Arcam A85/P90 - what next???

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Anybody help me draw up a shortlist to replace these two Arcams?

My budget is £2,500 approx. Moon and Leema are already in the mix, any other specific recommendations out there? Prefer to go integrated but that's not absolutely essential.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Rick,

My speakers are B&W 1NTs.
Turntable: Roksan Radius
DAC: Chord 64

Digital music streamed to the DAC in Lossless format.

My speakers are next in line for an upgrade but I'm going with the amp first.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:Anybody help me draw up a shortlist to replace these two Arcams?My budget is £2,500 approx. Moon and Leema are already in the mix, any other specific recommendations out there? Prefer to go integrated but that's not absolutely essential.

Whatever you buy I would be interested in how it sounds compared to what you're getting rid of. In real terms it's not much of an upgrade, although you can add a power amp later of course.

Why don't you try a C31 and two P38s as monoblocks?

ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
It obviously depends how you like your music and I'm not familiar with your speakers but for me it would be Naim's XS. Half your budget but it would almost allow you to add the CD5x. Mandatory and the two make glorious music. - If you need a lot of power for a large room, a plinius pre-power/Monitor Audio system impressed me some time ago. They do integrated and I would imagine they partner well with something like MA Platinums though I can't be certain about that.

As always, my opinion only.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
Charlie Jefferson:Anybody help me draw up a shortlist to replace these two Arcams?My budget is £2,500 approx. Moon and Leema are already in the mix, any other specific recommendations out there? Prefer to go integrated but that's not absolutely essential.

Whatever you buy I would be interested in how it sounds compared to what you're getting rid of. In real terms it's not much of an upgrade, although you can add a power amp later of course.

Why don't you try a C31 and two P38s as monoblocks?

ÿ

Hi Joel,

I hadn't really thought about going higher up the Arcam chain, but then again I've been really pleased with the A85/P90 sound, so maybe it's an option.

What I'm looking for is something to give me greater clarity/soundstage/detail at low, mid and high volume. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but I want more than I currently have - the perpetual itch we scratch when "upgrade-itis" bites.

Thanks for other suggestions, BC, Drummerman, Rik. The problem, as always, is being able to narrow these down to four or five I could audition.

Living in Wakefield, I've got decent hi-fi shops in Leeds, York and Castleford, and should be able to compare a few of the amps mentioned.

Should I go for a speaker upgrade instead?? Quandary.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:MUSICRAFT:

Hi CJ

What source/s and speakers will the amp be used with?

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi CJ

Are you using a seperate phono stage or the one with in the 85?

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

I'm using a Musical Fidelity VLP8 (think that's the model number) phono stage.

Charlie Jefferson:MUSICRAFT:MUSICRAFT:

Hi CJ

What source/s and speakers will the amp be used with?

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi CJ

Are you using a seperate phono stage or the one with in the 85?

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

I'm using a Musical Fidelity VLP8 (think that's the model number) phono stage.

Hi CJ

Thanks for your reply.

A very good phono stage. Hold on to your speakers for the time being (they are good) and stay with your first thought and upgrade the amps instead.

Imo ATC's SIA2-150 (as BC has also suggested) should slot in fantastically between your source components and speakers. I have used the ATC amp with your various components (including the QBD76) and it works a treat.
emotion-1.gif

http://www.atc.gb.net/sia2-150.htm

And just as i type this i have an SIA2-150 coming through the door! I'll get it unpacked and connected up the the QBD76 and some SCM19's. An afternoon of fun!
emotion-2.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts