Arcam A18 + Q300

yangdom

May 3, 2013
Visit site
While I m waiting for pioneer N50 (should arrive on 9th May), I just directely use a cheap Dac connect to Arcam A18. Here is the problem, I found the A18 volume level is lower than others, since its screan shows figure 72 as its maximum volume. Firstly, I just turn the volume no more tha 40. But gues what, Q300 sounds like TV talking (I would say quite). Then I double check the manuel, yes he says 72 is my maximum voice. Then I try to turn it up a bit further. Until somewhere around 53, I finaly got the sound that can full-fill the room (I mean big but not load) . Then I start to play Adale's "Someone like you 24bit/88KHz Flac through dac". It was quite good first, but when the lady sang in the middle of the song, at certain frequency of her voice, I heard a bit distortion there, just very quick, sounds like the noise from the wooden body, but not sure. Then try a violin, just pure one. At same freuency bit, the same noise came up again. >_< ...... Not sure is there anything wrong. But I called my local shop and got a texi to get the system checked. But when we listened a music with Arcam CD player (played different song not those I mentioned above). Sounds oK, but the volume level still have to turn up to 50 to full-fill the demoroom.... So I just leave the distortion bit away, wait for the further test after my pioneer arriving to see if this caused by my cheap dac or computing set up. (Computer and Dac volume both stay about 70% of the full level) And A18's scream is showing "CD 51".

So for now, I m satified with sound quaility when A18 stay 50 above, but is this the right way, since it's maximum is72. It seems more than 2/3 of it total volume level, but just provide me with such normal sounding volume. I will keep to update the situation after my N50 is delivered. Well, I guess, if you are a heavy or loud music fans, should double consider take the A18 to be your choice. It even say 50W, but it doesnt sound enough load untill you reach above 50.

Is this the normal case here?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
... go for it.. PM6004 with Q300 is great sounding combo. you've got balance ( useful for not ideal rooms) and tone controls, features skipped from many if not all british amps.

yangdom

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Thx for your reply, but how about Arcam fmj A18, that was not my option as it was beyond my budgt, but now, it just 299 in richer sound.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/arcam-a-18-from-richer-sounds-deal-of-the-century

Will Arcam A18 beats PM6004?

TRENDING THREADS