Apple TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Always seems to me that non Apple users have a bigger problem with people owning Apple products than Apple users actually have with the Apple products they own.

Are Apple trying to take over the world. Not sure - what percentage of computers run Windoze? Could argue that people blindly buy a Windows pc without investigating the alternatives. How many Mac users go back to a Windows machine. Not many I would guess.

I used a windows pc for years from windows 95 to windows xp and each version one was as bad as the last - spent so much time trying to get it to what I wanted it to do.

Bought an iMac 3 years ago and have never looked back. Using a computer for the purpose that I bought it for and not spending hours trying to get it to work.

My iPod and iPhone have been exactly the same - easy to set up and use and they just work. If that means I have a lack of grip of the realities of modern technology and value of money then so be it.

John Duncan

edsib1:
sorry i missed that.

I was busy watching a blu-ray on my pc, browsing flash sites on my netbook - and then watching a couple of divx episodes on my phone.

Next I might stream some lossless Flac from my NAS to my amp, or stream an m2ts movie to my tv without the need for any other equipment.

All that non-proprietary technology hasn't helped your attention span then.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
edsib1:I was busy watching a blu-ray on my pc, browsing flash sites on my netbook - and then watching a couple of divx episodes on my phone.
Next I might stream some lossless Flac from my NAS to my amp, or stream an m2ts movie to my tv without the need for any other equipment.
Arguing aside, he has a point. Apple's user interface and ease of use is exemplary. If they were to address these issues (as-well-as DRM and an SSD drive option for the Mac mini), I believe they would increase their market share. Despite the fans and celebrity endorsements, they are a niche in the worldwide computer market.

I just don't understand the stubbornness and complacency.

Equally frustrating is Sonos. For me, it's the best dedicated music streaming device out there. I just wish they'd hurry with the 24bit/192kHz support. My money is waiting.

A

Anonymous

Yawn Yawn. I am happy in my Apple world where everything just works. I have experienced the other side and I have better things to do with my time then scanning for viruses, spyware etc and installing/reinstalling drivers.

So the formats are limited, and most software has to be approved by Apple but perhaps thats why it all just works.

I am not stubborn or complacent - I just like things to work first time. Not too much to ask I reckon.

I hear that Windows OS is going to be installed in some cars soon - can you imagine - always having to close windows, restarting it and you will never be able to get a second hand one as it won't recognise the new driver.

A

Anonymous

Arguing aside when you buy a new product whatever make, model etc you buy one that suits your own needs and budgets.

Apple do that for me. Up and running in minutes and do everything that I want them to do. I haven't been brainwashed by Steve Jobs - I have made an informed choice based on what I want.

If you want to watch and listen to all kinds of strange formats then you choose a product that suits you.

Apple audio and video formats do all that I want - looking forward to streaming music, photos and HD home movies (yes I know it will be ONLY 720p) if I get an Apple TV for xmas. Don't care about limited rental choice etc as I don't want it for that.

If you want flash on a mobile device then you don't buy an iPhone. Personally that doesn't bother me and hasn't limited my mobile browsing.

There is no right or wrong - just a product that suits your needs.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
bcookb1:There is no right or wrong - just a product that suits your needs.
Couldn't agree more. It's a shame the rest of your post does not correlate with that statement. Individuals such as yourself don't do companys like Apple any favours.

I believe Apple produce exemplary* products and solutions which can (and should) be improved upon. The only thing I question is the pace at which they seem to introduce/remove various features/limitations that the consumer is clearly interested in (e.g. Bluray and FLAC).

My comments were aimed at a global company yet you seem to have taken them personally (unless you are Steve Jobs himself, in which case welcome onboard!). Forumns are places for discussion, and I was simply expressing my view for the consideration of contibutors to this thread.

*There is a reason why so many companies imitate them.

A

Anonymous

Why do I not do Apple any favours?

Not as though I haven't bought other brands in the past.

Just get a bit fed up with people assuming that Apple products are bought by mindless consumers just wanting a 'cool' product.

On the whole that probably isn't the case as people don't part with money blindly.

Yes, there are limitations with them (I haven't bought an iPad for that very reason) but the ease of use and reliability more than make up for it.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
How many people here have had problems on apple products / itunes , windows or a microsoft software product?

just asking as i've had my fair share of microsoft problems in the past and i have had problems on itunes and only last week both log in accounts disappeared from my imac .

I have to say the apple care i got was second to none and after an hour and half on the phone it was all sorted , the itunes problems i've had have been sorted within 48 hours and i have normally done very well out of the situation .

I wish i could say i have had this kind of service with other company's but i couldn't name one

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
bcookb1:Why do I not do Apple any favours?
Not as though I haven't bought other brands in the past.

Just get a bit fed up with people assuming that Apple products are bought by mindless consumers just wanting a 'cool' product.

On the whole that probably isn't the case as people don't part with money blindly.

Yes, there are limitations with them (I haven't bought an iPad for that very reason) but the ease of use and reliability more than make up for it.
See, that was far better
emotion-1.gif

I was not having a go at you. In fact, it seems from the above we share a lot of the same views. It's just your previous two posts seemed more rant than discussion.

I was merely pointing this out, as-well-as making clear that (unlike others) I have nothing against Apple but indeed admire a lot of what they do.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Agree with bcookb1, there's no 'right or wrong' in this argument, it's just a case of choosing the product that best suits your needs. If you want a streaming device that handles all audio and video formats, then clearly Apple TV isn't it.

If, on the other hand - like me - you just want a simple, affordable small box that will connect instantly to your iMac/Macbook Pro/iPhone and stream your music, pictures and home videos to the telly, then it's great. Not perfect perhaps, but does the job I need it to with the minimum of fuss.

T

the record spot

JohnDuncan:

I think they're quite sweet. Like fluffy bunnies.

Well, by all accounts JD, that's maybe not quite the case according to some on here....

Illo_fbod_bunnies1.jpg

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Andy Clough:

Agree with bcookb1, there's no 'right or wrong' in this argument, it's just a case of choosing the product that best suits your needs. If you want a streaming device that handles all audio and video formats, then clearly Apple TV isn't it.

If, on the other hand - like me - you just want a simple, affordable small box that will connect instantly to your iMac/Macbook Pro/iPhone and stream your music, pictures and home videos to the telly, then it's great. Not perfect perhaps, but does the job I need it to with the minimum of fuss.

+1

A

Anonymous

Apologies if my previous posts seemed like rants - they wern't meant to be.

Bit annoying when assumptions are made about Apple users that simply aren't true. Most are fully aware of the alternatives and the limitations that Apple products may have - all depends if that bothers you. If it does then you buy something else. All down to choices.

Noone has brainwashed me into buying them and I have found their customer service to be second to none. Staff in their shops are friendly, helpful and in no way 'encourage' you to buy anything.

Agree totally with Andy - of course the Apple TV has perhaps limited appeal but for the average home user who wants to effortless stream media from iMac, Macbook, iPhone etc then its great.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
bcookb1:Apologies if my previous posts seemed like rants - they wern't meant to be.
No need to apologise. Having read this thread from the beginning I can see where your frustration stemmed from. But vehement generalisations of the "other side" don't help. Many use Windows without any problems.

Personally, I agree with you. Apple products are exemplary in what they do, from both a hardware and software perspective.

It's just that some of the limitations are frustrating. For example, and getting back on topic, the Apple TVs implementation of a fixed 48kHz output. Why no native playback for 44.1kHz?

A

Anonymous

AL13N:
It's just that some of the limitations are frustrating. For example, and getting back on topic, the Apple TVs implementation of a fixed 48kHz output. Why no native playback for 44.1kHz?

I am interested in getting an Apple TV so would like to know in what way the lack of 44.1kHz native playback might cause difficulties or frustrations for me?

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Veri:I am interested in getting an Apple TV so would like to know in what way the lack of 44.1kHz native playback might cause difficulties or frustrations for me?
None whatsoever.

Unless you care about bit-transparency.

Windows 7 and iTunes 7+ do a good job of upsampling, but Apple TV does not use either. The architecture it uses for SRC is unknown. Poor SRC can cause distortion (see the Benchmark wiki).
Plus there are those that simply prefer their music to be sent to their Hi-Fi system untouched.

Personally, I'd say if you're planning on getting the Apple TV because it adds features you really want, then go for it. Life's too short for such worries. Besides, the SRC it utilises could be just as good as iTunes 7+. And more importantly, if you like the way it sounds then nothing else matters.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Veri:

AL13N:

I am interested in getting an Apple TV so would like to know in what way the lack of 44.1kHz native playback might cause difficulties or frustrations for me?

In theory it might, maybe, slightly, whatever. In practice my ears say no.

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I've been using the Apple TV2 for more than a month. I notice that playing music via HDMI (QED Performance) is better than via the optical out (TCI Coral). Could the difference be due to the cable quality? Or 48 vs. 44.1khz?

Anyone else notice the same thing?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts