Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:What an album!

The CD is gathering dust on top of my turntable. My wife bought it for me as a recent birthday gift, but I can't stop playing All Delighted People EP by Sufjan "better than Snow Patrol,Mr.Duncan" Stevens.

It's becoming an obession. Like being a kid and repeatedly playing the few records you had in your possession. In my case, circa '77, aged 12, it was ELO's New World Record, The Beach Boys' 20 Golden Greats, The Beatles 67-70 and The Story Of The Who. There is joy and value in compilations when it's all new to you.

I digress, but only Robert Plant's new one has been able to supplant the might of Sufjan. Neil Young's new album should arrive today, so that will be given a blast or two.

So I need to decide whether to actually play The Suburbs - I've got their first two, and mildly took to the first one - or leave it unplayed for a few months or a year. I take a silly, perverse pleasure in owning a current rave-reviewed album and refusing to play it. Friends and colleagues will blather on about it, like me with Sufjan, and appear incredulous when I say I haven't got round to it yet. The more they implore, the more I ignore.

Thanks Gerrard for the pointer.

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
daveh75:Craig M.:i preferred their first two, can't seem to get into the suburbs as much.Ditto...Not that impressed with The Suburbs

+1

did like it the first time I heard it. Especially this new upbeat feel to theri sound. Thins is that I got it along with Ray LaMontagne's latest album. Now there's an album I can't stop listening to!

A

Anonymous

I'm finding it really hard to like this album. The new Robert Plant album was a much better buy!

A

Anonymous

Sorry, but this CD just calls out for repeated plays. Once it kicks in it is a mixture of The Funeral and the Neon Bible but better! It's a cracker and my choice of CD for 2010 so far.

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:What an album!

emotion-21.gif
Utterly superb, best album of 2010. Weller's "Wake up the Nation" is a close second.

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:Gerrardasnails:What an album! The CD is gathering dust on top of my turntable. So I need to decide whether to actually play The Suburbs

Leave it where it is and buy it on vinyl!

It is magnificent.

I believe analogue recording was used with a double vinyl album being their purpose and the CD is an analogue transfer.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
oldleodensian:
Charlie Jefferson:Gerrardasnails:What an album! The CD is gathering dust on top of my turntable. So I need to decide whether to actually play The Suburbs

It is magnificent.

I believe analogue recording was used with a double vinyl album being their purpose and the CD is an analogue transfer.

Mmm, now you've piqued my interest.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
oldleodensian:

It is magnificent.

I would if I had a turntable! It's great that we all have different views. After reading the other lads saying they preferred the previous albums, I had a good play of them this week. The new one is the clear winner for me. Is it me or does it remind you of Journey?

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Is it me or does it remind you of Journey?

It's you!

Mind, there are some U2 moments in there, but with so much diversity on there there is lots going on. I hadn't heard that suburban 'howl' going on in some songs (like a wind) until a reviewer pointed it out - check out Empty Room for an example....
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I take back what I said. Its really starting to grow on me now...

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:oldleodensian:

It is magnificent.

Mmm, now you've piqued my interest.

Me too. Saw them at Reading and wasn't impressed but it had been long day and mrs Shooters back was hurting and I new about it!

I may hunt this down, er no I will hunt this down and give them another go!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:Gerrardasnails:Is it me or does it remind you of Journey?

It's you!

Mind, there are some U2 moments in there, but with so much diversity on there there is lots going on. I hadn't heard that suburban 'howl' going on in some songs (like a wind) until a reviewer pointed it out - check out Empty Room for an example....
emotion-1.gif

It's only one song and I agree about the U2 similarity and I'm not that much of a fan of theirs.

A

Anonymous

james_LR90:I take back what I said. Its really starting to grow on me now...

Good!

And Gerrard, I think U2 are patchy too. Definitely some influences in there though.....

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Ordered last week and delivered today on LP.

This is the first AF album i've bought. I know of the singles Keep the Car Running and No Cars Go so this album is a new experience at home. I'd listened to them at Reading Festival and didn't think much of them but it was a long day. So i took the plunge and ordered it hoping for a better one.

Doing a bit of research on the album and it was recorded and mixed in analog. Each track was recorded onto a 12 inch vinyl disc (what type i'm unsure) which was then used for the final digital master. That sound was then put to vinyl and CD so the EQ is the same.

Down to the listening and to sound is as it should be, analog like. The EQ isn't to clever though as the lower mids and bass notes have trouble distinguishing themselves. And because of it a lot of information (instrument wise) that should be there is partly lost in the melee. The separation could be so much better but this is there baby recording wise and they will learn a lot from it.

There seems to be some reference to the sounding like U2. I cant make comment on this as i don't know U2's music bar a few singles so i'll leave that to those in the know.

Do i like it, not sure yet. But i do like that they are trying the analog approach in recording, so hats off to them.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:The EQ isn't to clever though as the lower mids and bass notes have trouble distinguishing themselves. And because of it a lot of information (instrument wise) that should be there is partly lost in the melee. The separation could be so much better

i think there's an element of that in their previous efforts, wish they'd sort the sound quality out. some of the tracks can seem a bit like a wall of noise.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Craig M.:
shooter69:The EQ isn't to clever though as the lower mids and bass notes have trouble distinguishing themselves. And because of it a lot of information (instrument wise) that should be there is partly lost in the melee. The separation could be so much better

i think there's an element of that in their previous efforts, wish they'd sort the sound quality out. some of the tracks can seem a bit like a wall of noise.

Ah, really. Its one dimensional alright, i thought this was down to the recording technique as it hadn't been mentioned.

Yep then if its the third album like this it should of been sorted after the first.

Fingers X'd.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts