Arcam A70 Bi Wire or Bi amp ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Arcam A70 which has 2 sets od speaker terminals, can I use both sets of speakers terminals and Bi amp ? would this be ok ? or should I just bi wire ?

A

Anonymous

Using the 2 sets of terminals would only yield bi-wiring. In fact you can bi-wire using only one set.

You would need a separate power amp in order to bi-amp. I'm sure JoelSim will be along shortly to extol the virtues of bi-amping an Arcam system.

A

Anonymous

Is there any benefit from using the two sets of speaker terminals to power one set of speakers ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Kestrel:Is there any benefit from using the two sets of speaker terminals to power one set of speakers ?

It depends on the speakers. What are you using?

A

Anonymous

I am using B W 685's, will it work well with these speakers ?

A

Anonymous

The Marantz PM7001 KI Sig has two sets of terminals too and they also recommend using both sets when bi-wiring as this apparently produces two cleaner signals as this lowers the amount of feedback intereference.

I can't remember the full explanation they gave but it sounded plausible.

I don't think will produce the same effect as if you were bi-amping, but anything that could reduce any signal interference sounds good to me.

I've lost my hearing temporarily to hayfever so I can't tell you if I can hear any difference. :(

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Bi-amp will improved overall control over speakers ONLY if speakers need more power.
Some speakers design, the like of PMC, do sound slightly better with Bi-amp however your money will be better spend on 1 good amp (or a set pre/power) rather than 2 average amps. As for bi-wire, I never experienced any sound improvement at all but there are plenty out there that will argue with me (but please don't... Anton :)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Having owned numerous Arcam amps, as well as power amps and B&W speakers, IMO the speakers sound and run better when bi-wired from the integrated amp and sound hell of a lot better when bi-amped :)

If you've just currently got the Arcam A70 integrated amp and B&W 685 speakers, take the speaker connection jumper bars out and run 2 lots of cable to the speakers. Use the top set of speaker terminals on the amp to power the HF connections on the speakers and use the bottom set of speaker terminals on your amp to run the LF speaker connections on the speakers.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
d_a_n1979:Having owned numerous Arcam amps, as well as power amps and B&W speakers, IMO the speakers sound and run better when bi-wired from the integrated amp and sound hell of a lot better when bi-amped :)

If you've just currently got the Arcam A70 integrated amp and B&W 685 speakers, take the speaker connection jumper bars out and run 2 lots of cable to the speakers. Use the top set of speaker terminals on the amp to power the HF connections on the speakers and use the bottom set of speaker terminals on your amp to run the LF speaker connections on the speakers.

Couldn't agree more. Biamping Arcam is the way to go. I personally would be surprised if I changed back to an integrated in the future.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:d_a_n1979:Having owned numerous Arcam amps, as well as power amps and B&W speakers, IMO the speakers sound and run better when bi-wired from the integrated amp and sound hell of a lot better when bi-amped :)

Couldn't agree more. Biamping Arcam is the way to go. I personally would be surprised if I changed back to an integrated in the future.

I'm toying with the idea... Erm...

May be going for an Arcam FMJ A32 soon to replace my Arcam Alpha 9 & 9P but keeping the RS6's and the Arcam Alpha 9CDP.

Reason being is i'm after a new car but also want to minimise my separates system for a while. Been offered good money by my mate for the Arcam's so may be sorting it this weekend.

I'm so busy with work currently (too'ing and fro'ing to London alot as well) im hardly listening to my system!

Oh... Have i mentioned i've just ordered a B&W surround sound system at the weekend... XT4s upfront, XT2s rear and the PV1 sub. Ordered the Onk TX-NR905E AV amp :)

Not ordered the centre speaker yet as a friend of a friend has one and might have that off him. He doesnt really know what it is... Haha!

A

Anonymous

I am waiting for a second set of speaker cable to arrive, I will do as you suggest and use both sets of speakers terminals and run 2 sets of speaker cable to each speaker, I do have an A70 with B W 685's.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The next plan if it were me would be to look out for a P80 or P90 power amplifier :)

Would give you such a better soundstage that you're receiving now. A well worthy upgrade!

You'll be amazed at what sound the 685's can produce when bi-amped!

A

Anonymous

I will investigate prices for the power amps , does it matter which one , P80 or P90 ?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Not really. Both will give you great results.

The P80s and similar Arcam power amps come up on Ebay all the time.

P80 - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-P80-power-amplifier-looks-sounds-stunning_W0QQitemZ150262376357QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150262376357&_trkparms=72%3A640%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

P90 - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-DiVA-P90-Power-Amplifier-Brand-New-Black_W0QQitemZ170232336145QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item170232336145&_trkparms=72%3A640%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

P75 - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-P75-Plus-Power-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ160253415251QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160253415251&_trkparms=72%3A640%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

All would be a spot on match :)

A

Anonymous

If I cannot get an Arcam power amp at the right price are there any others that would suit my Arcam A70 / Arcam CD73/bw 685's ?

A

Anonymous

Any suggestions for a power amp ? to suit my A70/CD73 and B W 685's ?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'd stick with Arcam. You dont really want to be mixing 'makes' to be honest.

You could look out for an Arcam Alpha 8 or 9 power amp but it'd be better if you stick with the DiVA series (P75 etc...)

If you cant afford one now, save up. Its the best way!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts