Arcam A-19 and Kef R500

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

Need options; what do you think can A-19 drive R500 up to moderate listening levels?

I know that it will work, but can it control the bass or R500 would be an overkill for this amp?

Thanks!

matthewpiano

Arcam and KEF pair together nicely and I'm quite sure the A19 will be able to drive the R500s. What it probably won't do is control the low-end as tightly as something better like an A38. An audition is really going to be the only way, and preferably at home in your listening space.

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I am looking at A-19 because I alreday have it. ;)

Just considering options...

Different music really, acustic, chillout, cafe del mar, vocals, some pop and rock (80s, 90, recent), some smooth jazz, classic,...

I am not listening to some bass heavy music.

Room is 3,8m (wall on which is TV and speakers), 9m on right side of the room (when looking toward speakers) and 4m on left side. Room is about 4m high.

Curently using R100 which are absolutely great for size, but just cannot cover bass and deeper nots as much as I would like.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Keep the R100's and get a subwoofer?

For what an upgrade to R500's would cost you could get a top of the range BK Monolith + and still have change (sorry to everyone if I'm sounding like a stuck record vis a vis BK)

matthewpiano

philipjohnwright said:

For what an upgrade to R500's would cost you could get a top of the range BK Monolith + and still have change (sorry to everyone if I'm sounding like a stuck record vis a vis BK)

Seems an eminently sensible idea to me and would provide controllable bass extension.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
philipjohnwright said:

Seems an eminently sensible idea to me and would provide controllable bass extension.

+ 1

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I demo'd the r500 last month with the k2, naim 5i and xs.

The k2 was very poor sounding like it was playing under a blanket, the 5i was better but a little bright and lacking detail. The xs was awesome with detailed and natural sound.

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for comments!

Regarding Naim XS - that amp is almost 3x price of A-19, taking into account upgrade price for speakers and amp - that is just too much compared to what I am prepare to finance, so that is out.

Regarding sub, I have so-so feeling. If I have to give 1k euro for good musical sub than calculation is not so much on sub option...

Also have some concerns regardsing integration, but am willing to try.

Current sub that I am using is some cheap Monitor Audio amp wich is good for movies, but not for music.

BK Monolith is not available in my county, do you have some other ideas what should I demo? Music is number 1 priority as I think that any musica amp will be good enough for movies (which I watch maybe 1-2 per week)?

Thanks

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Kef R series are difficult to drive and require a powerful amp with at least 75W or more. Look for more sensitive speakers. Amp is more important than speakers IMO, so choose your speakers wisely. If you did hook up the Arcam A19 with R500, you might be disappointed that a cheaper speaker will sound better with the Arcam.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. You should try to hear the R500s on the end of the A19 and see what you think.

I suspect the paring will keep you happy until upgraditus strikes sometime in the (near) future.

It is worth reading this review (if you haven't already) to see what speakers were used by WHF: http://www.whathifi.com/review/arcam-fmj-a19

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
I can't see no reason why the A19 should not be able to handle the r500s, when i demoed the arcam i heard it with the r300s and i wish i only had the space to accommadate them as the sheer quality of bass control and clarity was amazing.

It also didn't require lots of volume to get the speakers singing so i can't see it being a problem with the r500s.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
JohnKK said:
I will for sure go for demo and try them and see.

Any sugestions for sub?

IMO. You should leave the Sub until you are sure that you need one...........then if you still want one, we can give some suggestions (if you give a budget). You could of course put the money to the R700s.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what is available in Croatia, have a look on the internet, best if you had a few demos and then came back if you need more help.

Just beware that rooms can have a major effect on the sound.

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
Not sure what is available in Croatia, have a look on the internet, best if you had a few demos and then came back if you need more help.

Just beware that rooms can have a major effect on the sound.

If you are reffering to what brands are available, I can get lets say mainstream brands: Kef, MA, B&W, mission, ... and other bigger brands, but not some specilized ones (like MK monolith; I assume they produce only subs?).

But question is can I get a good musical sub for up to 500 euros S/H or new?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts