Apple MBP issue - No audio digital out to receiver

EekOZ

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
So I've purchased a mini toslink (3.5mm) to toslink (spdif) that I intended to use as a connection from my mbp (15inch mid 2012 running el capitan) to my Marantz PM 6005 integrated amp which has an optical input and built in DAC.

Problem is, connecting this yields no audio through my amp. When connecting the mini toslink, the mbp recognises that it's a digital optical out, and I can see red light pass through. On the amp I have selected the correct source (optical - though I've cycled through all with the hope of a magical solution), but the source indicator (blue) light just flashes.

I have checked audio midi setup, and it recognises the connection as a digital out, with clock source as default, and format as 44100.0 Hz and 2ch-24bit integer. I have tried all possible combinations with no luck. I also thought it might be the cable, but replacing it has not solved the problem.

Am I missing something? Anyone come across this and suggestions to a fix?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok daft question alert but have you tried changing it to 16bit in audio-midi setup? I can't see why this would make any difference to be honest but like you I'm stuck.

EekOZ

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Ok daft question alert but have you tried changing it to 16bit in audio-midi setup? I can't see why this would make any difference to be honest but like you I'm stuck.

Tried that and all other possible alternatives (incl. 16bit) with no luck. Only possibility i can think of is drivers on the mac? Optical on the amp worked fine when i tried my xbox on it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Strange thing is you said you could see the red light down the cable, so the Mac is transmitting...it doesn't need extra drivers to make it work. I really don't know why they just wouldn't automatically pair with each other.

EekOZ

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Strange thing is you said you could see the red light down the cable, so the Mac is transmitting...it doesn't need extra drivers to make it work. I really don't know why they just wouldn't automatically pair with each other.

I know, has me totally stumped. Only other possibility I could think of was mac was transmitting at 5ch which means the stereo amp won't receive the signal, but Audio Midi says 2ch, so can't be that either.

That said, also tried the mac on my AVR and wasn't working on there either.

Either the cable isn't working or El Capitan is not yet supporting digital audio?

Cable was bought new though and exchanged because i thought it may have been a faulty cable. Maybe it's a faulty batch of cables, lol.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts