Arcam amps, which to choose?

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Having loved the Arcam Alpha 10, I now also have the A85 and FMJ A22 as possibles......

It's to go with an upgraded Marantz CD63 MKII KI and Ruark Talisman II's

Does anyone have any opinions or first hand experience of which is best?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO if you want the sound and power similar to the Arcam Alpha 10 i'd be looking at the Arcam FMJ A32 integrated.

Before this though; have you considered bi-amping with a matching Arcam Alpha 10P power amp or similar?

This may be a route to consider also.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Bi-amping was definately a route I was going to go down, although not both boxes at once. All 3 amps seem to be able to be upgraded for this with their own kit

I've read some average reviews for the A32, the A22 seemed to fare better from what I've seen

A

Anonymous

Not trying to "threadnap" but check out my thread:
http://whathifi.com/forums/t/195689.aspx

The A32 got a good few votes as did the A85/P85 combo and Alpha 10.
A70 was ruled out as average

Hope that helps!

matthewpiano

Yes, the general rule with Arcam amps is to avoid the entry level ones (A65+, A70, A18) which are very average to say the least, and go for one of the better ones. The A32 is a cracking amp, although I'm not convinced its really going to be a major upgrade on the Alpha 10.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Agreeing with MP; the A32 wouldnt be that much of an upgrade unless you paired it with the P35 power amp.

IMO; out there today; the Arcam Alpha 10 integrated is still hell of an amp; IMO, one of Arcams best, so i'd personally be looking towards bi-amping with an Arcam Alpha 10P power amp.

Have you ever thought about upgrading your CDP; maybe to one of Arcams finest, the CD192?

If you can; get a demo with one of the top end CDP's and i reckon that'll get you thinking a bit more.

A

Anonymous

I too had a KI sig. Upgraded with Trichord Clock 4 & power supply.

Got a FMJ A32 with phono stage.

Then added P35.

(Then got the CD36 to go with it all!) Oh well has to be done when they were being sold at silly prices from ssav brighton!

Go for it. Can't praise it enough.

Turn them up through my PMC GB1s & the earth really does move.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The A85/P85 combo works very well together, and I would like to hear both this and the A32/P35 together to make a judgement.

In the meantime see the link below.

http://www.aslgroup.com/arcam/ReviewsA32P35.htmÿ

ÿ

If I were you, I would get the best bargain you could on the pair. The A85/P85 combo on fleabay would set you back £500, the A32/P35 second hand would be about £800, and new again on eBay would be about £1200. If I was buying I would go for the A32/P35 although I can't speak highly enough of mine.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Yes, the general rule with Arcam amps is to avoid the entry level ones (A65+, A70, A18) which are very average to say the least, and go for one of the better ones. The A32 is a cracking amp, although I'm not convinced its really going to be a major upgrade on the Alpha 10.

Would second that. Entry level Arcams are tedious to listen to. Smooth but tedious.

TRENDING THREADS