Arcam 9 amplifier

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Seen an Arcam 9 amplifier for sale at a good price. Familiar with the arcam 5 amp but found it a bit lacking at lower volume levels and also a bit reserved with livelier tracks.
Never really rated the arcam 5 amp till I put the dali lektor2 at the end of it which actually sounded pretty good.
Really looking to see what arcam 9 offers over the arcam 5 with the remote being an obvious benefit. Already have an arcam alpha cd player.
Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Great amp... Had that and the 9P power amp with some B&W 603 S2's and then some Monitor Audio RS6's a few years ago

Sounded brilliant with an Arcam Alpha 8SE cd player...

If its at a good price buy it; at 70wpc it's great sounding & with good power in reserve :D

T

the record spot

This used to go secondhand for £150-170 which is fair enough. Once you start going north of £200 and esp £250 and over, it's up to you. I've seen one or two asking £300-odd for it and that'd put it right off the radar for me. Great range in its day, but an exercise in the overuse of drab plastic. You might also land an Alpha 10 for good money if you look around - I saw one in English Audio's website a few weeks ago for about £170.
small-logo.png

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Can get it for £120 and can also see it and pick it up unlike any ebay purchases and looks good value. Only really a temporaory step till I get can get speakers upgraded. Arcam 10 would be nice if I could get it for sensible money/

A

Anonymous

That's a lot of very good amp for not a lot of money!

Buy it and enjoy it. It could (and more than likely) be the case that when you sell you'll make a profit as well as they sell currently closer to £200.

Dont rush to sell it on those; it'll last numerouse speaker/source upgrades and I think you'd have to spend £600 plus to get a better amp (Leema Pulse, Creek Evo II, Kandy K2 etc...)

T

the record spot

Assuming it's in good condition, well looked after and not shabby, then just buy it. If you don't like it, you can always sell it on for more than you've paid. Good price, if you just want a straight integrated, it's worth the punt I think.
small-logo.png

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have been looking for Alpha 9 to replace my 5 as well, if you can get one in good condition and no crackling on the pots for under £150 I think you have a good buy, out of curiosity does it have the phono stage ?

Also interested if anyone knows how it would compare with a NAD c370 ?

Good luck with your purchase

T

the record spot

Shanka said:
Hi, I have been looking for Alpha 9 to replace my 5 as well, if you can get one in good condition and no crackling on the pots for under £150 I think you have a good buy, out of curiosity does it have the phono stage ? Also interested if anyone knows how it would compare with a NAD c370 ? Good luck with your purchase

Think of the two, I'd go for the NAD, the 370 was incredibly well rated when it came out and still a great amp. The ALpha 9 has become more of a cult item in the last two or three years and prices have shot up based on word of mouth than it necessarilly being as good as the word reckons it is. My take only, and of course you'd need to try them out together in whichever setup it's going in to be sure of course.
small-logo.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts