Arcam and Quad

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

As any bargain hunters out there will tell you, there are some great deals on Arcam amplifiers - the Arcam A70 in paricular - and Quad speakers - I'm interested in 12L2. I won't have the chance to audition the gear, so I was wondering if has anyone tried these two together?

(I use a NAD 525 CD player but I'm not married to it)

A

Anonymous

Thanks. That seems to fit in with what I've seen about the two products separately. I'm trying to get away from my current all NAD set up, which is too bass heavy and lacking in detail for my tastes these days.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
the 12l2s are quite bassy speakers - they do need careful placement - so not to close to a rear wall as they are twin ported at the rear - it took me quite a lot of playing with positioning before i got it right but now they sing.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again. Perhaps the 11L2s would be a better bet for a small room, or I bite the bullet and pay full price for MA RS1s.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
alistairbaxter:Thanks again. Perhaps the 11L2s would be a better bet for a small room, or I bite the bullet and pay full price for MA RS1s.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
alistairbaxter:Thanks again. Perhaps the 11L2s would be a better bet for a small room, or I bite the bullet and pay full price for MA RS1s.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site

I doubt you'll get a bass heavy sound from the A70 but if you are close to walls make sure your speakers don;t have a rear port.

A

Anonymous

I can manage 10 - 15cm clearance but perhaps the Quad's twin rear ports would be a problem. The room is only about 3mx3m. (That said, it would be nice if my speakers were substantial enough to keep as and when I move up in the world!)

alistairbaxter:

Hi all,

As any bargain hunters out there will tell you, there are some great deals on Arcam amplifiers - the Arcam A70 in paricular - and Quad speakers - I'm interested in 12L2. I won't have the chance to audition the gear, so I was wondering if has anyone tried these two together?

(I use a NAD 525 CD player but I'm not married to it)

I agree with Joel. The A70 is leaner than a rasher of bacon and positioning of the speaker has to be spot-on.

My one concern is that you are not able to dem the amp/speakers before you buy. Can you not take a set of headphones and compare the Arcam with the Nad that way? It won't solve compatability issue with the speakers - at least you can compare the amps and be sure the Arcam is correct choice. (It was just a thought).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the thought, but I'm in and out of the country. The new set up is for my place in Greece and buying hi-fi gear there is an expensive pain, so mail order is the only way to go. There's a German company - Media Markt - that sells supermarket style, but the only decent brands they sell are Arcam and Kef (I figure my place is too small for IQ5s) Consequently, I'm pretty much stuck with reading reviews very, very carefully and shopping online.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts