Arcam A32 or Arcam Solo [ old model ]

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys,

currently still looking on a Dutch auction site and trying to decide what to do.

I have the Quadral Ascent 850 speakers and a Thorens 166 MKII turntable.

Choosing between a Arcam Solo [ old model ] and an Arcam A32.

What would you recommend, sound quality wise?

Forget the bonus of a tuner and cd player in the A32.

Thanks for any input.

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
insider9 said:
A32 - 100Wpc dedicated amp that was $2,100 in 2002

Solo - 25Wpc box of tricks that was $1,600 in 2005

A32 all the way for me though not heard either.

Thanks, I believe the Solo delivers 50W per channel at 8 ohms.

insider9

Apologies for misinformation. And thanks for correcting me, both.

I'd still go with A32. With an integrated all the attention went into the amplification. With Solo focus was to deliver an all-in-one. Granted by the reviews a good one but you mentioned looking for an amp. Should you wish to upgrade speakers A32 will have much better chance with a larger number of speakers vs the Solo.

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
I found a Solo on a Dutch auction site and I'm going for that one now. I can trade in my Onkyo TX-SV545 receiver. According to everyone its a step forward in sound quality which is what I'm after. Still on the look out for a phono stage to hook up my Thorens 166 MKII vintage turntable. The Cambridge Azur 640P caught my attention. Comments and suggestions welcome. Thanx!

manicm

TheMaestro said:
I found a Solo on a Dutch auction site and I'm going for that one now. I can trade in my Onkyo TX-SV545 receiver. According to everyone its a step forward in sound quality which is what I'm after. Still on the look out for a phono stage to hook up my Thorens 166 MKII vintage turntable. The Cambridge Azur 640P caught my attention. Comments and suggestions welcome. Thanx!

Great, I'm sure it will be good. I have my Solo Mini for over 8 years and no problems yet.

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
on a Dutch auction site in like new condition. I'm very pleased with it. Solid built, beautiful sound, detailed and crisp, made my speakers Quadral Acsent 850 grow even more. Still on the lookout for a Cambridge 640P pre-amp. Can't play my vinyl collection now.

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
sounding CDP and tuner. And even its an almost 10 year old machine its design is very much up to date and still looks great. Also the setup was very easy. I remember setting up radio channels was a PIA on my Onkyo receiver, had the bloody thing for 15 years and never succeeded in setting up preset radio channels. With the Arcam Solo it took me 4 minutes. Oh happy day!

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
finding a nice phono pre-amp to hook up to my Thorens 166 MKII turntable.

I fancy the Cambridge 640P, gets great reviews, looking for a used one. So if anyone....................

But other suggestions, besides the Cambridge, are more than welcome!

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
I got my self recently. Sometimes it sounds like its on a bad FM channel, not properly tuned.

I also have a Onkyo CD changer connected, currently on the AV line-in. Does it make a difference where you plug it in? What would be the best option to connect my CD changer?

insider9

TheMaestro said:
I got my self recently. Sometimes it sounds like its on a bad FM channel, not properly tuned.

I also have a Onkyo CD changer connected, currently on the AV line-in. Does it make a difference where you plug it in? What would be the best option to connect my CD changer?

Can you explain the fault a bit more? It sounds bad when listening to what exactly?

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
insider9 said:
TheMaestro said:

Can you explain the fault a bit more? It sounds bad when listening to what exactly?

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I seem to hear it when I listen to the FM radio or when I listen to my connected Onkyo CD changer. Its just not a full clear sound, more like a bad set radiochannel, disturbance in the back ground, a hissing that covers the sound.

insider9

TheMaestro said:
insider9 said:
TheMaestro said:

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I seem to hear it when I listen to the FM radio or when I listen to my connected Onkyo CD changer. Its just not a full clear sound, more like a bad set radiochannel, disturbance in the back ground, a hissing that covers the sound.
It doesn't sound very encouraging :(

Have you tried connecting Onkyo to other inputs? Have you tried other sources? Have you tried the Onkyo with a different amp?

TheMaestro

May 7, 2017
Visit site
insider9 said:
TheMaestro said:
insider9 said:
TheMaestro said:

Thanks for your reply.

It doesn't sound very encouraging :(

Have you tried connecting Onkyo to other inputs? Have you tried other sources? Have you tried the Onkyo with a different amp?

I'm also expecting my acquired Cambridge 640P phone-amp by mail today, and see how that goes. I will also try some other inputs. I'll get back here. Thanks for bearing with me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts