Arcam A65+, Rega Mira or Cambridge 640a or 740a?

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I'd love to get some advice on my next amplifier upgrade. Currently I have an Arcam Delta 60 amp, Cambridge Audio 640Cv2 and Polk Lsi9 Speakers. My old is is my weak link. I need something that can comfortably drive 4ohms and, ideally, I'd like a remote. Currently the following options are available to me. Arcam A65+. Cambridge Audio 640Av2, Cambridge Audio 740A or Rega Mira. The Arcam is the cheapest option and I like the fact that I can add a power amp later,. I assume the Mira and 740a are a bit better but cost twice the price (the Arcam has bee n placed on special because it is discontinued). Has anyone compared any of these amps against each other? I'd appreciate your thoughts

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
had the arcam liked it but thought it a bit safe sounding although the addition of a power amp will beef it up a bit but then it gets a bit more expensive.the ca 740 is a decent amp but the rega is better imo although the brio which is cheaper is better still.

A

Anonymous

i would doubt the arcam would be able to drive 4 ohm speakers well as it has a softish sound with not a lot of driving power. i had an A75+ and hated the thing s it sounded so soft in the bass.It did sound very similar to the A65 which a friend had.The Arcams have a more open detailed sound than the cambridge 640 but the cambridge bass performance is far far better.More punch and drive making for a more exciting listen. I have a P75 power amp and i use it with my cambridge.I intended to sell it but tried it on the cambridge and much to my surprise they went very well together. it opened up the sound nicely so i have all the detail and clarity of my old A75 but with good bass.If you dont want to match up the arcam power amp with the 640 then i would go for the 740.ideally you should demo.I have not heard the riga.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It completely depends on what sort of sound you are after. If you want smooth, detailed and relaxing then the Arcam, if you want forward but less hifi sounding then the Cambridge. I haven't heard the Rega so can't comment.

A

Anonymous

I know assumption is the mother of ***-up, but with those speakers I would say you would prefer the Arcam.

A

Anonymous

There's always 2nd hand for a P75 or a P85.

I know of a A65+ for sale at the moment, if you want to go down that route.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have an A85 and P85 which I'm extremely happy with. Great with all types of music except rock which doesn't really suit my tastes anyway.

For something like Groove Armada or Jack Johnson or K&D or Beautiful South or Fabric (various) or Back to Mine collections or Everything but the Girl they are just divine.

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Music wise I listen to quite a variety: jazz, rock, pop, electronic. Guess I will have to do the hard yards but I'd like t have only 2-3 amps to listen to (though I will looking at Rotel as well because the I can listen to my setup easily in a single store).

A

Anonymous

Just to throw another couple of amps into the equation!

I was in a very similar situation at looking for a second hand amp around the £200 mark.
I had a NAD c350 which was great but i fancied a bit more refinement.
So picked up an Arcam A75plus, good, very musical but not enough guts for my liking.
Have now got a Roksan Kandy KA-1 and its awesome, not the most refined amp but i love it. Lots of scale but still digs out lots of detail, can not recommend it highly enough!! The build & quality of the amp is by far and away the best at the £200 price point.

Good luck searching!

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="AdamLoewy"]Just to throw another couple of amps into the equation!

I was in a very similar situation at looking for a second hand amp around the £200 mark.
I had a NAD c350 which was great but i fancied a bit more refinement.
So picked up an Arcam A75plus, good, very musical but not enough guts for my liking.
Have now got a Roksan Kandy KA-1 and its awesome, not the most refined amp but i love it. Lots of scale but still digs out lots of detail, can not recommend it highly enough!! The build & quality of the amp is by far and away the best at the £200 price point.

Good luck searching![/quote]

No Roksan retailer here unfortunately. My other options are limited e.g. NAD. Audiolab, Marantz. Sadly, prices dont compare well- e.g the Cambrige Audio equate to 650 pounds and the Arcam A65+ has a recommended retail of 688 pounds in some shops. Downside of being on the other side of the world

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks once again everyone.

I was offered a good deal on an Arcam P85, so went for the Arcam A65+ with the P85, which I will biamp. The amp/power amp combo cost the same as 740a and less than the Mira- so I am pretty happy.

A

Anonymous

How does the A65 compare to the delta 60. I have a delta 60 and would like to change it as it has a noisy volume control and loses a channel intermittently. But I am worried about going backwards because some people here say the Nad 3020 which I found not as good as the A & R A60 I had which in turn was not as good as delta 60 I replaced it with can still compete with some modern amps.

Thanks

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="cooky"]
How does the A65 compare to the delta 60. I have a delta 60 and would like to change it as it has a noisy volume control and loses a channel intermittently. But I am worried about going backwards because some people here say the Nad 3020 which I found not as good as the A & R A60 I had which in turn was not as good as delta 60 I replaced it with can still compete with some modern amps.

Thanks

[/quote]

Well, everything is hooked up. The A65+ seems to be a respectable upgrade from the Delta 60 and I am very happy that I made the move. It has that lovely Arcam warmth that I like. The P85 seems to add a bit of bass control and things seem to hang together better at low volumes (not sure if that makes any sense?). Worth a listen in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

I'm glad you think the a65+ is an improvement ove the delta 60 whilst retaining the arcam sound as my delta is starting to show it's age and will have to be replaced soon. I'm not looking for any big improvenent but would like to retain the overall sound of my system and a remote control would be nice.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts