Arcam Alpha 9 Amp problem - crackle

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I have purchased an Arcam Alpha 9 and when you move the input select switch the left channel cuts out a little and has a static cackle to it. This fault is also repeated when you release the direct button. Can anyone advise on a solution to the problem, would a little home diy in taking the lid off and cleaning the switches sort the problem?

Regards

Andy

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Make sure the unit is off for a while and has cooled down, and there is no static inside. Disconnect from mains, remove the outer casing and lightly spray the volume pot at the back of the volume knob with electrical contact cleaner (not wd40 as it leaves a residue) available from electrical factors then rotate the knob a number of times.

If all appears to have evaporated usually 5mins or less, try using it agan and if no major problem is causing the cut out/ cracle it should sort it.

Good luck

A

Anonymous

not the volume unless its broke. never clean any volume/balance/bass/treble type controls unless you really must. There smooth action is very ofton ruined. Just clean the offending switches. ofton just working them well will have a self cleaning action. Also its a good idea to discharge the amp by switching it on when its not pluged in.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andy Ford:
Hi all

I have purchased an Arcam Alpha 9 and when you move the input select switch the left channel cuts out a little and has a static cackle to it.ÿ This fault is also repeated when youÿrelease the direct button.ÿ Can anyone advise on a solution to the problem, would a little home diy in taking the lid off and cleaning the switches sort the problem?

ÿRegards

Andy

ÿ

If you got it off eBay then you should get the seller to sort it out

ÿ

JoelSim:Andy Ford:

Hi all

I have purchased an Arcam Alpha 9 and when you move the input select switch the left channel cuts out a little and has a static cackle to it. This fault is also repeated when you release the direct button. Can anyone advise on a solution to the problem, would a little home diy in taking the lid off and cleaning the switches sort the problem?

Regards

Andy

If you got it off eBay then you should get the seller to sort it out

Joel is right. Try and contact the seller and see what he can do for you. Alternatively, you could find a local electrical shop who may be able to look at it.

I had a similar problem with my Alpha 7R and it cost me just £25.00, which is pretty good.

A

Anonymous

Yeah I have contacted the seller and he states the amp was in perfect condition, which clearly aint the case. The amp is ok once you leafe it for 10 minutes or so but if you switch inputs then you get the reduced sound and cackle in the left channel which is annoying.

Found a local audio electrical repair centre in Leeds so going to give it to them to try and sort.

Thanks for your help.

Andy

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Hope you dont mind me butting in here... I have a Alpha 8 which crackles when changing the volume at low volumes. I havent bought it off ebay but only paid £50 so would prefer to do it myself. Any suggestions? Would some contact cleaner do the job? Any particular brands?

Thanks

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i've had this with a couple of amps over the years but i found if i didn't have anything player and just turned voulume up and odwn say 10 times seemed to clear it as though dust or somethin on contact

A

Anonymous

do i need to shout? lol

dont use contact cleaner on your volume control. just give it a good work out. back n forth a good few times. its self cleaning. contact cleaner will probably ruin it.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Andy Ford:
Yeah I have contacted the seller and he states the amp was in perfect condition, which clearly aint the case. The amp is ok once you leafe it for 10 minutes or so but if you switch inputs then you get the reduced sound and cackle in the left channel which is annoying.

Found a local audio electrical repair centre in Leeds so going to give it to them to try and sort.

Thanks for your help.

Andy

To be fair, the seller might not have known there's a problem. I personally never touch the input or direct switches. Mine's always on CD and always on source direct.

A

Anonymous

i forgot..

check your sellers feedback to see what he has been buying recently. a couple of weeks ago an arcam9 with faulty input selector was sold on ebay. I cant see it in completed items, but i remember the add as i was watching it. (i just checked again. I cant think why its not in completed items. if he bought it then there will be feedback though)

A

Anonymous

Well just to update I had a go at the diy repair and managed to blow the output stage on the amp, don't ask how I just did and was foolish in doing so. Anyway all is not lost as it can be repaired and it's not going to cost to much which is a relief.

Currently running an Arcam Alpha 6 plus until the 9 is repaired and I must say it's a surprising little unit with an open warm sound to it and not to bad on the rhythm with a fair bit of pace as well. Obviously it does not have the details of the Alpha 9 (I have owned one before) and works well with my KEF Iq3's and a HOTAUDIO USB DAC taking lossless from my pc...

If anyone is interested in the DAC its a cracking little unit using the Burr Brown PCM 2705 and only cost me £80!!

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Sorry to change the subject slightly, but Andy, you mentioned you was going to use a local repair shop in Leeds which is where I am based. I have an Arcam A65+ amp which has started making a kind of "ticking" noise which appears on every source.

I was wondering who it was that looked after your equipment and whether they were able to sort out the problem? Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

Simon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts