Apple or PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

raym87:
I am starting to lean towards the mac.....especially with leopard and the included boot camp you can install winDdows as well (if i REALLY have to)......The Mac Mini will be more than enough for my needs. Dont want a laptop again and I have a decent tft display that I could use. Although modestly specified, from what I have read apple operating system overheads are far less demanding than windows.

The general consensus seems to be that once you have used a mac you wont go back to a pc. I am starting to convince myself here........

No, I actually find XP easier to use than OSX. It's the little things like being able to size windows from any corner, not just the bottom right; sending mail is Alt-S instead of Shift-Command-D; screen shots are "Print Screen" instead of some weird other combo; EVERYTHING can be done from the keyboard, not just the mouse etc

The interface is gorgeous though, and some things work much more efficiently (searching your hard drive for example).

Oh and for those thinking of getting MS Office for OSX, don't bother - you'd think it would be completely compatible with Windows Office, but if you're interested in programming it with VBA, you're SOL - get NeoOffice instead, which is a port of OpenOffice to the Mac, and is very good (and free).

A

Anonymous

Eric2:If your thinking about a mac mini, it might be worth waiting for Macworld Expo in January.Rumour is there might be a new Mac Mini. It's only a few weeks away.

Interesting info....many thanks......will do.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:raym87:
I am starting to lean towards the mac.....especially with leopard and the included boot camp you can install winDdows as well (if i REALLY have to)......The Mac Mini will be more than enough for my needs. Dont want a laptop again and I have a decent tft display that I could use. Although modestly specified, from what I have read apple operating system overheads are far less demanding than windows.

The general consensus seems to be that once you have used a mac you wont go back to a pc. I am starting to convince myself here........

No, I actually find XP easier to use than OSX. It's the little things like being able to size windows from any corner, not just the bottom right; sending mail is Alt-S instead of Shift-Command-D; screen shots are "Print Screen" instead of some weird other combo; EVERYTHING can be done from the keyboard, not just the mouse etc

The interface is gorgeous though, and some things work much more efficiently (searching your hard drive for example).

Oh and for those thinking of getting MS Office for OSX, don't bother - you'd think it would be completely compatible with Windows Office, but if you're interested in programming it with VBA, you're SOL - get NeoOffice instead, which is a port of OpenOffice to the Mac, and is very good (and free).

Sorry for the irrelevant "contribution", but its amazing, all these individual differences and interpretations. I use a pc, so have no issue with your preference for it john, but i never even knew you could send an email that way lol! i much prefer finding ways to do things with the mouse.

On the other hand, ive nothing against apple stuff as ive never used it. I'm worried about trying it as a computer as opposed to just as a music server simply because i dont like change that much (oh dear) and i dont want to spend too much time learning a new OS, or any software. Also, unlike some here, computers are not, and never will be, "what i do".

Meh. Vive la difference!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Compared to the MVS (XA, ESA, OS/390) JES2, JCL, VM, CICS, SNA, VTAM, OS400, TSO, ISPF stuff that I learnt back in the 1980s onwards, ANY of these silly PC/Mac OS's are a doddle!

Back in the old days if I needed to 'program' a function key I had to use a command like this...

K N,PFK=(4,CMD='£TPRT1,q=_'),con=y

(Press PF4 bring up a command on screen that will change print classes on printer 1 in 'conversational' mode so you can enter your revised print classes. The underscore denotes where the cursor will appear when the command comes up.)

A

Anonymous

al7478:Octopo:
The Mini is being discontinued soon, maybe its replacement (if there is one) will be more tempting!

(and yes, larger the library longer the loading time)ÿ

Apologies for the lack of linkage, but it is'nt, as you'll find if you google it.Indeed, reps of apple have been known to contact concerned custiomers to put their minds at rest, and some say that mac mini fans will be in for a treat in the not too distant future...There is, by the by, a thread on the Computer Audiophile site about this.

Understand your lack of linkage so I hope you'll excuse mine. All my sources tell me it is though, google not involved. Don't mind either way, perhaps it is just the current model being discontinued?ÿ

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:

ÿNo, I actually find XP easier to use than OSX. It's the little things like being able to size windows from any corner, not just the bottom right; sending mail is Alt-S instead of Shift-Command-D; screen shots are "Print Screen" instead of some weird other combo; EVERYTHING can be done from the keyboard, not just the mouse etc

I'm the complete opposite - depends what you grew up on I suppose. You can program OSX keyboard functions any which way you want. I find mouse (or pen in my case) functions to be extremely handy though, I can access almost anything with two flicks of a finger.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:al7478:Octopo:
The Mini is being discontinued soon, maybe its replacement (if there is one) will be more tempting!

(and yes, larger the library longer the loading time)ÿ

Apologies for the lack of linkage, but it is'nt, as you'll find if you google it.Indeed, reps of apple have been known to contact concerned custiomers to put their minds at rest, and some say that mac mini fans will be in for a treat in the not too distant future...There is, by the by, a thread on the Computer Audiophile site about this.

Understand your lack of linkage so I hope you'll excuse mine. All my sources tell me it is though, google not involved. Don't mind either way, perhaps it is just the current model being discontinued?ÿ

Ooh, the intrigue...

Quite keen to know whats going on too, as its my fav server idea i think, but im biding my time and just using my every day pc for now.

A

Anonymous

when u think about it logically theres nothing you can't do on a pc and they're half the price. if you want to do anthing more then click on an icon they are a pain especially if you've just got used to a pc and forget about upgrading. Apple no this thats why they are slowly turning into them, first with the intel then with mouse now with bootcamp. hense why they are becoming more popular.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts