Apple Lossless rips to Android Phone

scene

OK, so I've got my shiny new Nexus 4 and I've got (most of) my CDs ripped in Apple Lossless format on my NAS (under iTunes). For the moment, I don't want to lose the Apple Lossless version, and a full copy of all of them won't fit on the phone in lossless format.

So please help, what's the best way of getting them onto the Nexus?

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
The andLess app will play Apple Lossless on Android but needs an update for Nexus 4. Well I can't get it to work on a Nexus 4, anyway...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.avs234&hl=en

scene

Joe Cox said:
The andLess app will play Apple Lossless on Android but needs an update for Nexus 4. Well I can't get it to work on a Nexus 4, anyway...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.avs234&hl=en

That sounds interesting - if it can be got to work!

But, as I said earlier, I don't think I can fit my whole lossless library onto the Nexus, so may have to look at the transcoding option.

A

Anonymous

Download google music manager from google play and install onto a PC which can see you NAS based music folders.

Run the program with an appropriate search location and it will load all your music into the cloud and accessible via any device android device or PC browser

Mine where all WMA lossless, even more esoteric than Apple lossless, and it worked fine.

scene

shanej66 said:
Download google music manager from google play and install onto a PC which can see you NAS based music folders.

Run the program with an appropriate search location and it will load all your music into the cloud and accessible via any device android device or PC browser

Mine where all WMA lossless, even more esoteric than Apple lossless, and it worked fine.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Three questions:

1. Do you have to load them into the cloud

2. Does it transcode them to MP3 as part of the upload, or do you select the format when downloading?

3. Actually, when you say "accessible via any android device", does this mean you play them (streamed?) from the cloud, or can you physically download them to your droid device?

daveh75

scene said:
Three questions:

1. Do you have to load them into the cloud

Yes

2. Does it transcode them to MP3 as part of the upload,

Yes, it transcodes aac,ogg, wma and flac to mp3 (320kbps)

3. Actually, when you say "accessible via any android device", does this mean you play them (streamed?) from the cloud, or can you physically download them to your droid device?

Either

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Something like Winamp would let you sync portions of your collection to your Android Phone. (either as ALAC or converted as MP3)

If you want to play ALAC on Android - then Poweramp or PlayerPro are good choices.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

You might want to try the google music manager anyway as it has very recently undergone a pretty major revision whereby it does not by default upload your albums to the cloud, transcoding as it goes. It now primarily just identifies you music and adds it to your cloud based collection (working on the principle the music is already in the cloud, just not neccessarily attached to your collection. I believe for unidentified music it still uploads).

If that does not work, there is always www.doubletwist.com which syncs your itunes playlists to android phones either wired or wirelessly (the later option costs I believe) and I believe it transcodes to mp3 in the process (would need to check as its been a while)

Last option I can think of is that itunes used to allow you to create another version of your music in a lossy (and therefore more compact format), while keeping the original lossless. If that works then the google music manager should be able to pick it up.

Why the cloud - For me it means my music is accessible from my PC, Phone and tablet. Recently changed Android phone and once I entered my google user - music collection appeared more or less instantaneously with no connection to PC required.

daveh75

shanej66 said:
Hi,

You might want to try the google music manager anyway as it has very recently undergone a pretty major revision whereby it does not by default upload your albums to the cloud, transcoding as it goes. It now primarily just identifies you music and adds it to your cloud based collection (working on the principle the music is already in the cloud, just not neccessarily attached to your collection. I believe for unidentified music it still uploads).

It wont work, Play doesn't support ALAC....

I only started re-using it when i got my N4/it officially launched in the UK, so after the revamp including scan and match.

My collection is mainly FLAC, with some mp3 and aac, all these were matched/uploaded fine, the 20 or so ALACs I had all failed (with unsupported file format errors) and i had to transcode them.

Which is why i advised Scene would need to transcode his ALAC collection from the outset, and suggested mp3 as it will make the uploading process faster.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I play ALAC files via the Power Amp app on my Galaxy phone. If I need more space I convert them with 'easy cd extractor', which converts massive libraries very fast since it has very good multi-core support - you can assign it as many cpus to the process as you wish.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts