AppleTV + AirPort Express installation with BeBox (be internet)

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Should I expect any problems if I hook up AppleTV + AirPort Express to BeBox (be internet) rather than Apple WiFi Router?

Does the N WiFi network makes a bit difference for streaming music via WiFi?

Do you know if it's possible to hook up 2 WiFi routers together so I can have 2 WiFi networks at home? (I have a spare one)

John Duncan

Well I wouldn't expect any problems, but I'm sure Charlie would disagree, the problems he's had.......

Why would you want more than one network though?

N is good, but G is fine, in my experience.

John Duncan

But to answer your question more fully, I take it that you;re interested in creating a wifi network without having to buy an Apple Airport Extreme base station to do so? If that's the case, then yes - I use a Belkin router and it work's absolutely fine - when you set up Airport Express you just need to join the existing network. Or at least that's the theory, some here have had issues with it, but they should all be solvable if you go down that route.

cheers

JD

A

Anonymous

I did this a couple of days ago with an AE and a bebox, one of the older thomson ones, small blue and a single antenna

I understand there are newer ones that Be are sending out now.

I couldn't get the WDS mode to extend networks working, but joining the network to share music worked simply and easily.

I got one of the older G models from ebay cancomuk for about 40 quid,

A

Anonymous

madeinstein:
Do you know if it's possible to hook up 2 WiFi routers together so I can have 2 WiFi networks at home? (I have a spare one)

To clarify you mean having a couple of wifi base stations like the Airport ÿexpress connected to the BeBox and becoming a single network?

Technically this is possible, it is called WDS (wireless distribution system)

the AE supports it, the BeBox I think can, but it depends on the version of the firmware and the settings.

my plan is to turn off the wifi on the bebox, run this over ethernet to an old WRT54G and then use WDS from that and my AE, at some point. Out terrace is not really big enough to justify the work over the winter, wifi reaches from the front to the end of the back garden even on my iPhone...

My advice would be to get the AE running as a music device then add WDS if you really need itÿ

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Got AppleTV + AirportExpress.. no issues with installation I just connected everything to my existing WiFi network from bebox.. but I found something about apple TV that I didn't want to find.. more here.

TRENDING THREADS