April 2011 - Various streaming options, but no actives?

T

the record spot

Liked the article around the options and thought it covered how many people will approach streaming, or computer audio. Just wondering why no actives featured in the piece given you'd reviewed various models in the past (Aktimates, AVI and ATC spring to mind)?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It could have been a much longer feature, involving not just active speakers but other alternatives, plus other media streaming, but we kept it to the most-asked topics from this Forum/readers letters for now. Much of that involves building on existing kit; hence our approach.

It's by no means the first or last time we'll cover streaming - for starters, the active-speaker option warrants a feature of its own (and there'll be one).

T

the record spot

Thanks Claire, is there any chance that feature might include brands not typically featured in WHF - I'm thinking of the likes of KRKs Rokit 5s or 6s (which would be in the same target market as the Epoz Aktimates, albeit without a dock), Yamaha HS50s, Tannoy Reveal 601As, etc? They all range from £250 to £500 a pair so would be in the sights for a fair share of the readers out there. Just a thought.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions - we're always exploring getting more brands in, even it means we have to buy kit in (and at that sort of price we may be able to afford it!)

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I feel that I must add my tupence worth and congratulate you all on a very good edition for this issue...I don't always buy it month to month (so expensive here in Ireland due to rediculous taxes on published material) but felt that the music file/streaming topic was of particular interest...and so it proved !
A comprehensive and involving read, but as stated above, I'm sure the digital download/storage topic will generate more interest as time goes on and become much more widely adopted.
Anyway, well done !!