Question ARCAM A49 question

helloall

Nov 12, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone use an A49 with an ARCAM AVR in processor mode?

I recently purchased an A49 and AVR390 with such a plan. But after my purchase, ARCAM support told me that earlier version of A49 has a bug with its processor mode:

- Set an input to processor mode and assign a trim level (e.g AV and 72 which is the value to level my speakers)
- Use the A49 in AV (i.e. processor mode)
- Switch to standby
- Switch out of standby (unit will power up on Processor Mode)
- Now switch to another input (CD for instance), the volume will be 72 instead of its normal listening volume of 30.

That means in case I watch a movie and switch off A49, if I turn it on again to play CD, I must remember to turn down the volume or my speakers will be burnt instantly.

Worse still, I found that even if I do remember to turn down the volume before switching on my CDP, loud intermittent pops will come out of the speakers as I am turning down the volume. Arcam and I don’t know if this is part of the bug or other issue.

So I run a serious risk of damaging my speakers with this bug. I could even have burnt my speakers already on the first day if I did not approach ARCAM support to question the HT setup process!

ARCAM support has been patient in answering my questions and explained the A49 software can be updated by opening it up, plugging some header with a PC to update the software. My distributor now offers to do this upgrade or a refund. There is no longer other new stock.

For the record, I admire the sound of ARCAM and purchased quite a few gears of this brand. But it's so difficult just to get something that works smoothly so I can sit back and relax. My last ARCAM AVR was faulty on arrival as well and almost burnt my subwoofer

Does anyone have any experience with this bug? Could the loud noise from turning down volume with no source suggest a defect?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts