Arcam A32 vs Arcam Solo Music Old model

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
I own the Solo Music, I believe a 2006 / 2008 model. Have a Cambridge Audio 640P MM/MC Phono Amp attached. Connected to MA RS6 speakers.

I now saw a great deal on an Arcan A32 on a Dutch auction site.

The A32 is sold as part of a setup with also an Arcam CD33 and a Denon TU-1500AE tuner. He's asking € 550,- for the set, which is apparantly in excellent condition. Looks a good deal.

The A32 has a phono stage. My question is if the A32 would be an inprovement soundwise compared to the Solo?

I would say the A32 should be a bigger upgrade. However, this comes with a huge caveat: The A32 was first produced in the early 2000s, as with the CD33. As the seller is only asking 500-odd Euros for the two I would be a little dubious of the deal.

CDPs in particular are known to have issues with lasers and/or transport. So unless you are unhappy with the Solo I would suggest save up a bit more and look for A38.

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I would say the A32 should be a bigger upgrade. However, this comes with a huge caveat: The A32 was first produced in the early 2000s, as with the CD33. As the seller is only asking 500-odd Euros for the two I would be a little dubious of the deal.

CDPs in particular are known to have issues with lasers and/or transport. So unless you are unhappy with the Solo I would suggest save up a bit more and look for A38.

The seller is the 1st owner of the set and it comes from a audiophile home, he had Dynaudio speakers connected. I can listen before I buy. Its just an awesome deal. Normally the A32 is way more expensive even with that age and condition. I love the phono stage, I also think it will sound better than my Cambridge Audio 640P amp I'm using now.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Considering the history of the seller. I think it's an excellent deal and worth taking the risk.

Not to sound pessimistic, but usually old amps just need a recap to perform like new. And doesn't cost too much either :)

insider9

newlash09 said:
Considering the history of the seller. I think it's an excellent deal and worth taking the risk.

Not to sound pessimistic, but usually old amps just need a recap to perform like new. And doesn't cost too much either :)

A32 is not an old amp. I'd be surprised if it needed recap already.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
newlash09 said:

A32 is not an old amp. I'd be surprised if it needed recap already.

So even that risk is motivated then :)

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
newlash09 said:

Hi, can you enlighten "Recap" for me? My technical english is not that good.

insider9

Capacitors - caps

May need replacing in older electronics that's commonly referred to as recapping.

I've used older Arcams than A32 and they were fine. I doubt A32 would need to be recapped. You could do it if you wanted to for piece of mind but I wouldn't bother. It's a well made unit.

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
newlash09 said:

insider9

TheMaestro said:
newlash09 said:

See post #10

manicm

Maestro, what exactly about your Solo are you not happy about? I still have my Solo Mini and, at half your power, is still excellent.

I actually auditioned your Solo, and bought the Mini blind based on that.

The A32 may be excellent but I think you'd be giving up a lot of convenience - tuner etc.

Tip - I suspect the B&W 685s will be an excellent match. Or any Monitor Audio Silver speaker.

I haven't read this whole thread so I may be missing something, but I think you'd be making a mistake.

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
manicm said:
Maestro, what exactly about your Solo are you not happy about? I still have my Solo Mini and, at half your power, is still excellent.

I actually auditioned your Solo, and bought the Mini blind based on that.

The A32 may be excellent but I think you'd be giving up a lot of convenience - tuner etc.

Tip - I suspect the B&W 685s will be an excellent match. Or any Monitor Audio Silver speaker.

I haven't read this whole thread so I may be missing something, but I think you'd be making a mistake.

I really like my Solo, its just I was after a A32 from the start given its reviews. I settled for the Solo because I couldn't find an A32 for the right price at the right time. And I love my vinyl, so I think the sound is going to be better with the A32 rather than using the phono amp from Cambridge. Besides I don't like the look of that little box on top of my Solo.

TheMaestro said:
plastic penguin said:

The seller is the 1st owner of the set and it comes from a audiophile home, he had Dynaudio speakers connected. I can listen before I buy. Its just an awesome deal. Normally the A32 is way more expensive even with that age and condition. I love the phono stage, I also think it will sound better than my Cambridge Audio 640P amp I'm using now.

I would certainly go and test it (and the CD33). That's the only way you'll know for sure.

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
The seller currently has the Dynaudio Contour T 2.5 hooked to the set.

It will be my first encounter with the Dynaudio sound. I'm quite excited.

I will go coming Saturday to audition.

TRENDING THREADS