Arcam Alpha 8 upgrade question - 8P or 9

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for an Amp upgrade. I really love my Alpha 8 and appreciate the warm sound of the Arcam but I would like to take a (small) step up (I don't want to upgrade the whole system).

I would be really grateful for some opinions:

1. Get a 8p and Bi-amp the MS 207's

2. Get a 9

??

Many thanks in advance.

Simon

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi, have you thought about maybe changing the Arcam Alpha Amp for one of the Arcam Diva Amps? I upgraded from a Alpha 5+ to a A65 and the leap in sound quality was superb. Plus you also get to keep that nice laid back Arcam sound.

Just out of interest, how does the SB touch sound with the rDac? Did it improve sound quality much? Just asking as i am too looking to pair a SB Touch with a rDac.

Slarty_Bartfast said:
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for an Amp upgrade. I really love my Alpha 8 and appreciate the warm sound of the Arcam but I would like to take a (small) step up (I don't want to upgrade the whole system).

I would be really grateful for some opinions:

1. Get a 8p and Bi-amp the MS 207's

2. Get a 9

??

Many thanks in advance.

Simon

Welcome to the forum...

If you like Arcam sound I'd go Alpha 10 (although very ugly) or enter the DIVA arena. Avoid the 9. Nothing wrong with it apart from it ain't an upgrade, unless you like hearing music at very high levels.

I know that DIVA range is very hit'n' miss. Go entry-level A65 or A85, the latter being high end of the DIVA range. Don't know about the speakers...

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I upgraded with an 8P and was very impressed with the difference. It really did give more punch whilst retaining the richness/warmth/musicality of the 8R. Worth a punt for about £100, and if you don't like it you'll be able to sell the 8P for what you bought it for (or more, the occasional one goes for silly money on the bay).

Oh and I loved your work on the Fjords by the way, very baroque.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replys,

I will have a look out for an A85 then. The problem is if I go too good these speakers will have to go! Its a slipper slope isn't it.

Graham in reply to your SB Touch + rDAC query - I have to say, I dont think the rest of my system as it stands really justified the rDAC purchase (although I was lucky and got a good price on ebay). I had a Marantz cd63 mk2 KI sig originally and absolutely loved it but decided to upgrade to the SB because having CD's around is v incompatible with young kids. I was impressed witht the SB out of the box. The rDAC less so (when you compare bang for buck) but as I said I think I just may of asked a bit much of my Alpha 8 amp. One thing I will say is it (the rDAC) did focus the sound of the SB a bit, opened the bass up a bit and took any harshness off the high end.

Just my ears though I am no expert!

A

Anonymous

That make sence. (Rob988's comment)

The A85 is quite a jump in price and I would have to retire my beloved Alpha 8 :cry:

Do you run the bass out of the SP2 pins on the 8P?

Perhaps I'm old and tired, but I think that the chances of finding out what's actually going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say, "Hang the sense of it," and keep yourself busy. I'd much rather be happy than right any day.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Slarty_Bartfast said:

The A85 is quite a jump in price and I would have to retire my beloved Alpha 8 :cry:

Perhaps I'm old and tired, but I think that the chances of finding out what's actually going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say, "Hang the sense of it," and keep yourself busy. I'd much rather be happy than right any day.

No, I connect the 8R to the 8P via the Pre-Amp "out" pins on the 8R to the Pwr Amp in on the 8P, and to the speakers using the SP1 pins on both amps: 8R to the HF inputs on the speakers, 8P to the LF inputs.

If I didn't have to replace my CDP, I'd be buying another 8P to run them as a dual mono system, which is meant to be another worthwhile upgrade.

Slarty_Bartfast said:

Given that the 8 is a beloved amp (I'm not taking the rise, been there with the A65), I wouldn't bother at all. The 9 will give you virtually nothing as an upgrade, and again if you add a power amp to the 8 it'll give you similar results to the 9... and you've got an extra box.:?

A

Anonymous

I hear what you are saying. I think I will try the 8p though, they seem to be at a steady 2nd hand price so I can always re-sell and upgrade to a A65 if not happy.

I'll post my findings.

Really grateful for the advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts