: Haven't had a chance to give it a proper blast yet but that'll come. Now all I need to do is start saving a bit harder for some new speakers. Apex or Radius 270's? Hmmmm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts