Arcam A 19. I feel it has a big issue.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
If I were you I'd sell the arcam and buy a nad c370/c372/c375.

I used to (and still do) thrash the #### out of speakers and have several times pulled the cutout on 200w rms speakers' tweeter protection.

The nad c370 stood up to everything and is operational after abuse. Cannot say the same about arcam no matter how much I liked the sound.

I also used it head to head against a 200w rms dj amp (200/side may seem low but it was 600 rms bridged which was how I used it). When the dj amp was borderline clipping the nad could still output more spl (measured).

Stereophile measured it could output 180w rms into 8 ohms and more into 4/2. Dynamic power was also waaay higher.

I can't really think of another amp in the price range that will match it for balls if you want to #### your B&W's ...(Why would you want to though - buy some nexo 10's or something if you want loud - pushed hifi sounds crap anyhow!??).

atishaysingh

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Hoy many speakers can you name that do not drop below 6 ohms specially entry levels that have good reveiw on this website.

Yes sentivity of the speakers also make some difference...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I don't think the drops in impedance are causing the damage to the tweeters. It is clipping from you overdriving the amp.

Trying to get too much volume from a not very powerful amp. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have problems driving entry level speakers at reasonable volumes. The changes in impedance might mean that it doesn't have full control at certain frequencies, but it shouldn't mean that it will destroy the driver every time it tries to play sounds at those frequencies.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I think somthing could be wrong with your particular amp. Or perhaps somehting is wrong with this newly designed Chinese made Arcam A19.

I have tried the U.K. made Arcam A18 before in a store with a large show room. The Arcam drove both the B&W CM9's and 683's fine. I remember cranking the volume to least 50-55 for short periods having no problems at all.

Perhaps your longer listening sessions at higher volumes was a problem? My listening session only lasted about 10 minutes.

Did you have the bass tone control turned up? This would have drained more current.

Check the fuses. Otherwise you are going to need to bring it in. Could be a bad capacitor or a faulty transistor.

Also, unless you are having a party or your stereo is in a very large space there really is no need to listen so loudly. You will be deaf by 40 and this will no longer be a viable hobby for you.

Good luck with your amp.

TRENDING THREADS