Arcam 85 or Rotel RA-03

MiddleMan

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
Right, I've decided to go second hand to add an amp to my new Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD and Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 speakers instead of the What Hifi recommended new buy Cambridge Audio 640A v2 (or Marantz PM6002).

I have a choice of an Arcam A85, Arcam Alpha 9 or my current preference, the Rotel RA-03. Which do you think would fit into my the system the best? I like a lot of rock and heavy metal music, but it should also suit Massive Attack, Radiohead and Modern Jazz? What do you all think?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The Rotel is good i have to say but i think the Arcam will level out the forward treble of the BR2's and make the sound smoother yet still with plenty of punch and well timed treble.

I have the Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp and have struggled to find an amp to better it, even opnes that have been mega-bucks. Arcam seems to suit M/A speakers very well

I listen to alot of Rock and electronic bassy music and the Alpha 9 make the M/A speakers sing!

A

Anonymous

Rotel. Have the RA03 and love it. It's very musical and drives my RS1s very well. Can't decide whether I should get one RB06 power amp for biamping, two for mono-blocing or to get a new amp completely...

MiddleMan

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
Sorry igglebert, I knew I would get a reply from you, so your score doesn't count!!

Only joking! But I did expect a reply in favour of the Rotel from you as I have seen recommend this amp before. You are obviously pleased with its sound and can therefore recommend it from experiece. Looks as though everyone else agrees with you, so I think we have a full time result, unless anyone wants to disagree and take the match into extra time!

Sorry Arcam, looks like its an away win this time!

A

Anonymous

Haha, but I used to own an Alpha 8 and 8P with a pair of MAs too. There are times I miss it, so it's def a close call.

A

Anonymous

The A85, and even the Alpha 9, are in a different class to the RA-03. Go for the A85.

MiddleMan

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
....and along comes Mr_ Orange to throw a spanner in the works!

Have you had either of these in your own system then 'Orange? Or are you just an Arcam man through and through and won't have a word said against them. I would welcome your experience and thoughts.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
^^^

My sentiment exactly BUT as i've always said, everyones hearing is different

The Rotel amps may be well suited to Rock/Pop/Bassy music etc but i feel that if you were to audition the Rotel RA-03 against either the Arcam Alpha 9 or 10 integrated amps, you would see why people think they'd go better with the BR2 speakers.

The Arcam amps make the forward treble on M/A speakers sing so well. They have better control over the power compared to the Rotel as well, but thats just my opinion!

I hope you get a chance to audition more before you buy!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="d_a_n1979"]^^^

They have better control over the power compared to the Rotel as well, but thats just my opinion!

[/quote]

I think I'd be inclined to agree with this and I also think that the sonic recipe is a little different in the Rotels. For me the Rotel had 'magic' when I first auditioned it, as did my old Arcams. When I upgraded I was looking for a less laid back sound that wasn't too bright with MA RS speakers and the Kandy CDP source. The result is definitely very musical and a 7.5 out of 10 on the brightness scale if 5 is neutral. I think to get the control I was really looking for I need to add a power amp for biamping, or sell up and move up the scale. I will also look to creating a less bright system next time...I'll get it right one day.

Either way, I hope you audition one (or an RA-06) to see what you think. Whatever your taste, still a very good amp and appears on eBay occasionally. Please let us know what your thoughts are if you do.

A

Anonymous

I'd have to say Rotel. Its true the Arcam will probably soften the brightness but I just find it a rather bland amp. Although I have only heard it in my father's setup (alpha 9, Marantz cd63ki, and kef IQ5s) I just found it a rather dull listen, hard to describe, almost as if it was correct/accurate but just a bit...boring really. I know its not the cdp cos i've heard that in other systems.

I have the Rotel RA-1062 and absolutely love it! (Which you can pick up for £300 on ebay!) Although not the RA-03 I think they will have very much the same characteristics. What's more I also have it powering MA BR2s and it is very musical. I would agree that it suits bassy stuff, it seems to have so much power on tap and the bass it manages to get out of the little BR2s is quite frankly amazing at times. So the only real variable between my system and the one you are proposing is the cdp, I'm using the Rotel RCD-1072...

All in all I just cannot see you being disappointed with a Rotel amp (whichever you decide to go for!)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="joeparnell"]kef IQ5s
[/quote]
They can suck the life out of many systems...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Mr_Orange"]The A85, and even the Alpha 9, are in a different class to the RA-03. Go for the A85.[/quote]

I agree totally.The arcam was a belter of an amp at about £750 -£800.The rotel is good but we are talking amps of similar age here one of which cost about £350 and the other about £800.Both 5 stars. I have heard the Arcam and its the only arcam diva amp that i like as it actually had some guts and drive to go with the refinement.Its superb and is, as Mr orange said, in a different class to the RA03.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"][quote user="Mr_Orange"]The A85, and even the Alpha 9, are in a different class to the RA-03. Go for the A85.[/quote]

one of which cost about £350 [/quote]
_cough_ you mean £500...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"][quote user="Fraziel"][quote user="Mr_Orange"]The A85, and even the Alpha 9, are in a different class to the RA-03. Go for the A85.[/quote] one of which cost about £350 [/quote] _cough_ you mean £500...[/quote]

sorry, iam thinking of the 02. Still think the Arcam would do it. it was the best mid priced amp around for a good bit and could hold its own against a few good ones today. Stick a P85 on it and you would have a sound to die for.

A

Anonymous

Oops, I seem to have lit the blue touch paper.

I'm not a fan boy, no. My point was that you were comparing apples with oranges, IMO, which is why I said they were in different classes. There's been a lot of talk about the DIVA amps on here, which in summary was, the cheaper models were gutless, but that the A85 was fantastic, especially when bi-amped with a P85. It's all subjective of course!!

For info, I've owned an A65+. I wanted an A85 at the time, but just could not afford it. That was coupled with a Rotel RCD-1070 and B&W 601 S3s, and sounded great to me. It has now been retired and I run an Audiolab 8000AV/X7 pairing.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have an A85 coupled with a P85 and it's smoother than a Harrods Teddy. Not a rock man though and even things that are semi rock are not ideal for Arcam. If you like vocals, instruments like guitar and piano, chillout, house, even The Beautiful South then Arcam is the one, for rock music I personally would go for something else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts