April 2008 What Hi*Def guide left me with this question:

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The April issue answered one of my questions and I'm taking delivery of a new LCD today.

However, I'm at a lost re what Hi*Def player to buy.

I was thinking of a Panny DVD recorder but as the format war looks lost, I'd like a Blu-Ray player but with a recording facility, either to DVD or hard disc. Does such a beast exist? If not, when will they? Should I buy the Panny now or wait for Blu-Ray recorders?

All opinions welcome, thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
No UK Blu-ray recorders yet - and none scheduled for a good while yet. This Panasonic story tells you a little more on their plans (including their 2008 recorders).

A

Anonymous

Thanks,

So I guess the answer for now is either buy the Panny DMR-EX77 or wait for Blu-ray recorders.

Assuming I get the Panny,will the price of HD DVD begin to crash or should I get the above now at £200 which seems reasonable to me?

Cheers

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Blu-ray players have already begun to fall in price - but won't help with your recording need.

If it were my money, i'd wait for the new Panasonic DVD recorders to come out, as they promise even better DVD playback/upscaling than the current generation. Time and testing will tell if that claim's true, but with the new '8' series recorders due from April, there could be an even better option for you just around the corner...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Clare, I'll sit tight for now and wait for your review of the '8' series.

A

Anonymous

Clare (or anyone else),

Any further news on the new Panasonic DVD recorders? I can find technical details on a few websites (but not Panasonic's!) but I haven't yet found any launch dates or pricing info.

I'm interested in the DMREX 78 or the DMREX 88 and would also like to know if the upscaling is improved or not when compared to the current models.

Cheers

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
All the new models are due in shops by May - sorry, but Panasonic hasn't given us anything more specific than that (they're on its March/April/May release timeline). It may be sooner, as there seems to be frantic discounting of the 2007 models right now.

Re pricing, i'd expect them to come in at similar levels to last-year's models then fall in price after a little while (typical pattern). And as for improved upscaling - well, Pana claims it'll be better, but i'm not giving full creedence to those claims until we've tested the models. We'll let you know when that's going to be as soon as we know.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare,

Can I ask what you mean by frantic discounting?

I've seen the current DMR-EX 77 at £199 with Digital Direct but it's been at that price for a few weeks now.

Are there better offers available elsewhere?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Not that i've seen - but that's the sort of price-drop I was referring to: we gave it five stars at £300! The baby brother Award winner - the DMR-EZ27 - is also available for under £120, down from £200. In percentage terms, massive cuts....

A

Anonymous

Thanks again Clare,

One more question then I'll leave you in peace, although I suspect remixes won't:

You said earlier that you'd expect the new models to be similar in price to last year's models.

I take it you mean the Panasonic RRP and not the frantically discounted prices we discussed earlier.

If I have to chose between the old 77 at £200 and the new 78 at say £300 I think I'll get the 77 and buy a few DVDs to enjoy on it!

A

Anonymous

I am just about to purchase a brand new HD tv and am also thinking of buying a DVD/HD recorder. I have heard about upscaling and am unsure of how good it is.

How much difference will upscaling make on DVD playback? What is the standard 1080p/i or 720?Also is it possible to upscale a a satellite or cable signal.

Any answers would be much appreciated.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Any decent new flatscreen TV will include its own upscaling to suit its resolution (upscaling any input, plus its own Freeview tuner), but the best disc players and/or surround sound receivers (the latter which will handle multiple inputs, including cable/satelite) also include upscalers - some of which will be better than the one in your TV.

Again, the most recent (and best) players and receiver will upscale to 1080p, but they (or again, your set) will also handle 720p or 1080i if that suits your set's resolution better.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare,

Very impressed with the quick response. I am thinking of the new Panny ZX85 but have seen the PZ700 for £913 on Digital Direct. On the Panasonic US site the 700 is more expensive than the 85. Yet when i look at the spec of the 85 it looks slightly better. Any ideas as to why this is so? Basically what i am asking is which is going to be the better set for the money.

Your input is appreciated.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The PZ700 is last year's flagship model - an excellent set with Full HD spec, but with 24fps support via 3:2 pulldown.

The Z85 is from this year's range - again, Full HD but with true 24fps support. It won't have the very high-end features (enhanced sound; extra HDMI socket) this year's flagship range (you've guessed it, the Z800) will have.

We haven't tested an 85 or 800 set yet, as they're coming out after the initial '80' sets in this year's timeline.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, Clare

For the sake of £150, i may as well go for last years model as the spec looks pretty damn good and use the money saved to go for a slightly better AV receiver. My not so little but heavy Marantz SR 5200 is getting a bit long in the tooth now anyway. Any decent recommendations around the £500 bracket. I would like a good all rounder and primarily would like it for listening to music and movies/sport as a secondary.

I Would like to spend more but would have a job justifying it to the wife. Holiday abroad or a/v equipment, you know the score.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We're in changeover period for AV receivers, too - new models from Onkyo, Marantz and more due soon. I'd get your TV sorted and hang fire on your surround receiver for now until we've a) had chance to test the brand-new models and/or b) prices drop dramatically on the outgoing models.

A

Anonymous

Clare,

I've just ordered the DMREX77 at £200 so circa £150 cheaper than the new 78 model - I'm sure 160GB will be plenty memory enough for me. Thanks for all your help.

JohnnyBravo,

I'll be hooking this up to my Panny TX37LZD70 on Friday and will let you know how the two look together in terms of upscaling. Both handle 1080p so I'm expecting to be impressed.

A

Anonymous

Stunning!

Standard DVDs look and sound fantastic - the TV and DVD recorder cost about £900 together - great value.

The recordings are also excellent and the hard drive makes storing and retrieving stuff really easy.

A

Anonymous

I'm glad youu are happy. Was just about to buy my PZ 700 when they went out of stock. I am gutted, i shall have to spend an extra few pounds now.

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Just bought the Panasonic DMR-EX77, connected via HDMI to LCD flatscreen Samsung. The question: when I use FreeView I do not see any difference when switching resolution from 480p to 720p or 1080i. The flatscreen should reproduce 1080i (its not full HD) so there should be a difference to be seen I would think. Am I correct/is the unit faulty or is it all fine? The image looks good but its the principle... any response very appreciated.

andreas

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts