Apple TV vs Airprot Express

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Fuzzy Bear

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
This is very interesting. I think you have given me an solution to my next purchase. I was considering getting the Airport express for music from laptop to my amp wirelessly, and then also separately the WD TV live for movie play back from a hard drive. Would the 1st gen Apple TV do both? Does airtunes with apple tv only mean I need the ATV and laptop running. The 1st gen seems a solution because the newest ATV only has optical audio out, and I don't have a dac. Seems a no brainer price wise as possible future function upgrades.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If you have everything in iTunes, the first Apple TV would allow you to sync all your content to the Apple TV's internal hard drive (as long as there was enough space). With this therefore, you wouldn't need your laptop on at all (apart from to import and sync new items) as everything is available on the Apple TV. You can control it either via the remote and TV or via the iPhone / iPod Touch Remote app if just listening to music. The second gen Apple TV has no hard drive, so you would need your laptop on for this to stream everything from iTunes.

If you don't use iTunes for everything though, it's not a great solution as you'd need to import everything in to work, which could be a pain.

Fuzzy Bear

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
Aaaa, many thanks. It seems like there is limited file support as well. And only two options for hard drive. 40 and 160 gb. Music wise that would all be filled, but I don't find myself watching that much video content in a week. Guess if I only want to sync up the video content and leave music on the laptop would be less of a problem though. Not really bothered about leaving laptop running though, as I wanted AE functionality anyway. Wireless printing feature on AE will be a bonus too. Finally get rid of all desktop, and the furniture that comes with the whole set up.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just to be clear, anything you can't fit on the 1st Gen Apple TV can still be streamed directly from iTunes on your laptop. So it doesn't have to be on the hard drive to be played, it's just potentially easier if you can sync everything locally and not worry about having your laptop / desktop switched on (the main reason I got one of the older versions rather than the new version).

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
professorhat:
Just to be clear, anything you can't fit on the 1st Gen Apple TV can still be streamed directly from iTunes on your laptop. So it doesn't have to be on the hard drive to be played, it's just potentially easier if you can sync everything locally and not worry about having your laptop / desktop switched on (the main reason I got one of the older versions rather than the new version).

Me too.

It's nice to come home, open the remote app and start playing music. No TV, no Computer.

The only downside is that if you have a big back catalogue, you have to be selective but how many people listen to all their music or want to watch all their films? Streaming is always an option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts