Apple TV to Amp quick question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all. I have just bought an Apple TV 2 which has an optical audio out. But my amp has no optical in. As a temporary measure, I've plugged the optical lead into my Samsung TV and then out via the headphone jack into the amp.

I'm guessing this is a bad way around things.........but what would be the best way to solve the situation?

Thanks in advance!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
What you need is some kind of external DAC i.e. a digital to analogue converter - this will take the digital signal from the ATV2's optical output and convert it to an analogue signal which your amp will understand (via a standard RCA phono lead).

They come in all shapes and sizes (and prices). Try looking here for a start (though make sure you look for one with a digital optical input).

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
As mentione earlier a DAC is possible and will get you what you want, or you could plug it into your TV via HDMI and use analogue audio outs (if it has them). The DAC will give you the better sound of course . . Just a case of how much you're looking to spend. And whether you have a TV included in the system.

A

Anonymous

Cheers guys, I don't have any phono audio outs on the TV all I have is headphone out and optical out.

I take it the TV must have some kind of DAC built into it then?

So it looks like I need a DAC then, can anyone recommend a decent one for under £100 or is that too little to spend?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
This one looks okay for under £40 (WHF review here). Or its bigger brother for a bit more money (WHF review here). Main obvious benefit (other than the USB input of course) seems to be acceptance of 24-bit / 192 kHz music files through the optical - may be useful for you in the future?

(NB - just to be clear, Apple TV won't export 24-bit hi-def music files, but you never know what you might get in the future!)

TRENDING THREADS