ARC - picture but no sound

SACripps

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I've got a Sky box, Panasonic Blu Ray and Sony soundbar hooked up to a newly bought Panasonic TV.

The soundbar is connected to the TV via HDMI ARC. This is allowing us to see menu screen on the soundbar, but we're not getting any sound from any of the components at all. Any ideas why this might be the case and even better any ideas for a remedy?

Would it be anything to do with the HDMI cable we're using the ARC connection? The firmware has also been updated on the soundbar. It's the Sony HT-XT2.

For now, we're using the digital optical connection between the soundbar and TV (works just fine with all components) but we'd prefer the flexibility of using ARC.

We've not had this set up before, so it's not a case of 'it worked with our old TV but not with the new one.'

Thanks for any advice!

SACripps

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Well, it all started working out of the blue...sort of.

By that, I mean that if an optical cable is also connected to the soundbase (which is connected at the other end of the cable to a CD player), I don't get any sound from my Sky box. Take out the optical cable and the sound returns...!

SACripps

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I spoke to Sony. They confirmed that I can only use the HDMI or optical connection for sound - not both!

In terms of full disclosure, this is my parents' set up and in terms of of all the equipment and how they would like it to be connected...

Equipment

Sky HD - they want to watch TV (obviously) via a soundbase and listen to the radio using it but not with the screen on and via a soundbase

CD player - it has RCA sockets only and they have no desire to upgrade it. I had been using a analogue to digital convertor to allow them to use the optical connection on the soundbase (which worked terrifically well).

Blu ray player - use it as intended (picture on the screen, sound via a soundbase, obviously!)

They don't want to use Bluetooth at all (too much fuss).

Possible solution

The Q Acoustics M2 Soundbase looks like a good option if used in the following way:

CD player connected via the line-in jack or RCAs
Sky audio connected via optical connection
Sky picture connected via HDMI
Blu ray connected to the soundbase via the TV, giving both vision and sound via HDMI

This is obviously on the basis that HDMI and optical connections can work in parallel.

SACripps

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I'm with you on all that, but I need a solution whereby they can play audio from the Sky box without the TV being on. Running a connection via HDMI requires the TV to be on, I would have thought.

Does this help?

"Sorted!
Sky Q connects to my Panasonic tv using HDMI2 but there is also a cable going into HDMI1. This cable comes from the ARC socket on my Sony receiver.
I selected BBC Radio 3 on the Sky Q box.
Using the tv remote I switched from HDMI2 to HDMI1 and then turned off the tv.
On the receiver remote I pressed the TV input button.
The music comes through.... 😀
Plus, I can change the station just by pressing the Up/Down arrow buttons on the Sky Q remote."

Reactions: Al ears

Scooby

Feb 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi, cant make new topic, always end with error :D

Can you please help me to solve problem.
I have Cambridge audio Azur 351a amp. Listening to music is fine, I use audio USB, from PC to AMP, and quality is excellent, at least I think so. Probem is waching movies - in this case I use HDMI from PC to TV, and than RCA from TV to AMP. And here audio quality is rubbish no matter what quality movie is. Must say RCA cable is cheap, maybe thats the problem?
So now im wonedering - what othere ways there could be to wach movies ? pre-amp with HDMI, processor? In this case how do i connect proccesor with my Azur ? What processort would you recomend to buy? Other ideas ?
If its neccesarry - speakers are Focal Chorus 716

Will be thankful for any answers
smile.gif

It depends what sort of quality your PC is chucking out, and what sort of quality the TV passes on - from the TV, you may be getting Dolby Digital at best. But that’s a moot point of the quality before that point isn’t up to scratch. Are you using physical media or streaming services for movies? Streaming services are usually low quality audio and video - even with Netflix’s much promoted sound quality improvement about a year ago, the audio bit rate is still only equivalent to what DVD was back in the 90s. Begs the question, if that was an upgrade, how low was it before!

Scooby

Feb 16, 2020
Visit site
well to be honest I dont even know what quality PC is chucking out, TV is quite old, about to replace it. Movies I wach on physical media, at least im woried on part i wach on phisycal media. True Apple TV I wach Netflix but as you said streaming quality is low, I feel it pretty well.

However I decided to go for AV receiver , it will make life easier. Beside my little Cambride audio amp is too small for my speakers.. but still, sound very well...

Thanks for your answer :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts