Arcam A85 vs A90?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Recently I have been looking into buying an integrated amplifier, either second hand or new, and after reading review after review and scouring many forums across the internet, I decided to look for a second hand Arcam A85, as the amp received very good reviews, including a 5 star in What Hi Fi and has been sited as a good second hand purchase. However, I picked up the latest WHFSV the other day to have a look and the newer A90 has received a 3 star review, where you said it was "anonymous" sounding. I was wondering, is the A85 better than the A90, in your opinions and, if not, has the A90 received a worse review because the A90 doesn't stand up to new similar amps today, where the A85 did when it was reviewed?

I ask because the A90, as I understand, is exactly the same as the A85 but with an improved power supply, so really I am wondering if the power supply has made the amp worse, or if the A85 wouldn't be a good purchase today.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

In brief, I think the answer is: They are both the same...it's just technology has moved on since the A85 was launched, whereas no improvement has been made in the Arcam range. The A90 has much stronger competition than the A85 ever had, the A85 is a great amplifier though - and the A90 is really, it's just it is way too overpriced, hence you are better off buying the A85.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick response.

Would the A85 at around 350 quid still be a good buy then, or would a new amp at the same price be a better bet, such as a NAD C352 (I realise not the newest model) or a Cambridge amp? Or maybe something else?

A

Anonymous

It depends really, the Arcam and the NAD have a relativly similar sound. It depends what sort of sound you like: The NAD tends to have a warm sound, the Arcam is fairly warm - closer to neutral and the Cambridge is quite hard, upfront and dry. They are all good amps in their own right, but personally I'm not a fan of Cambridge. The A85 is still a very good amp and if you could get a demo of an A90, it would give you a good idea of what the sound is like and then compare it to the NAD and if there is hardly any difference, go with the NAD because it is new. But yes the A85 is still a good buy at £350.

A

Anonymous

the A85 was the last good amp Arcam made.The diva range of amps are/were awful,being really gutless and dull, bar the A85.I had one on loan for a while and it is certainly worth £350.Technology has moved on and maybe the A85 is not worth £800 quid now but i bet it could give a decent £600 amp a run for its money.The A85 also had a very un Arcam like sound.It was not warm and rich but tight and punchy.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have the A85 partnered with a CD92T, it is very very good. It is also biamped with the partnering P85. If I were you I would go for the A85 and then the natural upgrade would be the P85 at some point in the future. Biamping IMO really makes a difference and would be better than spending more on an A90.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Just to clarify Fraziel's point. The sound is very detailed, very warm and punchy. It's very involving and musical in essence. It works well with all types of music but in particular acoustic and voice, a detailed midrange. It's bassy enough for me and I listen to a fair amount of dance music too, but having said that if I solely listened to dance music I would probably have chosen something else for the system and the speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys all help appreciated! I think I'll try listening to the A90 and maybe compare with a Kandy as well as the NAD.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

The A85 is good value at £350, even though it is second hand. I would say that it's a much better buy than brand new amps at the same price point.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts